Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW -> YYZ 12/21 1252 Cancelled for normal weather?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2008, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals, PC Plat Ambassidor, CO PLT, UA Premiere Executive, Boycotting: Hilton, Delta, NWA,
DFW -> YYZ 12/21 1252 Cancelled for normal weather?

My usual AA1252 DFW > YYZ cancelled for what should be normal weather in Toronto who's not even on a ground stop. -2 degrees and flurries Oh noes!

Rebooked for 7PM flight, but weather is going to be worse this evening.

Dare I try routing through ORD? or just leave the direct flight.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Shockingly, not all cancellations are weather related. Reschedule through ORD only if you want to spend lots of time -- and perhaps overnight -- with thousands of your best friends in a panic in an overcrowded and uncomfortable airport terminal.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It could be that either the plane and/or the crew was originating in a third city where weather is a problem.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals, PC Plat Ambassidor, CO PLT, UA Premiere Executive, Boycotting: Hilton, Delta, NWA,
Originally Posted by Blumie
Shockingly, not all cancellations are weather related.
True, True. But that's the 'official' reason.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by NetsAAver
Ok, but see:

Originally Posted by swag
It could be that either the plane and/or the crew was originating in a third city where weather is a problem.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
My usual AA1252 DFW > YYZ cancelled for what should be normal weather in Toronto who's not even on a ground stop. -2 degrees and flurries Oh noes!

Thoughts?
Not sure how routing through ORD will improve the weather in YYZ, just adds another possible weather problem. If YYZ is weathered in, you could try BUF or DTW and rent a car.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Official reason: "ACCT YYZ FLD CNDTNS"
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:14 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold

Thoughts?
Normal weather? So far today around 50 arriving flights into YYZ have been cancelled and most of the non-cancelled flights have significant delays...
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:31 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I am at YYZ and conditions here are awful; whiteout conditions at times due to blowing snow, high winds (30+ by my guess) and some snow fall. Tail end of the storm overnight that had a relative modest fall (6 inches). The gusting wind and whiteout are causing problems for the small planes (DFW is a 738, so not great for these conditions -- book a widebody, they often operate when the 738s cannot). ORD flights are a lot worse than from DFW, your best bet is to fly AC or stick to DFW-YYZ on AA.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA GLD; UA 2P; HHonors GLD; SPG
Originally Posted by number_6
I am at YYZ and conditions here are awful; whiteout conditions at times due to blowing snow, high winds (30+ by my guess) and some snow fall. Tail end of the storm overnight that had a relative modest fall (6 inches). The gusting wind and whiteout are causing problems for the small planes (DFW is a 738, so not great for these conditions -- book a widebody, they often operate when the 738s cannot). ORD flights are a lot worse than from DFW, your best bet is to fly AC or stick to DFW-YYZ on AA.
What's the forecast for Tuesday 12/23? I'm flying ORD-YYZ-PVG with a number of connecting flights thereafter and am scared sh!tless one of these segments will throw off the rest domino-style.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by FlyingToFly
What's the forecast for Tuesday 12/23? I'm flying ORD-YYZ-PVG with a number of connecting flights thereafter and am scared sh!tless one of these segments will throw off the rest domino-style.
weather.com
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
Shockingly, not all cancellations are weather related. Reschedule through ORD only if you want to spend lots of time -- and perhaps overnight -- with thousands of your best friends in a panic in an overcrowded and uncomfortable airport terminal.
This one most certainly is weather related and this flight was not the only one canceled. There have been cancelations on other carriers too.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
weather.com
Yeah, I actually have 3 different forecasts pulled up. I lack the skills to translate the forecasts into meaningful assessments though. Figured I'd ask my FT brethren whether or not they feel things will get better at the airport by Tuesday.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingToFly
Yeah, I actually have 3 different forecasts pulled up. I lack the skills to translate the forecasts into meaningful assessments though. Figured I'd ask my FT brethren whether or not they feel things will get better at the airport by Tuesday.
I'd venture to say that the meteorologists at these weather sites would be better able to predict the weather at a particular location 2 days from now than a bunch of airline rules experts. But I could be wrong about that.

Cheers.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by brp
I'd venture to say that the meteorologists at these weather sites would be better able to predict the weather at a particular location 2 days from now than a bunch of airline rules experts. But I could be wrong about that.

Cheers.
Hm, that wasn't what I meant, but that's all right. I withdraw my inquiry.

Merry Christmas!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.