Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby Policy re. Flying Earlier Thank Scheduled?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2M, Delta Flying Col., US Air Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Pres.Cir.
Standby Policy re. Flying Earlier Than Scheduled?

I booked a multi-city trip scheduled for next week, (SBA-XNA, LIT-ORD, then ORD-SBA. Looks as if the need for the XNA leg of the trip will be canceled, but am considering keeping it for the extra segments & miles.

If I take the trip as planned, and then try to fly standby on an earlier (up to a day earlier) LIT-ORD will I be subject to a fare change fee?

Last edited by mrviognier; Nov 3, 2008 at 3:57 pm
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same day standby is ALWAYS (well, almost always - there may be exceptions out there) free on AA. Prior day standby will incur a change fee (and re-fare) if not on unrestricted ticket.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mrviognier
I booked a multi-city trip scheduled for next week, (SBA-XNA, LIT-ORD, then ORD-SBA. Looks as if the need for the XNA leg of the trip will be canceled, but am considering keeping it for the extra segments & miles.

If I take the trip as planned, and then try to fly standby on an earlier (up to a day earlier) LIT-ORD will I be subject to a fare change fee?
You can standby on an earlier flight on the day you are scheduled to travel for free (or pay $50 for a same day confirmed change which confirms you) but anything where you are switching days will be a full change fee.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Same day standby is ALWAYS (well, almost always - there may be exceptions out there) free on AA. Prior day standby will incur a change fee (and re-fare) if not on unrestricted ticket.

...yes, there always are exceptions. The most notable one is that INTERNATIONAL fares (to/from/through markets outside of "North America") usually do NOT allow same-day free standby, NOT EVEN on the domestic feeder segments.

As always, call AA to be sure. Nobody here can tell you for certain about your specific fare rules.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Standby Policy re. Flying Earlier Thank Scheduled?
Not sure who you are thanking.

Stay out of the ORD AC for health reasons.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2M, Delta Flying Col., US Air Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Pres.Cir.
Nobody loves a smartass, gemac. Oh, except me.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

If you skip the unneeded SBA-XNA leg, expect the rest of the ticket to be cancelled.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:20 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Nobody loves a smartass, gemac. Oh, except me.
It's OK. We just figured you're generally drinking up the profits and attribute typos to that...especially since you said you make reds as well

Cheers.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Nope, it's not the drinking...and certainly NOT my wines (I know where those wines come from...why would I subject myself to drinking them?). It's all due to fat fingers.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
and certainly NOT my wines (I know where those wines come from...why would I subject myself to drinking them?).
And here I was thinking that, since we keep meaning to head down to Paso Robles to do some wine tasting, that we would have to visit your place. Especially with Grenache and Mourvèdre available. After that disclaimer, though, I'm not so sure

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.