Wiki Posts
Search

I had steak on an MD-80!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I had steak on an MD-80!

Flying into DFW this evening on an MD-80 I had the shock of my life: meal options included steak. Now I have had chicken fingers, meatless cheeseburgers, bland pizza, turkey croissants with more bread than meat, inedible BBQ sandwiches and enough ravioli and breaded chicken to win an award, so steak was an incredible surprise.

And...it tasted pretty good considering it was served at 30K feet. In fact, the accompanying rice/vegetable medley was tasty as well. I am crossing my fingers for the same thing on tomorrow's flight.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 9:56 pm
Suspended

As you composed this post, telling us the destination never came to mind?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by cmhua777
Flying into DFW this evening
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by c_stanley
Obviously origin.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Obviously origin.
No, obviously a mistake.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

The flight originated in RSW. I didn't think it mattered much since I assumed every MD-80 flight into DFW is a mid-con, but then it hit me that AA does fly Mexico-DFW routes on the MD-80, which do have different catering. Hope the clarification helps.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:34 pm
Suspended

The flight originated in RSW. I didn't think it mattered much since I assumed every MD-80 flight into DFW is a mid-con, but then it hit me that AA does fly Mexico-DFW routes on the MD-80, which do have different catering. Hope the clarification helps.
Thanks. That's surprising. Sure it wasn't a short-rib or something?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:37 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Thanks OP good info

[redacted by moderator personal attack]

Last edited by magic111; Jan 21, 2009 at 8:35 am Reason: Personal attack on fellow members
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
I had steak AUS-ORD on Thursday.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Positive. It wasn't exquisite, but I have to say that it was steak. The FA mentioned that it just rolled out over the last few days.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:50 pm

I was assuming that you were going to say that you brought your own on :-)

Nice to hear AA is re-introducing steaks though.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:13 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
I think they spruce up the catering a bit into and out of DFW... my last DFW-LAX lunch flight I had two hot entree choice options (neither were a sandwich), side salad, bread and ice cream for dessert. We don't even get that on UA transcons nowadays. All on a MD-80.

On a somewhat related note, the international catering entree choices starting in January have been very good for airline food. The veal I had LHR-LAX was excellent, as was the salmon on the LAX-LHR leg.

- T
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS, DL, QF, QX, AA, CO, WN
They should take the money they are spending on the steaks and use it to phase out the MD-80's even faster. I can't believe a major US airline is still flying a dinosaur like this. Then again at last check I think NW was still flying DC-9's on short hops. Scary stuff. I fly out of PDX and all the AA planes from here to DFW are MD-80's. I'm surprised those old beaters can still make it halfway aross the continent.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:26 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by twofive99
They should take the money they are spending on the steaks and use it to phase out the MD-80's even faster. I can't believe a major US airline is still flying a dinosaur like this.
They can keep on flying them as far as I'm concerned. They have full galleys, the F seating is reasonably comfortable and the ride is one of the quietest you'll find still in the air today. Granted, I'll welcome the 737's that are replacing the with open arms, but I'm in no rush to see the MD80's go.

Same with the 762's. It's amazing what a cabin refresh and in-flight high-speed WiFi can do to change an opinion about flying on an old bird.

- T
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Steak must be on sale at Costco this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.