Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic beverage service policy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Domestic beverage service policy?

I am an EXP who travels in economy when I am with my family.

This has been the case several times this past year.

The route is always DCA or IAD to DFW.

Westbound flights average 2 hours 50 minutes and eastbound about 2 hours 25 minutes of actual in air time.

Sometimes the flight attendants have been grumpy and sometimes fine. However none have come through with the beverage cart more than once.

I remember a while back when they came through with the trash cart they would at least have juice, coffee and water on the cart.

Now they don't even pass through the cabin offering a 2nd drink with or without the cart.

On flights of this lenght, is it AA policy to just do one service with the cart or are the flight attendants just not following procedure?

I can't help but think it is AA policy as even the best flight attendants have never gotten the cart out after the first pass through.

Is the policy designed to save money by not having to serve as many beverages?

They also don't bother to do a cabin check every 15 minutes but they will get you a second drink if you walk to the galley.

Does AA realize how much better the service is on Southwest or Jet Blue?

Even on their shortest flights (Dallas-Austin for example), Southwest will offer refills time permitting.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I fly in Y when with the family too. When I do, I pack or pick up at the airport everything I need to sustain myself and the family for the flight -- water, snacks, reading material, etc. I count on AA for nothing. And somehow we manage to survive. AA is betting that flyers choose to fly them in Y because either (a) the price is right, (b) they are loyal to the AAdvantage program, and/or (c) they fly to where you want to go, and that they're decision not to offer a second cup of coke won't alter that decisions. And you know what? They're probably right with respect to 99.99994824% of all passengers. As an EXP, are you really gonna consider flying Southwest of JetBlue for that second beverage? (BTW, I think JetBlue offers a great service, and I do fly them, but not over AA, 'cause I like being EXP.)
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA, ANA, JAL, NW/DL, Marriott Silver, Avis First
[QUOTE=chuck1;11009951]I remember a while back when they came through with the trash cart they would at least have juice, coffee and water on the cart.[QUOTE]

Serving juice, coffee, and water on the trash cart while picking up trash??? Yuck. That's unsanitary and one the best ways to spread germs.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:40 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Just ask for a refill as an F/A walks by. If they don't walk by, hit the call button. That's what it's there for.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
I've found that AA's beverage service isn't very consistent, but it's not a reason to fly somebody else. My early flights usually just have juice, milk, and coffee, while evening flights are hit or miss on whether or not you get the whole can and refills or one and done. Haven't flown anywhere in the middle part of the day, so I can't comment on those flights.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:17 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
What's 'Y'?

Cheers.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Originally Posted by brp
What's 'Y'?

Cheers.
It's short for "Y am I sitting here?"

David
Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:28 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by brp
What's 'Y'?

Cheers.
It's the only thing I can be reimbursed for. Actually, I've never been reimbursed higher than L. All my other flights have been Q, O, N, V or G.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:48 am

15 min walkthroughs should be performed by every FA, every 15 mins. 2nd drink service varies by aircraft.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Just ask for a refill as an F/A walks by. If they don't walk by, hit the call button. That's what it's there for.
+1. Do it all the time.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
It's the only thing I can be reimbursed for. Actually, I've never been reimbursed higher than L. All my other flights have been Q, O, N, V or G.
Same here. I don't do any business travel anymore (thank whatever deity you believe in) but, when I did, it was coach only. I always upgrade, though, so don't actua;lly sit there. Now it's all out-of-pocket, but the same rules apply

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:34 am

Policy is flight less than 3 hrs one beverage service
It is not mandatory to put juice,coffee, water on top of trash cart.
It is ok to walk through with a bag for trash instead of cart. It is an option.

On super 80 usually flights are double provisioned thus no complete empty cart for trash, thus easier to pick up trash with bag.

There is no problem with getting a second or third drink for someone if they want.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by chuck1
Does AA realize how much better the service is on Southwest or Jet Blue?

Even on their shortest flights (Dallas-Austin for example), Southwest will offer refills time permitting.
It really is amazing how much better the drink service is on Southwest. After the initial service, they *frequently* go through the cabin picking up trash. And, anytime a FA passes by, whether they be delivering someone else's drink, are picking up trash, or are just going to the other end of the cabin, they always respond positively if you ask for another drink. Try this on a legacy carrier, and very often you'll get either a surly response, an attitude like they're doing you a favor, or even sometimes a "no" and they tell you they'll be through again in a few minutes and to wait.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, SWA RR; MR Platinum; National EC Executive
Originally Posted by pattywatty
There is no problem with getting a second or third drink for someone if they want.
This may be true, but its still good business practice to come around again with another service, especially on a flight that is nearly 3 hours in length.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.