Search

Disadvantages of AA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GITU
Did I read this right: you can qualify for EXP by getting enough points (100k in this case)? So if I have 80k EQMs and 130k EQPs, I will get EXP for the following year?
Yup. 100K EQM, 100K EQP or 100 segments. All of this may be found in the AAdvantage program rules on AA.com. Very valuable reading if you're considering joining the program, especially at the EXP level.

Cheers.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Did I read this right: you can qualify for EXP by getting enough points (100k in this case)? So if I have 80k EQMs and 130k EQPs, I will get EXP for the following year?
Correct, I tend to neglect this fact (as my company only flies me coach )

You can qualify by EQM, EQP, or segments. Full details:
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...quirements.jsp
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
I read the brochure of EXP but didn't read the fine print.

Sounds awesome. Seems like AAdvantage is my new programme.

Addendum: I've read this page. Excuse this question, however, if I earn bonus miles do they count, or is the way to earn *elite status* by this chart only (not counting the bonus miles elites already earn, just by flying biz/first)?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but it would be mathematically impossible to have more than 120k eqps with 80k eqms. You could theoretically earn EXP at 66,667 eqms if all were at full fare coach or premium cabin fares.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Yes, you would get it for the current and following year.
So, if earned in 2009, EXP would expire at the end of Feb 2011.
Additionally, based on last year's experiences, if you fail to qualify for any status in 2010, then on March 1, 2011 you would only be dropped to Platinum.

As a bonus, if you signed up for AADER (also a double EQM promo), you would have received a bonus for getting at least 125K EQM/EQP in 2008. You could choose from among 2 Systemwide upgrades, 25K redeemable miles, gold status for a friend, and I forget the rest.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Yes, but it would be mathematically impossible to have more than 120k eqps with 80k eqms. You could theoretically earn EXP at 66,667 eqms if all were at full fare coach or premium cabin fares.
Okay. So I take it the 50/100 per cent bonuses mean nothing in calculating the EQPs.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:41 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Okay. So I take it the 50/100 per cent bonuses mean nothing in calculating the EQPs.
Correct. It's all in the aforementioned documentation on AA.com.

Cheers.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct. Bonus miles are never qualifying miles other than the 500 mile minimum. Qualifying miles are flight miles and qualifying points are computed based on qualifying miles.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Also, with AA, once you earn 1,000,000 lifetime miles (from any source, including credit card spending), you will be Gold for life; and at 2,000,000 you will be Platinum for life. I passed that 2,000,000 threshold 3 years ago and I am PLT for life even though I don't fly that much any more because I am now retired. But the few times a year I fly AA or a one-world partner, I am given all the benefits of a PLT customer. I don't think any other airline offers this, but I am not sure.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: Grounded
Originally Posted by srk123
Also, with AA, once you earn 1,000,000 lifetime miles (from any source, including credit card spending), you will be Gold for life; and at 2,000,000 you will be Platinum for life. I passed that 2,000,000 threshold 3 years ago and I am PLT for life even though I don't fly that much any more because I am now retired. But the few times a year I fly AA or a one-world partner, I am given all the benefits of a PLT customer. I don't think any other airline offers this, but I am not sure.
UA has something similar. Wouldn't surprise me if DL did as well.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by MrPink
DL does, but only MQMs (the DL equivalent of EQMs) count toward million-miler status.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ty97
If you are Platinum (equivalent to OneWorld Ruby) or higher, you will have access to BA lounges.
PLAT is OW Sapphire, not Ruby. Ruby is GLD and pretty much useless.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrPink
Only AA use miles from all sources to calculate lifetime earnings.

Other airlines require strict BIS miles. Major difference.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: CO/DL:Gold, UA:PremExec; Marriott:Gold, Hilton:Silver
Originally Posted by Happy
Only AA use miles from all sources to calculate lifetime earnings.

Other airlines require strict BIS miles. Major difference.
This is (IMO) a valuable perk of the AAdvantage program - that all miles count towards lifetime earnings.

UA counts only flight (or BIS) miles earned on UA metal

DL counts all EQMs, regardless of how you earned them

CO counts all EQMs, regardless of how you earned them AND gives you the opportunity to register a spouse/partner to share your Elite level.

US, to my knowledge, has eliminated any formal million-miler program.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
One of the few disadvantages with AA are the decreasing number of partners, the lack of partners within the US (east), the few miles that the existing members give. One can book codeshares and earn miles like it was an AA flights (i.e. unlike * the rules of the flight# apply). However codeshares could be more expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.