Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Orders 42 787 "Dreamliners" (+ 58 on options)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by N830MH
Nope! Try again for searching more new long haul routes from LAX-TPE/HKG/MNL/KUL/SIN/BKK/CGK/SYD/AKL
"Try [reading my post] again."
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Also, there is no "gentleman's agreement" between AA and Boeing. While I have heard nothing regarding it, I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see A330-200s - the ideal A300 replacement - joining the fleet before the 787-9s. AA needs an A300 replacement that can perform short/medium haul flights with significant cargo carrying capabilities in a dense 250-270 seat 2-class layout. Many of the A300 routes will be seeing a mix of 757s, 738s, and 763s starting in 2009, but that is only a temporary solution. The A330-200 can do that better than anything from Boeing, and AA isn't going to some false assumption that there should be loyalty to Boeing get in the way of that fact.
With the 787 delays, the A330-200 is enjoying something of a rennaissance (Airbus cannot make them fast enough) among airlines and we are starting to see some very interesting airlines expressing interest in A330s.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
Yes, there is a "gentleman's agreement" between AA and Boeing. Back in the 90's, Boeing and AA (and CO, too) tried to sign exclusive agreements with Boeing. Airbus complained and threatened to sue and the exclusivity was removed from the contracts. But there was still a "wink and a nod".

That being said, AA is totally free to order aircraft from any company and are not legally bound in any way. If Airbus came up with a deal that AA couldn't refuse, then it might be the MD-80 deal all over again.
Exactly.

It's not just a "gentleman's agreement," it's a valid contract between AA and Boeing. The only part of the 20 year agreement that was invalidated by the Europeans was the pledge of exclusivity by AA. As you pointed out, AA is free to order airplanes from Airbus.

Despite the postings of the uninformed, AA has a valid agreement it can enforce against Boeing containing, inter alia, favorable terms on pricing and delivery positions. Yesterday, some Dingus asked how AA got such early 787 delivery slots:

Kevin Crissey - UBS

How did you get the 787 slots so early? Was it your relationship or was it that someone canceled?

Thomas W. Horton

We’ve been saying for a long time that by virtue of our long-term agreement with Boeing we have access to the 787s. This is just manifestation of what we’ve been saying.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1001...=yahoo&page=-1
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
Please explain "the MD-80 deal." As I recall, it was the "DC-9-80" deal and it was executed at time when AA ascribed value to sourcing from more than one manufacturer.
I was simply referring to the fact that MD made AA an "offer that they couldn't refuse". Let's just say that AA got a VERY good deal on them. If AA needs planes in the interim period, I'm sure that they will look at Airbus if necessary.

Here is the reference to AA's current "preferred provider" agreement with Boeing in today's Seattle Times:

"For most customers, Boeing asserts the Dreamliner is sold out beyond 2016. American was able to secure deliveries as soon as 2012 because of a long-term agreement with Boeing that provides preferential delivery slots.

That agreement, signed in 1996, initially was exclusive. American identified Boeing as its "preferred provider" and signed up for purchase rights of more than 600 jets over two decades."
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Great news, hope they'll add more flights out to Asia from LAX and more flights to Europe from these birds. My suggestions:

Tapping in the fashionista & Cannes/Hollywood market:
LAX-CDG ^
LAX-FCO ^

Catch up against UA and NW in routes to Asia from West Coast:
LAX-KIX ^^
LAX-ICN ^
LAX-PEK ^
LAX-TPE
LAX-HKG ^
LAX-BKK ^
LAX-SIN ^
LAX-MNL

Other hopefuls:
JFK/ORD-DXB ^^
JFK/ORD-ATH ^^
JFK/ORD-PRG ^
JFK/ORD-CAI
DFW-SYD
DFW-HKG ^
DFW-FCO ^
ORD-HKG will be nice.
LAX-HKG has direct competition with CX.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 1:31 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Please explain "the MD-80 deal." As I recall, it was the "DC-9-80" deal and it was executed at time when AA ascribed value to sourcing from more than one manufacturer.
Yup and Yup. Although AA did exercise options to purchase more A300's either right before or about the same time that they struck that deal with Boeing. If Boeing had something that could legitimately replace the A300 (the 767 doesn't count because it can't carry the cargo), Boeing would have every right to be pissed, since they don't offer a competitor, they don't have a right to complain.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ndhapple
Yup and Yup. Although AA did exercise options to purchase more A300's either right before or about the same time that they struck that deal with Boeing.

Which "deal with Boeing" are you referencing above? AA purchased 35 AB6s from Airbus which were delivered between 1988 and 1993.

The DC-9-80 deal was several years prior to that. The 20 year "exclusive" deal with Boeing was reached in late 1996, long after all AB6s ordered by AA had been delivered.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by yuchung5
ORD-HKG will be nice.
And also you forgotten more new routes coming soon is:

LAX/ORD/MIA-TLV
LAX-SYD/AKL/NAN/GUM/
LAX-GRU/EZE
LAX-HKG
LAX-CAI
LAX-JNB
LAX-CPT
Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH
And also you forgotten more new routes coming soon is:

LAX/ORD/MIA-TLV
LAX-SYD/AKL/NAN/GUM/
LAX-GRU/EZE
LAX-HKG
LAX-CAI
LAX-JNB
LAX-CPT
I could see maybe ORD-TLV, LAX-HKG, and *maybe* LAX-EZE. Other than that, I don't think those other predictions are grounded in reality. AA isn't going to open whimsical new routes because they now have an aircraft that can do them.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I could see maybe ORD-TLV, LAX-HKG, and *maybe* LAX-EZE. Other than that, I don't think those other predictions are grounded in reality. AA isn't going to open whimsical new routes because they now have an aircraft that can do them.
MIA-TLV would happen well before ORD-TLV ever launched. The O&D market is more than 6x larger and Tel Aviv's fourth busiest long-haul market.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by MAH4546
The O&D market is more than 6x larger and Tel Aviv's fourth busiest long-haul market.
Then why did El Al discontinue its thrice-weekly MIA-TLV service on September 1?

Last edited by dayone; Oct 16, 2008 at 9:48 pm Reason: Clarity.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Then why did El Al discontinue its thrice-weekly MIA-TLV service on September 1?
Yes, that's correct. LY has been discontinuation due to high cost of fuel. Someday in the future LY will expected returns to MIA. If the fuel price will going down sometimes in between 2009 or 2010.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 1:43 am

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Which "deal with Boeing" are you referencing above? AA purchased 35 AB6s from Airbus which were delivered between 1988 and 1993.

The DC-9-80 deal was several years prior to that. The 20 year "exclusive" deal with Boeing was reached in late 1996, long after all AB6s ordered by AA had been delivered.
I seemed to remember AA taking some options on the A300 back in the early to mid 1990's and couldn't remember if that was before or after the exclusive deal. Apparently it was before it.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 1:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by yuchung5
ORD-HKG will be nice.
And AA has direct competition with JL on LAX-NRT and with BA on LAX-LHR. I fail to see your point.

I do however, suggest that AA really look into flying into far more destinations in Europe and Asia without the hassle of us going through LHR. For example, direct flights to such destinations as ATH, PRG, ICN, and BKK would be very nice!
Old Oct 17, 2008, 2:56 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Because of fuel and the extreme price sensitivity of the market. El Al used a very old 767-200ER on the route. The CASM sucked and it guzzled too much fuel. They had four 762s, but only two were capable of flying MIA-TLV, and both have been removed from the fleet. The average load was well over 85%. The flight operated in the black it's first year. Though when you are in a price sensitive market like Miami-Tel Aviv, the fares can't climb as much as they need to in order to keep up with fuel prices.

El Al will be back at MIA, maybe sooner rather than later now that they are getting a 5th 747-400 next year and fuel is back at sub-$70.

They discontinued Chicago well before Miami; and Chicago didn't even operate non-stop to Tel Aviv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.