Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Screwed by AA on scheduling change, any recourse?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by hillrider
Unlike the EU, there are no laws in the US protecting customers in cases like this, .

How would the EU regulation have protected him any more than what he can get from AA for this cancellation?

From EU rule concerning cancellation, look at the first exception. If the airline notifies him 2 weeks in advance, he is only "entited to a re-routing or refund". The AAgent offered to give him a refund.

If a flight is cancelled, passengers are automatically entitled to a re-routing or refund. Where applicable, they are also entitled to refreshments, communication and accommodation as described below.

The airline is also required to pay cash compensation as described below, unless one of the following conditions applies:

the airline notifies the passengers at least two weeks prior to departure
Old Nov 6, 2008, 1:50 am

As long as you now know, it's not personal, just business.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by hillrider
Unlike the EU, there are no laws in the US protecting customers in cases like this, so you're at the mercy of the airline's unilateral 'conditions of carriage' you agreed to by default when you forked over your hard-earned money. In AA's case, they state:

Translated into English, it means that AA doesn't have to do anything about taking you to your destination when it said it would, and when it doesn't do so you're contractually on your own and you must pay for all expenses etc.

If you don't like this state of affairs in the U.S. (and you shouldn't!), please take your time to write your Congressperson: there's been a push to try to get US citizens some protection under the law (see www.flyersrights.org), and this effort would benefit GREATLY from additional direct citizen pressure.
Actually, this is fairly incorrect. Well, not incorrect, just not applicable.
The part of AA's legal documents that apply here is rule 80/240, not the COC.

AA will put you on another flight, whether or not there are award seats available in your class of service.
The OP has not provided sufficient information to help much, but, I assume he wants 3-4 seats (all in F?) on the same flight. If AA has F class seats available for sale, he should get those.

OP.. Like BRP said, tone it down, call AA with the flights you want, cite rule 80/240, make sure the F class seats are available and politely escalate things until you get what you booked and paid for.

Typically AA is very responsive in these situations. YMMV
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Actually, this is fairly incorrect. Well, not incorrect, just not applicable.
The part of AA's legal documents that apply here is rule 80/240, not the COC.

AA will put you on another flight, whether or not there are award seats available in your class of service.
The OP has not provided sufficient information to help much, but, I assume he wants 3-4 seats (all in F?) on the same flight. If AA has F class seats available for sale, he should get those.

OP.. Like BRP said, tone it down, call AA with the flights you want, cite rule 80/240, make sure the F class seats are available and politely escalate things until you get what you booked and paid for.

Typically AA is very responsive in these situations. YMMV
To clarify something, I'm of the belief that you get more with honey than vinegar, and its not the CSR fault AA changed things, so I don't act hostile to anyone, even if the person has a really bad attitude, because it doesn't get you anywhere. I was frustrated for sure.

Anyway if she would have known the rules above it wouldnt have gotten so stressful but when she said my choice was to basically like it or lump it, not ony was she obviously wrong, but rude as well.

Subsequent CSRs tried to help but it wasn't until I got to someone with experience that it started to work out. I had to speak to 4 people before I got to one that knew about the rule mentioned above. Now I'm not to far off from where I want to be, other than coach on the way down, but maybe I'll get lucky with the 1st class seats opening up.

Regards.
Joe
Old Nov 6, 2008, 8:21 am

Frankly, there are a lot of agents that don't understand the schedule change rules, whether on paid or award tickets. I've learned (the hard way) that if I get one of those agents, I just thank them for their time and call back. AA's rules really are pretty pro-consumer: they basically allow you to pick any other flight on the same day, or on the day immediately before or after the originally scheduled flight. This should apply to award tickets as well as paid tickets.

I book a lot of award tickets 11 months in advance, so I always keep the rules bookmarked: http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:07 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MOXJO7282
To clarify something, I'm of the belief that you get more with honey than vinegar, and its not the CSR fault AA changed things, so I don't act hostile to anyone, even if the person has a really bad attitude, because it doesn't get you anywhere. I was frustrated for sure.
The most basic rule here (OK, the second most basic rule after "what do you mean you didn't search?!? ) is to call back if you don't get the answer you want/expect. Obviously, there are cases where the answer one wants is unreasonable, and you're never going to get it. What you wanted (and eventually got) was completely reasonable, as reading threads here will show. I know it's hard not to get frustrated- I know the call back rule well, and I still have situations where frustration takes over. It really is best to realize early on that a given agent either doesn't know, doesn't care, or both. Thank them, hang up, and call back. As you've seen, it really does work...

And the honey/vinegar thing is spot on in these situations. It may not be ideal, but I'm glad it's improved.

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:23 am

I guess that issue here is the OP's originally scheduled award flight in Biz/First had a major schedule and routing change. Now, he has flights that he is willing to go on within +/- couple days of those dates. However, AA is not willing to open up the Biz/First class seats to award redeemability for the OP to go on? Is this correct?

In such cases, the OP should have the right to choose any flights close to the original flights that he is willing to live with without regard to award availability as long as seats are available for sale.

If seats are not available, there is not much he can do or fly in coach for those flights (if available). Maybe ask for some compensation for paying first class award miles, but flying in coach (at least for one leg).
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vrbaba

If seats are not available, there is not much he can do or fly in coach for those flights (if available). Maybe ask for some compensation for paying first class award miles, but flying in coach (at least for one leg).
That's the basic question- no F seats available, or they're just not willing to open those, just coach.

OP- can you let us know the new outbound flight number and date and someone here can look up the actual F availability?

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
AA679 is showing J1 on 2/7/09, if that's the flight.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Right. In the EU, they would clearly reinstate the flight just for the one inconvenienced passenger, something that AA appear unwilling to do. We can only hope for the day when we have such protections here. AA are only offering a refund and, in others' experiences, working within existing flights to find a solution. Far short of that EU-mandated flight reinstatement thing.

Cheers.
In all seriousness. I hate someone bringing up the EU Rights thing everytime there is a cancelation. The OP's flight is in Feb. According to the "EU Rights", if the airline notifies you at least 2 weeks prior, they have to give you a change or a refund. No more..... This is EXACTLY what AA will give. Some agents might try looking for award seats, but if they do, ask for a supervisor. If AA makes a change, you are not limited to award seats. If you can't get agreeable flights, then you can get a refund..........mmmm just like in the EU..
Now, unless someone has a different interpretation of the EU rules on this...............
Old Nov 7, 2008, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by mvoight
In all seriousness. I hate someone bringing up the EU Rights thing everytime there is a cancelation. The OP's flight is in Feb. According to the "EU Rights", if the airline notifies you at least 2 weeks prior, they have to give you a change or a refund. No more..... This is EXACTLY what AA will give. Some agents might try looking for award seats, but if they do, ask for a supervisor. If AA makes a change, you are not limited to award seats. If you can't get agreeable flights, then you can get a refund..........mmmm just like in the EU..
Now, unless someone has a different interpretation of the EU rules on this...............

Typically the Eu rules are more pax friendly than the archaic US rules. In this case, AA policy trumps both and actually is a pretty good piece of customer service. AA has many flaws, this is not one of them
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Typically the Eu rules are more pax friendly than the archaic US rules. In this case, AA policy trumps both and actually is a pretty good piece of customer service. AA has many flaws, this is not one of them
Ok, AA will change the flights to your liking or offer a refund.
How does this "trump" the EU rules which basically say the same thing.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhilC
AA679 is showing J1 on 2/7/09, if that's the flight.
They did give me this seat and wait listed me for the 3 others. I'd give the seat to my wife, but I'm praying that the others come through somehow, because it would suck to have our family split between first and coach.

Regards.
Joe
www.cambrafamily.com

Last edited by MOXJO7282; Nov 7, 2008 at 7:01 pm
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:01 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MOXJO7282
They did give me this seat and wait listed me for the 3 others. I'd give the seat to my wife, but I'm praying that the others come through somehow, because it would suck to have our family split between first and coach.

Regards.
Joe
So it sounds like, in the end, they did everything the possibly could short of reinstating the flight. It's too bad that it took a second call, but it seems they did everything right in the end ^

Cheers.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
So it sounds like, in the end, they did everything the possibly could short of reinstating the flight. It's too bad that it took a second call, but it seems they did everything right in the end ^

Cheers.
Well they are trying, but until I have 4 in first I'm not "whole". At least the CSRs have gotten progressively better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.