Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Securing seat assignments on AA codeshares by JL/JAL or BA (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Summary of comments:

● JL: it appears your fare class is the determinant here; lower fare classes (Q and N) can not get assigned seats in advance, higher ones can.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB

It looks like you can not get a seat assignment on a JL or BA flight if you are on a AA ticket and in not the right fare class.

This seems to be some new policy so looks like more airlines changing policy from one world staus.

I would appreciate anymore information anyone may have.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I can't speak for JAL, but this is not correct for BA. Simply logon to the BA website, enter your AA PNR and you - as an EXP - should be able choose seats directly from them. I've done this on BA flight #s as well as codeshares. This benefit is available to PLTs as well.

Last edited by bdemaria; Nov 4, 2008 at 5:56 am
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: AAEXP, CXGold, AFPlat, PCPlat/RA, HyattDiamond, SPGGold, MarriottGold, HertzPlat, NationalExec
Not true for JAL either... just call up the AA EXP/PLT desk and have them give it to you (and yes, I just did this last week...)
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I am flying an intra-South America LAN segment in December on the same PNR as an AA Plat. Actually, it's part of a larger PNR that includes segments on AA and LAN. Is there anyway to get exit rows or other premium seats? The flight is not a codeshare.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 4:54 am

Programs: QF Gold
jal seating

JAL seat assignments are simple on their website once you have obtained your JAL PNR - not the AA (Sabre) one.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by plane_mad
JAL seat assignments are simple on their website once you have obtained your JAL PNR - not the AA (Sabre) one.

Excellent point. You can get the partner airline PNR from AA via phone.
I always have them, and they have saved me a number of times.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:14 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Called EXP desk on a JAL code share next week via NRT to BKK can't get seats. Get my JAL PNR just called them record says "JAL do not touch" he said because its under the control of AA. Neither airline want's to assign me seats. Any idea what to do next or am I stuck waiting until I land at NRT?

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by mach92
Called EXP desk on a JAL code share next week via NRT to BKK can't get seats. Get my JAL PNR just called them record says "JAL do not touch" he said because its under the control of AA. Neither airline want's to assign me seats. Any idea what to do next or am I stuck waiting until I land at NRT?

Thanks
If you have the JAL PNR, why cant you assign seats yourself through the JAL website. I did that for a trip in Dec.

I booked using 3rd party for AA and JL trip. I called AA and could not get anywhere, but they were willing to assign seats for me (I wanted to see the map myself). Then I called JAL US reservations number, and they gave me the PNR number. Entered that online and was able to choose seats.

not sure whats going on with your Reservation.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
I'm back on the phone with the EXP desk as I type.

JAL is saying "N" class can only get seats at check in.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
For whoever have done this.
If you can do seat assignment on JAL site, is you flight AA flight number or JL flight number?

I am having the same problem. Called PLT helpdesk and JAL. No seat assignment until check in.

Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mach92
I'm back on the phone with the EXP desk as I type.

JAL is saying "N" class can only get seats at check in.
Originally Posted by yuchung5
For whoever have done this.
If you can do seat assignment on JAL site, is you flight AA flight number or JL flight number?

I am having the same problem. Called PLT helpdesk and JAL. No seat assignment until check in.

Thanks
Mine was JL. However, it wasnt N class either, not sure if they have any fare specific rules. I believe mine were W and K.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PETEFLYS
It looks like you can not get a seat assignment on a JL or BA flight if you are on a AA ticket and in not the right fare class.

This seems to be some new policy so looks like more airlines changing policy from one world staus.

I would appreciate anymore information anyone may have.
I don't know about BA but I have the same experience with JAL when the ticket is AA.

Neither AA or JAL can assign Y seats with AA codeshare flight. I know that ones can choose seats at JAL website with JAL PNR. EXP desk said that there is no JAL PNR when the JAL flight is booked under AA flight #.

Not sure if J or F would be different though.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Originally Posted by vrbaba
Mine was JL. However, it wasnt N class either, not sure if they have any fare specific rules. I believe mine were W and K.
JL told me that in N fare, even it is JL flight number, you can not do seat assignment until 72 hrs before flight. They don't care you are Oneworld Sapphire or not. And I am on AA flight number. I guess I am out of luck.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by yuchung5
JL told me that in N fare, even it is JL flight number, you can not do seat assignment until 72 hrs before flight. They don't care you are Oneworld Sapphire or not. And I am on AA flight number. I guess I am out of luck.
I think you're right - I flew NRT-SIN and back again on JAL last Sept. Booked in N class on the AA codeshare number. No seat assignment for me until I checked in. Tried online and on the phone with both AA and JAL. No dice.

Didn't bother trying again at T-72 though, so might have been able to get something before checking if I had.

For BA though, AA Plat and ExPlat should be able to select seats no matter what the fare basis. I've done this multiple times on both BA and AA flight number on BA metal without any problem.

Last edited by mrow; Feb 12, 2009 at 9:57 am Reason: Added BA info which I forgot to put last time!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by ilovetofly
Neither AA or JAL can assign Y seats with AA codeshare flight. I know that ones can choose seats at JAL website with JAL PNR. EXP desk said that there is no JAL PNR when the JAL flight is booked under AA flight #.

Not sure if J or F would be different though.
Originally Posted by k_getchell
I think you're right - I flew NRT-SIN and back again on JAL last Sept. Booked in N class on the AA codeshare number. No seat assignment for me until I checked in. Tried online and on the phone with both AA and JAL. No dice.

Didn't bother trying again at T-72 though, so might have been able to get something before checking if I had.

For BA though, AA Plat and ExPlat should be able to select seats no matter what the fare basis. I've done this multiple times on both BA and AA flight number on BA metal without any problem.
I did call AA again asking for JL PNR#. They said that since it is a codeshare flight, there is no seperate PNR# for JL segment. I guess in this case, neither AA and JL can help me at all.
Also, k_getchell, did you have any luck calling JL T-72?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.