Search

AA 31 - LAX-HNL - Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
AA 31 - LAX-HNL - Reviews?

All,

I will be flying in F on AA31 in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if anyone had reviews of the service and what to expect on this flight.

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
keep your expectations low. no avod or bose headsets on this route.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by spurg
keep your expectations low. no avod or bose headsets on this route.
No worries... I have my own Bose and laptop :-). What about food choices and a pre-departure drink?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA/BA
read wrong route

Last edited by passinginterest; Jan 20, 2009 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 20, 2009, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, too many others
You will be on a 757 so the seats are not that great but the service is.
You get offered a pre-flight drink (OJ, water, or Champagne) and once airbone the FA will come around for your drink order before your breakfast/brunch is served.
You will have a choice of a hot entree or cereal with fruit.
I'm not sure what the hot entree is now but in the past I have had Macadamia Nut Pancakes with grilled canadian bacon or Hawaiian French Toast with grilled portuguese
sausage. Plus, no matter what entree you choose you will also be offered a biscuit or some type of fruit bread.

Later in flight you will be offered a freshly baked on board white chocolate chip macadamia cookie.

And prior to arrival some tropical mixed nuts with your choice of beverage.

Remember they will take your entree choice from the back of first class first so if you have a preference choose your seat acordingly.

Have a great trip and enjoy your flight
Old Jan 20, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS, DL, QF, QX, AA, CO, WN
Flew this segment last summer...we were offered champagne while the rest of coach boarded. Even had enough time to come around and give everyone a second glass before we pushed the gate.^
Old Jan 20, 2009, 7:28 pm

A link to the Sam Choy menu items here:

http://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/pr...1_hawaii.jhtml

On a recent flight from HNL-LAX, there was a "filet" with a signature Sam Choy sauce served on the side. Obviously not listed in the above link.

Also, you may want to search the Trip Reports section, as this route has been covered several times.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: Starwood, SQ PPS, BA EXEC
From memory, it is no different than any domestic first class product on AA with the exception of a possible flower lei on board

Other than the JFK-LAX trans con flights on United and American, and the Continental Newark Honolulu flight are there any other U.S. carriers that offer international style service on domestic routes?

While I love Hawaii, one of the reasons I don't go more is the thought of flying 12 hours on a domestic style F class seat..

I tried Hawaiian once and even that business class was ok but not great. The thought of flying Hawaiian in business to Australia makes by back hurt just thinking about it
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by thetravelguy
From memory, it is no different than any domestic first class product on AA with the exception of a possible flower lei on board

Other than the JFK-LAX trans con flights on United and American, and the Continental Newark Honolulu flight are there any other U.S. carriers that offer international style service on domestic routes?

While I love Hawaii, one of the reasons I don't go more is the thought of flying 12 hours on a domestic style F class seat..

I tried Hawaiian once and even that business class was ok but not great. The thought of flying Hawaiian in business to Australia makes by back hurt just thinking about it
No flower lei. As stated above, the menu items are different. Provided you fly a 763 up front, the flight is pretty decent. I have no problem grabbing a few hours of sleep in the NGBC, of course YMMV.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 9:19 pm

American also flies 767's that have the Business class seats to HI from DFW and one LAX to HNL. We are also on flight 38 on February 9th in F. When I booked the free flights last March, it was 767, then they changed to 757. So now we are flying JFK-LAX and then LAX HNL. On the return we are OGG-DFW on a 767 and then a md-80 back to LGA.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:20 pm
AMA

While I love Hawaii, one of the reasons I don't go more is the thought of flying 12 hours on a domestic style F class seat.
That's why I break up the trip, fly from Texas to LAX, overnight there, take the mid-morning LAX-HNL flight the next day, arrive HNL early afternoon, vs. later in day and wiped out if flying from middle of U.S. or East Coast. Cheap priceline room, etc. Pricing in/out of HNL is cheap from LAX, so overall co$t isn't as bad as one might think.

Same on return, can't stand redeye flights.

As I fly Texas-LAX late afternoon, arrive evening, I don't really lose all that much time. Plus, I go hang out a Manhattan Beach, grab a relaxing dinner, watch the sunset

Idea of going to Hawaii is to relax, so I don't like to bust a gut getting there or returning. Especially on the return. Don't wanna have to recupe from my vacation
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by timetogo
You will be on a 757 so the seats are not that great but the service is.
You describe the below service as "great"? I would call it "barely adequate" for a flight of this length.

Originally Posted by timetogo
You get offered a pre-flight drink (OJ, water, or Champagne) and once airbone the FA will come around for your drink order before your breakfast/brunch is served.
You will have a choice of a hot entree or cereal with fruit.
I'm not sure what the hot entree is now but in the past I have had Macadamia Nut Pancakes with grilled canadian bacon or Hawaiian French Toast with grilled portuguese
sausage. Plus, no matter what entree you choose you will also be offered a biscuit or some type of fruit bread.

Later in flight you will be offered a freshly baked on board white chocolate chip macadamia cookie.

And prior to arrival some tropical mixed nuts with your choice of beverage.

Remember they will take your entree choice from the back of first class first so if you have a preference choose your seat acordingly.

Have a great trip and enjoy your flight
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:32 pm
Suspended

There's a not of incorrect information here. There's no lei. The menu is not at all the same as domestic F. And CO's product is not better (and probably worse now) than AA's 767's to HI (which by the way, don't have a domestic F seat). Seriously, not a lot of correct info provided in this post.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by abouna
American also flies 767's that have the Business class seats to HI from DFW and one LAX to HNL. We are also on flight 38 on February 9th in F. When I booked the free flights last March, it was 767, then they changed to 757. So now we are flying JFK-LAX and then LAX HNL. On the return we are OGG-DFW on a 767 and then a md-80 back to LGA.
I believe no more 767's from west coast to HI.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I believe no more 767's from west coast to HI.

Once daily from LAX-HNL until April sixth. AA283, 3:40PM departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.