Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RDU LHR - how long will it last?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:17 am
Original Poster

RDU LHR - how long will it last?

Have any of you road warriors seen AA permanently canceling any international flights yet? I need to book several trips to LHR thru spring and early summer on this route. Every time I look at availability, these flights are running way less than full. I keep hearing this route gets subsidized by Glaxo but I don't know if that's true, or if they will be able to keep subsidizing if they are. AA usually slaps a 777 on this route around May, and looks like that for sure ain't happening.

How long will AA wait before pulling the plug on an international flight? Oh, the perils of a small airport . . .

Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage GLD/BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by MizLiz
Have any of you road warriors seen AA permanently canceling any international flights yet? I need to book several trips to LHR thru spring and early summer on this route. Every time I look at availability, these flights are running way less than full. I keep hearing this route gets subsidized by Glaxo but I don't know if that's true, or if they will be able to keep subsidizing if they are. AA usually slaps a 777 on this route around May, and looks like that for sure ain't happening.

How long will AA wait before pulling the plug on an international flight? Oh, the perils of a small airport . . .

Thanks.
It is highly unlikely that AA will cancel its route. I know (with relative certainty) that this route is one of AA biggest intl money makers. Therefore, i consider it highly unlikely that AA will cancel this route. Plus, currently, AA may stick another 777 on this route. The 763 currently has inadequate capacity, and a lot of the corporate customers that AA services on this route are complaining.

-AirBrit
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA PRO, BA, QF, UA, DL, Marriott, Priority Rewards Gold
This route always surprises me! I guess the research triangle helps.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I also don't think this route is going anywhere. I think GSK fills the premium cabin(s) and will not be surprised to see it switch back to 777 at some point. I also remember reading on a.net that AA also has a significant amount of cargo on this route (not sure if it's true as I've never been on the route). I was scheduled to take this route last summer on a Y award ticket, but was able to switch to DFW-LHR as availability opened up.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewRob
This route always surprises me! I guess the research triangle helps.
AA has corporate contracts with several RDU-area companies, guaranteeing a certain level of travel in F and J. Trust me, that's the ONLY reason why this route is in AA's system.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
AA has corporate contracts with several RDU-area companies, guaranteeing a certain level of travel in F and J. Trust me, that's the ONLY reason why this route is in AA's system.
The F contract did not work out, GONE.
If they could fill a 777 with cargo in both directions they would still be using it.
Cargo business overall in January was down >20%.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by formeraa
I would also suspect that are two sides of that table as well. AA may very well be guaranteeing a certain level of travel, but on the same token I suspect there is a stipulation that said companies meet certain volumes of seats or dollars. If, in these tough times, those companies start failing to honor their side of the agreement I'd imagine this route could go bye bye...

Regards
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:23 pm

That flight isn't going anywhere. It makes a lot of money from the corporate traffic (Glaxo being just one employer that utilizes it.) Duke, UNC and NC State are in the area along with a number of companies (Lenovo, Cisco, etc.). One recent flight I was on had over 20 UK-based Glaxo reps headed home; front of the plane was full.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Has anyone seen award availability in J on these flights. I am looking for a flight in September and there is plenty of Y, but no J awards .
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by holocker
Has anyone seen award availability in J on these flights. I am looking for a flight in September and there is plenty of Y, but no J awards .

I'm seeing RDU-LHR J award availability Sept. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10,11,12,14,16,18,23,24,28,29, and 30. I'm seeing LHR-RDU J award availability Sept. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13,16,17,21,23,24,28,29, and 30.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
The J award availability I am seeing on those dates is via connecting flights out of RDU- not the nonstops. Since I am using RDU as my gateway city and stopping American will only let me book the nonstop.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:01 pm

Plus, if this route ever goes away RDU would be an AirCanada flight to Toronto away from losing its "International" designation.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:46 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club
Originally Posted by buffcoat
Plus, if this route ever goes away RDU would be an AirCanada flight to Toronto away from losing its "International" designation.
I thought "International" was based on the availability of FIS. So if the LHR, the CUN, the Caribbean charters, and the YYZ flights disappear.. it would still be an international airport..
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by buffcoat
DL is starting service RDU-CDG using a 757 (though the launch has been delayed until 2010)
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
DL is starting service RDU-CDG using a 757 (though the launch has been delayed until 2010)
AA use to have RDU-CDG with 767 and could not make a go of it in a good economy. How will DL do in a lousy economy with no real RDU customer loyalty base.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.