Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Reward seats not loaded yet for Dec 19, but it is within the 329 days already.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Hello, I am trying to book reward seats to Cancun for December 19, but AA has not loaded any seats beyond December 16. They were loading the seats day by day , and once they got to December 16, the daily process of loading the seats for the next eligible day just stopped.

So the question is, when might they decide to load seats for December 19 and beyond? They are telling me that it should be soon, but that the only way to ensure getting the seats is to keep calling back.. so what is a person to do, call them a dozen times each day until finally the seats are loaded?

Is there anyone that we could contact at AA to at least get in indication from them as to when they plan to release these seats? It seems like a horrible waste of time for both customers and the reservation agents to have to make and take hundreds of calls from people like me trying to book these rewards. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Call AA directly, specifically the AAdvantage # associated w/your elite level. EF shows the award seats loaded.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:45 am
Original Poster

can you tell me what you mean when you say that EF shows reward seats loaded? thanks
Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Last year I was in the same situation for Hawaii flights for the holiday season. Their was quite a thread this time last year. The avilability opened up several weeks after the 329 day date. My flights for 12/21 opened on 2/21. The delay effected most holiday beach detinations. In appaers AA has learned to hold back awards during heavy travel season to see if they can sell them first and then evaluate loads for the flight awards. I used Exp Flyer to notify me when the awards opened up.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:55 am
Original Poster

FlymeAAway, could you tell me exactly how to get Exp Flyer to notify me when the award seats open up? Sorry , but I'm not very experienced regarding these terms here. thanks a lot
Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Thomas Gregory
can you tell me what you mean when you say that EF shows reward seats loaded? thanks
EF = Expertflyer.com, it is a subscription service that is well worth the fee
Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bdemaria
EF = Expertflyer.com, it is a subscription service that is well worth the fee
And, once you subscribe, you can set up alerts for inventory availability, including AA award inventory.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:24 am
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
I am also looking for award flights for December 19th, but not for Cancun. When I called early this morning, there were award seats available, but sadly only for 90K miles, not the 45K or (probably unrealistically) 35K I had been hoping for. I checked on line also and aa.com shows award flights available for all days through December 18th. So, at least some destinations are showing award availability 329 days out.

Maybe AA is loading flights for some destinations but not others?

AGS
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by AGS
Maybe AA is loading flights for some destinations but not others?
Ding, ding, ding.

Long gone are the days where award seats automatically would be loaded for every flight. Nowadays, airlines' revenue management departments have elaborate algorithms that determine how many and when award seats will be released, and they take into consideration such factors as whether it's late December, when one might expect plenty of people to be willing to pay for tickets with cash.

Mr. Gregory, I could be wrong, but I would not expect award tickets to travel to CUN on December 19 to become available anytime soon.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie

Long gone are the days where award seats automatically would be loaded for every flight.
It was not clear to me from the OP whether it was only award seats that were not loaded for Dec. 19, or seat inventory, in general. In the former case, I completely agree with you. In the latter, it is odd.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
I have found that they will eventually load the seats. they just take their time with certain holiday dates and beach destinations.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
There is a big difference between flights being available for booking (329 days before departure on aa.com, 331 through reservations) and a specific inventory being available (T award inventory, for example). As noted above, there are award seats available on the dates in question, just not for the milesaver level.

There is no guarantee that AA will ever make milesaver seats available for flights to Cancun the weekend before Christmas. Most likely they will, but there's no set answer as to when that will happen. The EF alert suggestions above are good ones.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thomas Gregory
so what is a person to do, call them a dozen times each day until finally the seats are loaded?
Why would you do that? Is something wrong with aa.com? Or even better, use ExpertFlyer as was suggested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.