Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Valet Bag Tags AE/Bag fee

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Valet Bag Tags AE/Bag fee

When you use the Valet Bag service as part of AE how long after the flight lands does one get their bag? I know you get a tag from the agent. My question is why don't they offer this on all flights so that way we don't have to pay the fee. If we can pack light we should be able to save the $15 dollar bag fee.

Or how about another incentive if you use online checkin your first bag is free.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by danielonn
When you use the Valet Bag service as part of AE how long after the flight lands does one get their bag? .
that depends on ground traffic, gate availability, distance from runway to gate, weather, etc.

The time from door open/deplaning to bag retrieval is usually less than 5 minutes.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:12 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
My question is why don't they offer this on all flights so that way we don't have to pay the fee. If we can pack light we should be able to save the $15 dollar bag fee.

Or how about another incentive if you use online checkin your first bag is free.
You're suggesting that, since they have a fee for checked baggage, they should offer to let people avoid the fee? Why should they do this?

Cheers.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by brp
You're suggesting that, since they have a fee for checked baggage, they should offer to let people avoid the fee? Why should they do this?
If it saves them costs in other areas. e.g. purchasing a ticket via phone/ticket counter vs online.

But, of course, in this situation, it's not saving any costs.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
My question is why don't they offer this on all flights so that way we don't have to pay the fee. If we can pack light we should be able to save the $15 dollar bag fee.
If you pack light you can save the $15 bag fee.

Each passenger is allowed to carry on one bag plus one personal item as long as:

They weigh no more than 40 lbs/18 kgs

The bag is no more than 45 inches and the personal item is no more than 36 inches when you add the length + width + height so that it fits in an overhead bin or under the seat
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
If you pack light you can save the $15 bag fee.
I've never checked a bag with AA. Granted, it's a small (and somewhat skewed) sample size, but I've managed to fit 2 weeks worth of stuff and two pair of shoes in a 45 linear inch Samsonite. Granted, it was well over 45 lbs, but as long as you're not obviously struggling you'll be fine. I'd be glad to offer packing lessons to FTers for a nominal fee (say, $14 )
Old Jan 15, 2009, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I think that the fee should be waived if it is your 21st birthday. Or honeymoon.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by gemac
I think that the fee should be waived if it is your 21st birthday. Or honeymoon.
I think the fee should be waived if you're AAdvantage Executive Platinum...oh wait, it is!

Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I read somewhere that if you are connecting onto another flight in F class... you don't have to pay the $15 charge (as there is no F on an ERD)

My 'twist' is I am on an AS ticket stock 027..., and UG'd into F BOS-PDX-ANC... the AA segment is booked into N class... Is there any hope?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
When you use the Valet Bag service as part of AE how long after the flight lands does one get their bag? I know you get a tag from the agent. My question is why don't they offer this on all flights so that way we don't have to pay the fee. If we can pack light we should be able to save the $15 dollar bag fee.
If you're packing light enough to get through airport security with your bag and drop it off planeside as you are getting on an AE flight, then you are packing light enough to carry that same bag on to a mainline flight. No fee for doing either. The reason that your AE bag is not carried in the main cabin is that it won't fit...but it would on an MD-80, 737, 757, 767, 777, etc.

-z

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.