Wiki Posts
Search

Standby priority

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Standby priority

I had something odd happen to me last week and am curious if the "right thing" was done at the counter. I'm and EXP and my wife is Gold. We were flying together, on the same record locator, and got to the connecting gate early enough to catch the earlier flight (DFW-LIT). When they listed us, they said I was #1 as EXP and would get on, but my wife was #4 and might not as she is Gold. I told them I thought she would have my priority like with upgrades, but they told me it wasn't the case. Fortunately, we both got on, but I didn't think it was right.

Has anyone had the same experience?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by lance1713
I had something odd happen to me last week and am curious if the "right thing" was done at the counter. I'm and EXP and my wife is Gold. We were flying together, on the same record locator, and got to the connecting gate early enough to catch the earlier flight (DFW-LIT). When they listed us, they said I was #1 as EXP and would get on, but my wife was #4 and might not as she is Gold. I told them I thought she would have my priority like with upgrades, but they told me it wasn't the case. Fortunately, we both got on, but I didn't think it was right.

Has anyone had the same experience?
You were told correctly. She would share your status for upgrades, but not for standby.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA/BA
Some info here:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ight=companion
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Always something new to learn.

Another question, do you know if they split the record in the process? We tried to do the same thing in the reverse (stand-by LIT-DFW) and in the process, our records got split, my upgrade cleared and hers didn't. Reservations line told me LIT split the record, but gate agent swore he didn't.

Ideas?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:00 pm

Another question, do you know if they split the record in the process? We tried to do the same thing in the reverse (stand-by LIT-DFW) and in the process, our records got split, my upgrade cleared and hers didn't. Reservations line told me LIT split the record, but gate agent swore he didn't.

Ideas?
Cant think of an reason why a GA would split a record at the gate unless asked to do so by the passenger, it would have no benefit for the GA or the passengers, and wouldnt change the UPG priority or time stamp.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

It seemed to have happened when he put us on the stand-by list. Is there a chance that (per op) when they list us according to our status (not my wife attached to mine) the system splits the record? Agent denied having done it, but reservations line indicated without a doubt it was split in LIT and he was the only one we spoke to as we checked in online.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold

Ideas?

Your upgrade must have cleared DFW-XXX because there are no upgrades LIT-DFW-LIT. All RJs. The question is did they give you the free drink and nuts but not her or did you both get it DFW-LIT-DFW?

And I do have my own question now thanks to this thread. If say DFW is closed due to storms and I'm trying to get on a flight with soon-to-be-gold-less Mr. Zipadee will we have much bigger gaps on the list then? Will I be up higher and he's waaay down the list? I know during ir ops I've gotten confirmed seats on earlier flights than people without status. Again, if traveling with Mr. Zipadee during ir ops is there a chance I get a confirmed seat on an 8:30 p.m. flight and he's on the 10:30 p.m. even though our original flight was at 2:30 p.m. Or does my status help get us both confirmed seats in ir-ops or just me? And looks like my status gets me higher priority for a stand by flight in ir ops but not him. Again, am I reading that part correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zipadee
Your upgrade must have cleared DFW-XXX because there are no upgrades LIT-DFW-LIT. All RJs. The question is did they give you the free drink and nuts but not her or did you both get it DFW-LIT-DFW?
Yes, it was DFW-SAN upgrade that cleared, and no, no free nuts or drink for either of us on the grim, always delayed LIT-DFW flight.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
It seemed to have happened when he put us on the stand-by list. Is there a chance that (per op) when they list us according to our status (not my wife attached to mine) the system splits the record? Agent denied having done it, but reservations line indicated without a doubt it was split in LIT and he was the only one we spoke to as we checked in online.
If you and wife have different status, they would have to split the records to clear the one with higher status according to their status. The only alternative be to clear both at the lower status level, and of course, there might be only one spot left then.

Did you ask for both-or-neither?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Yes, it was DFW-SAN upgrade that cleared, and no, no free nuts or drink for either of us on the grim, always delayed LIT-DFW flight.
You should ask. There's a thread on this forum about EXP's getting free drinks and nuts on AAEagle flights. I actually had a lovely FA on my recent DFW-LIT flight on Thanksgiving Day and when I asked if it was true this was only for ExPlats and Plats, no golds, she confirmed that regretfully that was the case. But she gave me a free bag of almonds

I irritated the FA on the return LIT-DFW flight. She wanted me to give up my premium seat for the front seat so a couple could sit together. She wasn't happy when I politely declined. (I need/want my purse at my feet and this was a bulkhead seat so couldn't do that). She asked the window seat person next to the hubby and he did switch. (which made more seat cause I was in the single A seat) I was just happy to get the heck out of LIT at that point cause weather delays in ORD and mechanical issues in DFW meant the three flights before mine were delayed by hours.

I do appreciate your question because now I'm quite concerned that when Mr. Zipadee loses his gold status next year what happens to us during weather delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.