Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Upgrade on Codeshare - am I outta luck?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
AA Upgrade on Codeshare - am I outta luck?

So, I'm new to the whole codeshare thing. Most of my international travel was done when I lived in NYC and I was able to fly direct just about anywhere. I wasn't aware that most airlines bar mileage upgrades when their flight is part of a codeshare with another airline. It seems weird to me because essentially all I'm asking for it a different seat on the exact same flight and I'm paying for it with miles and $$. I mean, I'm checking in at the LAX AA terminal, getting an AA boarding pass and will be flying on an AA plane, so...??

I booked my flight thru the Iberia website because it was cheaper by $200 for the exact same route. I guess that's part of the problem, right, AA wants to punish me for not paying the extra $200 and booking thru them. I only wanted to upgrade my domestic leg from LAX - BOS on American, but AA said "no dice."

Has anyone had any luck mileage upgrading at check-in on this type of flight? or did I just learn a valuable lesson about codeshare arrangements?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
As per aa.com:

Upgrade is valid to the next class of service and valid on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
It's complete and utter BS. And its the one thing UA does right. I once upgraded a UA flight booked with a US flight number with a UA mileage upgrade while crediting to US. The reverse doesn't apply for US flights though.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by spycygrl
So, I'm new to the whole codeshare thing. Most of my international travel was done when I lived in NYC and I was able to fly direct just about anywhere. I wasn't aware that most airlines bar mileage upgrades when their flight is part of a codeshare with another airline. It seems weird to me because essentially all I'm asking for it a different seat on the exact same flight and I'm paying for it with miles and $$. I mean, I'm checking in at the LAX AA terminal, getting an AA boarding pass and will be flying on an AA plane, so...??

I booked my flight thru the Iberia website because it was cheaper by $200 for the exact same route. I guess that's part of the problem, right, AA wants to punish me for not paying the extra $200 and booking thru them. I only wanted to upgrade my domestic leg from LAX - BOS on American, but AA said "no dice."

Has anyone had any luck mileage upgrading at check-in on this type of flight? or did I just learn a valuable lesson about codeshare arrangements?
A codeshare is where another airline sells you a seat on their flight number operated by another carrier. It's not about punishment. AA didn't sell you a seat on their flight. You bought a seat on an Iberia flight that happens to be on use AA resources. In addition to not getting upgrades, you might get a smaller number of FF miles or none at all.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Can you clarify: are you on an AA flight # from LAX-BOS or it an IB # from LAX-BOS?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yep, it was a learning experience, and the way the airline looks at it is you got what you paid for - you saved $200 by booking it as an Iberia codeshare on American, and their rules are pretty clear. It's not their intent to punish you, but in effect, you are feeling punished.

It's very unlikely you will get the opportunity to upgrade an IB flight operated by AA.

I sometimes book SFO-ORD-MAD-??? as Iberia flights because they can indeed be cheaper that way, but I usually book those in I class - discounted Business Class on Iberia's nice Business Class service transatlantic, and AA domestic First 767 SFO-ORD. Different kettle of fish, of course, but I am not seeking nor able to upgrade under those circumstances.

Read more here - you can learn a lot from our knowledgeable members without paying for it in unexpected experiences.

So, I'm new to the whole codeshare thing... <snip> I booked my flight thru the Iberia website because it was cheaper by $200 for the exact same route. I guess that's part of the problem, right, AA wants to punish me for not paying the extra $200 and booking thru them. I only wanted to upgrade my domestic leg from LAX - BOS on American, but AA said "no dice."

Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
The latter.

If it makes you feel any better, I think we've all had (at least) a lesson or two we've had to learn the hard way.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Can you clarify: are you on an AA flight # from LAX-BOS or it an IB # from LAX-BOS?
I am on AA Flight #222 from LAX-BOS. My itinerary from Iberia actually lists BOTH flight numbers: IBERIA - IB 7007/AA 0222. When I called AA Aadvantage desk, they could see my reservation and I was able to change my seat choices thru the website.

I was told by the AA agent that I would still be checking in at AA (not Iberia) at LAX, so that is part of my confusion. If they are able to check me in, why aren't they able to upgrade me using my miles? As I said, maybe I'm stupid, but I'm going to be on that flight no matter what. I will be sitting in either seat 26J (or whatever) or in seat 2A if they let me upgrade. It's a difference of like 20 yards.

As I said, this exact same itinerary (all the same flights and carriers) is also available from AA.com for $200 more than I paid. So, it's not like it's some "nutty" itinerary cobbled together by Iberia.

Again...I'm new to the codeshare thing and I guess I should have done my research before I purchased.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:05 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
You always check in with the actual carrier. Since you're on the Iberia flight number, they're getting a fair chunk of the money. So, being in the same seat either way is not the same to AA financially. This is why they limit things like upgrades and mileage earning when someone does that.

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
You always check in with the actual carrier. Since you're on the Iberia flight number, they're getting a fair chunk of the money. So, being in the same seat either way is not the same to AA financially. This is why they limit things like upgrades and mileage earning when someone does that.

Cheers.
Fair enough...

Thanks to everyone for the replies...I always learn a ton from this board and guess I should have tempered my flight purchase until I did the "codeshare" research up front. NEXT TIME!
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No worries. As oklAAhoma says, we have probably all paid our dues - I know I have. The time I lost miles because I flew on a oneworld codeshare - on a non-oneworld operated flight; the time I only earned a percentage of miles flown because I was on a oneworld low-fare flight. There's more, of course, but not much since I joined FlyerTalk! And that also definitely translated to more upgrades, choice seats, better treatment, etc. etc.

Fair enough...

Thanks to everyone for the replies...I always learn a ton from this board and guess I should have tempered my flight purchase until I did the "codeshare" research up front. NEXT TIME!
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:41 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
No worries. As oklAAhoma says, we have probably all paid our dues - I know I have. The time I lost miles because I flew on a oneworld codeshare - on a non-oneworld operated flight; the time I only earned a percentage of miles flown because I was on a oneworld low-fare flight. There's more, of course, but not much since I joined FlyerTalk! And that also definitely translated to more upgrades, choice seats, better treatment, etc. etc.
Which brings up another point, if you are on a discount fare on IB, don't anticipate on earning the same number of miles you actually fly, as IB only awards a fraction of the miles flown on discount fares
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

spycygrl - don't feel all that bad. Even if you were booked on the AA flight purchased through IB in conjunction with an IB segment, there's a good chance you wouldn't have been able to process a mileage upgrade in advance either. AA has to re-issue the ticket to process the upgrade and if it is an IB ticket that causes problems.
This has happened to me on a Cathay Pacific ticket HKG-LAX connecting to an AA flight LAX-JFK. I was able to upgrade the AA segment at LAX at which point it was easier for AA to take over the ticket since the CX segment had already been flown. I think some people here have had similar experiences while others have had different experiences. YMMV as they say.

You can still try asking at the airport, but even if they will process it, they're going to charge you the award expedite fee, which I believe will be $100.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You can still try asking at the airport, but even if they will process it, they're going to charge you the award expedite fee, which I believe will be $100.
Good to know! As I said, while I sure could have used an upgrade for a portion of this Planes, Trains & Automobiles escapade, I will have a 3 hour layover in Boston awaiting my IB connection, which gives me plenty of time to stretch my legs, eat a real ($$) meal and have a couple of martinis before the next leg.

Side Note:
I'm not an Iberia FF and it looks like I potentially only get 30% of the miles on AA if I use that FF #. The AA gal did say I would still earn all my miles for the domestic portions, at least. Is it worth registering with IB even tho I don't think I will be flying them again any time soon?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:41 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Is it worth registering with IB even tho I don't think I will be flying them again any time soon?
Probably not. Those miles will very likely go to waste, so you're really looking at 0 miles versus 30% miles...unless you think you might use them again and accumulate enough miles to actually use them.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.