Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost Blackberry on JFK-YYZ flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2008, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Lost Blackberry on JFK-YYZ flight

Hi all from regular Qantas board member...
I flew from JFK to YYZ today (Sat 25th) and think I left my blackberry on the plane (American Eagle 4774).
I tried ringing back to the YYZ office of AA and got a recorded message, rang through to the JFK flagship lounge who offered to check the lounge for me as well as the gate, but to no avail...
Is there any other way I can recover this if someone (Good Samaritan I hope) finds this and hands it in..
I am flying back out of JFK to SYD australia on Tuesday night...

Any suggestions or phone numbers would be great..
BTW the blackberry is password protected and has been suspended from service.

Cheers
IainF
Old Oct 25, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Can you be identified from the outside of the phone ie with no power on or before the password is entered? I have taped a business card to my device. If not I don't think you have good odds. Keep trying to check with lost and found in YYZ- although depending on where the phone wound up on the plane they might not have found it in YYZ in which case it is probably gone for good.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Try to find out where your flight went to next. If it returned to JFK for example, you may want to try calling lost and found there.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
While I sympathize with people who have lost articles aboard planes, two million people fly AA every week and this isn't a 'lost and found' board. AA Customer Service, AC angels, and elite lines can surely direct one to designated phone numbers in any AA city, if specific numbers are published.

My luck with recovering any item of value is poor. Once the aircraft pulls away from the gate chances of getting an item bad seem to dip markedly.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.8MM, UA 1k, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
While I sympathize with people who have lost articles aboard planes, two million people fly AA every week and this isn't a 'lost and found' board. AA Customer Service, AC angels, and elite lines can surely direct one to designated phone numbers in any AA city, if specific numbers are published.

My luck with recovering any item of value is poor. Once the aircraft pulls away from the gate chances of getting an item bad seem to dip markedly.
Dont lose hope! A flight attendant found me and returned my bose headsets to me.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:41 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
And I personally witnessed two agents looking for the Blackberry in the JFK Flagship Lounge yesterday, between 10 and 11 o'clock. I thought at the time if this was my blackberry that they were looking for, I would appreciate the thorough effort they made to find it. They easily spent 15 minutes going chair to chair loooking for the blackberry.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Before you had the service to the phone suspended, you might have tried calling the phone to see if it was answered by anyone (that's assuming that an incoming call could be answered without using the password), but why not ask your service provider to try calling the phone and overriding the password to see if anyone answers the call. Is that not possible?

Good luck,

bj-21.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks all for the help..
No luck but thats life...
After 10+ years of travel with very little going missing.. I can only put it down to being very tired after 3 straight flights including the redeye from LA...

It is good to hear that the Flagship lounge ladies were looking though. They were very good whilst I was in the lounge.

Cheers
IainF
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:46 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally Posted by IainF
It is good to hear that the Flagship lounge ladies were looking though. They were very good whilst I was in the lounge.

Cheers
IainF
Actually, one of them looking for the blackberry was a man. But it was both the lady working the desk inside the Flagship lounge as well as another gentlemen who was working the AC desk.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I lost mine flying into YVR on AA in February and it was found and turned in by cleaning crew. I went out the next morning and retrieved it from a ticket agent.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Have your tried calling your Blackberry? Assumes of course it still has a charge.

I was able to get my Blackberry back after a JFK-LAS flight after it went missing during the flgiht (Long story, but it was sitting on my lap and apparently fell off mid flight and we seached the cabin on landing and could not find it).

On of my best AA experinces yet. I called the BB the following day and a FA working the flight herd it ring and found it somewhere and picked up. She sent it back to me within two days. Great service I truely apprecaited.

There are still great FA's out there on AA going above and beyond and it's a big reason I still keep flying AA despite other gripes I may have.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Check with the baggage office in YYZ.

I recently left my laptop behind on a flight from ORD-DTW. (stupid, stupid, stupid I know, it was late....) Realized it once I got to my hotel an hour from the airport.

After I finished cursing myself, I called the Gold Line to get any info they had for Lost and Found at DTW. While I was on the phone with the Gold Line, the baggage office at DTW was CALLING ME(!) to say the laptop was found and they were holding it for me. Awesome customer service from the folks at DTW!

Don't loose hope, there are many good people out there.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by grahampros
(Long story, but it was sitting on my lap and apparently fell off mid flight and we seached the cabin on landing and could not find it).

On of my best AA experinces yet. I called the BB the following day and a FA working the flight herd it ring and found it somewhere and picked up.
Hmmmm so you lost it mid flight and the next day it rang when you called it...... Aren't you supposed to have it off during the flight? How could it ring if you lost it during the flight and its off?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Air Canada Elite, USAir Silver, United Premier
Something similar to this happened to me a few weeks ago, except it was my passport. I took an Eagle flight from ORD to YYZ and didn't notice it was gone until I went to leave from YYZ three days later. (I am a Nexus member, which means I can pass through Customs without needing to show anyone my passport - and I didn't think to check and make sure I had it.)

It was a HUGE hassle getting through US customs without a passport; thankfully I am a US citizen so I was eventually allowed through. I called AA immediately and put out the alert for a missing passport. The Admirals Club lounges in YYZ and ORD knew, the Lost and Found in ORD knew about it, and US Customs in YYZ knew about it. It was some four days later that I decided I would report it as lost and get a new one in the works - literally within a couple of hours of deciding that an AA rep from ORD Lost and Found called and they had it. Picked it up that Friday when I flew back through ORD (ORD is not my home airport) and it was all in order. I thank heaven for the AAngels
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Plat
Lost my BB a few years back on an LAX-NRT flight. Did not realize I had lost until I got back to the US, 10 days later (BB's don't work in Japan). When I called AA at NRT, I got scolded for waiting so long to inquire about it! Sure enough, they had it and were waiting for me. However, they said they were unable to mail it to the US. I had some friends in NRT, so was trying to arrange local delivery. I finally gave up on it. The AA person at NRT would have none of that. She insisted that the BB be somehow returned to me and asked me for my address, etc. Sure enough, 3 days later the BB arrived in Boston. There are some great people working at AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.