Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What makes these seats special?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by COOLIO
I didn't get in in time to get an exit row on LHR-LAX at Xmas, but I got these strange preferred seats. They just seem to be each aisle seat going upto row 34. Oh well, picked some others and hope exit row becomes available on both legs
You would have preferred they save you the middle seats? I think it seems pretty logical to save a bunch of aisles for preferred members...
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by COOLIO
I didn't get in in time to get an exit row on LHR-LAX at Xmas, but I got these strange preferred seats. They just seem to be each aisle seat going upto row 34. Oh well, picked some others and hope exit row becomes available on both legs
And, of course, this aircraft (777) is different from the one the OP was referring to (762)
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinium 1.55MM AVIS Preferred Hertz Gold Marriott Platinum
The preferred seats are generally the aisle seats toward the front of the plane. Most people prefer to be toward the front (quicker boarding and unloading). Sometimes other non-middle seats toward the front are also preferred.
Old May 29, 2009, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA PLT
Question international flight on 777-200

My trip to NRT from LAX is on 777-200. Since I have no status with AA, I cannot have windows or aisle seat. All availables are middle seats which I don't like to be seated for 11 hours.

My question: my wife (AA Gold) is traveling with me although our itineraries are separate. Actually her status gave a preferred seat to my son also traveling together (on the same itinerary as my wife). Can I ask AA to be seated in a better seat using my wife's status? My experience with UA, I was only allowed to provide one person to be seated in economy plus seat.

Is there a limit where elite members give non-elite members better seats? Any help would be appreciated!!
Old May 29, 2009, 7:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, PC PLT, BAEC, QFF
Originally Posted by yoonsoo
My question: my wife (AA Gold) is traveling with me although our itineraries are separate. Actually her status gave a preferred seat to my son also traveling together (on the same itinerary as my wife). Can I ask AA to be seated in a better seat using my wife's status? My experience with UA, I was only allowed to provide one person to be seated in economy plus seat.
In general you'll need to be on the same itinerary as your wife (the elite) in order to pre-select your seat. There are no limits as to how many preselect seats you can give to your travel party as long as they are all in the same itinerary (my record is 5).

My recommendation is to see if your wife can ring up reservations and see if they can link your itineraries together and if they are nice enough they should be able to preselect a seat for you too.. but no guarantees there.
Old May 29, 2009, 9:02 am

Unlike UA's E+, the number of elite seats is not fixed. I have observed these seats being slowly released for general use starting a few days before the flight. The largest number were released on the day before the flight and they could be selected on aa.com. I am sure this varies depending on how full the flight is and how many elites there are on it.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akira22098
In general you'll need to be on the same itinerary as your wife (the elite) in order to pre-select your seat.
No, I don't think that's necessarily true. I was even able to get my companion an exit row seat next to me once. Then I got upgraded (int'l), she didn't clear, but she kept the exit row.

In any event, the elite member would have to call AA to try and get elite seating for the non-elite traveler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.