Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades to AC's in BOS and LHR coming this year

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Upgrades to AC's in BOS and LHR coming this year

According to AA CFO in the earnings call, Cap Ex for this year includes upgrades to these clubs.

On the bad side, looks like the domestic 757 won't be getting upgrades this year. Only the 18 converting to International were mentioned.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
LHR Long overdue.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:35 am

LHR upgrade already started.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Let's hope the LHR remake includes the FL...also known as an Ethan Allen showroom from the 80s.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), US Silver, PCR Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
The LHR AC has been under renovation since early Nov. 2008. The AAngel had said they hope to be spruced up by March-April.

I have to agree on the LHR FL - it was an underwhelming experience when I visited the FL. Convoluted layout with small spaces and the breakfast spread was pretty average fare. The admiralsclub wireless is not available - they provide you with wireless logon cards which expire in 1 hour - which is irritating if you are planning to stay for a few hours. Once the AC is renovated, I would much rather spend time in the AC than the FL when at LHR.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by grahampros
Let's hope the LHR remake includes the FL...also known as an Ethan Allen showroom from the 80s.
Renovation at LHR FL has also already started.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NetSurfer69
The LHR AC has been under renovation since early Nov. 2008. The AAngel had said they hope to be spruced up by March-April.

I have to agree on the LHR FL - it was an underwhelming experience when I visited the FL. Convoluted layout with small spaces and the breakfast spread was pretty average fare. The admiralsclub wireless is not available - they provide you with wireless logon cards which expire in 1 hour - which is irritating if you are planning to stay for a few hours. Once the AC is renovated, I would much rather spend time in the AC than the FL when at LHR.
Originally Posted by tobyh
Great news^ Haven't passed through since Oct.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
And at least one retrofitted 757 will be flying domestically in the near future, see the thread on TB.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I went to the AC and FL in LHR a few weeks ago and they were both being renovated. It appeared more work was being done to the AC then the FL at that point. Looking forward to the changes.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I haven't been to either the AC or the FL at LHR for years -- not since I discovered the CX lounge. Given the offerings at the CX loung, it's hard to imagine that any amount of "sprucing up" would entice me back.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:09 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
I haven't been to either the AC or the FL at LHR for years -- not since I discovered the CX lounge. Given the offerings at the CX loung, it's hard to imagine that any amount of "sprucing up" would entice me back.
Actually, I thought that the renovation to the LHR FL had been completed, and it was called the CX F Lounge

Seriously, unless they do something monumental at the LHR FL, why should it matter whether they refurbish or not? There's really no reason to go.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Jan 26, 2009 at 9:14 am
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:37 am
chj

Programs: BA, UA, DL
With the move of Qantas and Finnair, and some BA flights, to T3 in about one month, oneworld lounge space will be at a premium. BA and Qantas are building a new joint lounge pavilion but it will not be ready until 2010. It is quite possible that the willingness of CX to admit other oneworld elites will reduce significantly. Even if it does not, the lounge will certainly be much more crowded.

I for one am very glad that AA is finally beginning to make an effort with its LHR operations. BA ground handling is terrible but their lounges are massively nicer than AAs. The FL will never be the Concorde Room but it certainly can be the equivalent of Galleries First. This may well be badly needed given the likely lounge overcrowding that we will see this year.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:44 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chj
It is quite possible that the willingness of CX to admit other oneworld elites will reduce significantly.
It is not a "willingness" issue; it is dictated by the rules of OneWorld membership. That said, BA are adept at pulling the "too crowded" card not infrequently, from what I've read here.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by chj
Even if it does not, the lounge will certainly be much more crowded.
On my last visit to the CX lounge (Monday, Jan. 5, late afternoon), the F lounge was more crowded than I ever recall it being (not uncomfortably crowded, like the FL sometimes is, but more crowded nonetheless). I don't want to attribute this fact to anything in particular, as it could have been due to any number of causes (e.g., maybe I just happened to hit a heavily booked CX flight, or perhaps more AA flyers are aware of the CX lounge option).

Originally Posted by chj
It is quite possible that the willingness of CX to admit other oneworld elites will reduce significantly.
I hate to even suggest such a thing, but I could see it making sense to change the OW rules to add a presumption that passengers use the lounge of the airline they are traveling, and allowing access to other OW lounges only if the OW carrier a passenger is traveling does not have a lounge at a particular airport. I have no reason to believe this change is even contemplated, and I very much hope it never happens, but I could see such a rule making sense.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:26 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
^ re: BOS upgrade.

Overall, it's not that bad of a lounge. A little dark for me, but it could use a little work to better connect the old FL where the showers are with the regular AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.