Wiki Posts
Search

Family split between C & Y on MVD-MIA-ORD-DEL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Family split between C & Y on MVD-MIA-ORD-DEL

We're doing a family / business trip from Montevideo to Delhi. Unfortunately they business part only was willing to pay for two of our three tickets. So we bought two and used miles for the third. I'm EXP so i used eVIP's to upgrade the two purchased tickets.

So myself and my almost 2 year old have biz/first/biz tickets and my wife is back in economy. We've got extra evip's but you can't use them to upgrade an award ticket.

So my question is this, is there anyway we can get my wife upgraded to biz with us?

Since the boy is less than 2 years old, would a purser let him sit in her lap in 'his' seat?

What's the best way of going about bringing this up?

I figure worst case I end up going back and taking the economy seat and my wife sits up front with our son. Or if the purser lets us, we take turns.

Has anybody ever tried to do something like this?

I'm planning on doing the platinum challenge for our son... he'll be making PLT before he turns 2.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Good god man- get your wife a J award ticket!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
I would totally agree with the previous poster. What you are doing is too cheap.
Either get a First class Award ticket for your wife (You are an EXP and should have a tonne of miles with you) OR Buy a ticket for your wife and use your eVIPs to upgrade the same.
I fail to understand as to why you would want to travel such a long distance sitting away from your spouse. The FA might allow you all to sit together with your kid in lap, but it is still only a chance.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
You can always upgrade her ticket to J with miles (no penalty). When I travel with family (I have an EXP father, and non-status brother) we either upgrade everyone or no one. It's not so much that we can't decide who sits in F/J, it's more sitting together and enjoying the journey. In your situation I would really say just get your wife a J ticket with miles. Safe travels.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA ExP
I often sit in Y while my kid and wife are up front (or more often my wife sits up front with the kid and I in back). Usually we don't see each other until deplaning. I feel that F is F and Y is Y and leave them well enough alone.

My kid made platinum when he was one via a challenge, made it on miles by the time he was two and will be ExP by September when he'll be three.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM (.00123 MM), UA 1P, Marriott PLT, HI GLD, SW PLT
I tend to take the J/F tickets for my wife and I and leave the kid back in Y. He is on a plane, it's not like he won't be there when we arrive.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by rabble
So myself and my almost 2 year old have biz/first/biz tickets and my wife is back in economy.
I did that once 15 years ago. Ended up in the front row with one young child on a gate upgrade (feeling quite entitled to be the privileged person since my work paid for a ticket with a fare that allowed us to redeem a two-for-one promotional coupon). Let the spouse and other children in steerage on awards while I cruised in style back when first to California involved real food. The woman still punishes me for doing that.

Last edited by jayer; Feb 2, 2009 at 7:10 pm
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Good god man- get your wife a J award ticket!
+1
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:10 pm

Programs: EXP 1MM
Snakes on the plane!

Originally Posted by mfdii
I tend to take the J/F tickets for my wife and I and leave the kid back in Y. He is on a plane, it's not like he won't be there when we arrive.
Oh dude, that is sooo wrong. See "Snakes On The Plane" or Jodie Fosters "Flight Plan."

As it happens, I send my son (16 yo, 6'2", 210 lbs) to the back of the bus. He's a little large for someone to be stuffing in a locker. Ok - so we're not small people!

J...
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So my question is this, is there anyway we can get my wife upgraded to biz with us?
Just spend the miles to convert her coach seat into a J seat.

Since the boy is less than 2 years old, would a purser let him sit in her lap in 'his' seat?
If this was in the cards, why did you buy a coach award seat for wife? All you had to do was buy two coach tickets and upgrade them (which you did) and pay the 10% lap infant fare (generally 10% of biz fare plus taxes and fuel surcharges). If you haven't paid his fare, doubt that wife gets to hold him in her lap for free.

Hold an almost two year old in your lap all the way to DEL? MVD-MIA-ORD-DEL?

Just get a biz award seat for wife.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Just spend the miles to convert her coach seat into a J seat.

If this was in the cards, why did you buy a coach award seat for wife? All you had to do was buy two coach tickets and upgrade them (which you did) and pay the 10% lap infant fare (generally 10% of biz fare plus taxes and fuel surcharges). If you haven't paid his fare, doubt that wife gets to hold him in her lap for free.

Hold an almost two year old in your lap all the way to DEL? MVD-MIA-ORD-DEL?

Just get a biz award seat for wife.
Children must be under 2 for infant lap fare. While it is possible to fudge this somewhat on a domestic ticket, for international you have to show a passport which would include the birth date for the "infant".
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT
You have to sit in your assigned cabin. No going back and forth between cabins. So I would advise getting your wife a J award ticket if available!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
Children must be under 2 for infant lap fare. While it is possible to fudge this somewhat on a domestic ticket, for international you have to show a passport which would include the birth date for the "infant".
I thought the OP said "Since the boy is less than 2 years old, would a purser let him sit in her lap in 'his' seat?"
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're doing a family / business trip from Montevideo to Delhi. Unfortunately they business part only was willing to pay for two of our three tickets. So we bought two and used miles for the third. I'm EXP so i used eVIP's to upgrade the two purchased tickets.

So myself and my almost 2 year old have biz/first/biz tickets and my wife is back in economy. We've got extra evip's but you can't use them to upgrade an award ticket.

What's the best way of going about bringing this up?

I figure worst case I end up going back and taking the economy seat and my wife sits up front with our son. Or if the purser lets us, we take turns.

Has anybody ever tried to do something like this?

I'm planning on doing the platinum challenge for our son... he'll be making PLT before he turns 2.
If you want to upgrade, you can't be on an award ticket. If the passenger is in Business Class, they need a ticket for business class. You could have bought the tickets for you and wife, upgraded with VIPS and pay the fee for an infant lap child in BC. While not cheap, this might be cheaper than using miles for your wife's "free" coach ticket. Additionally, that's is a LONG way to travel, so she could have been also earning miles, and perhaps do a status challenge, so part of the trip could get her a mileage bonus.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DUPLICATE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.