Wiki Posts
Search

Q Fare Upgrade? SFO-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, US Chairman, CO, DL, NW, MR Gold, HH
Q Fare Upgrade? SFO-JFK

Searched the forums, but couldn't find the answer (well found conflicting answers). I want to book some travel between SFO & JFK. Instant Upgrade is $1260, but I see there is a Q fare for about $131 and there is A inventory available.

The flight is a 762, which I thought was 3 class, thus I should probably be looking for C inventory (0 available at this time) not A, correct?

Question is two fold...

1. Can I upgrade Q fares? (read somewhere that all fares domestically with the exception of O fares are upgradeable).

2. Do I want A inventory or C inventory for an upgrade based upon the aircraft being 762?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by dxp178
Searched the forums, but couldn't find the answer (well found conflicting answers). I want to book some travel between SFO & JFK. Instant Upgrade is $1260, but I see there is a Q fare for about $131 and there is A inventory available.

The flight is a 762, which I thought was 3 class, thus I should probably be looking for C inventory (0 available at this time) not A, correct?

Question is two fold...

1. Can I upgrade Q fares? (read somewhere that all fares domestically with the exception of O fares are upgradeable).

2. Do I want A inventory or C inventory for an upgrade based upon the aircraft being 762?
1. All published domestic fares including O and Q are upgradable.

2. You should be looking for C inventory for eVIP/mileage upgrades and R inventory for sticker upgrades.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
1. All published domestic fares including O and Q are upgradable.
Incorrect. You cannot upgrade a domestic O fare with miles.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:38 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by sts603
Incorrect. You cannot upgrade a domestic O fare with miles.
But you can upgrade an O fare with stickers.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, US Chairman, CO, DL, NW, MR Gold, HH
Thanks for the responses...

Now I just need to determine if I want to play the lottery and see if those inventories come available!

I looked at other days and it doesn't appear to look to good in terms of odds!!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by dxp178
Thanks for the responses...

Now I just need to determine if I want to play the lottery and see if those inventories come available!

I looked at other days and it doesn't appear to look to good in terms of odds!!
There is one flight each way on the 763. I've often found eVIP/mileage availability on this flight when there is none available on the 762.

As for the sticker upgrade option, this is a very difficult route. As an EXP, I've always cleared but usually at the gate and it is not at all uncommon for the upgrade board to be several pages long. One notable exception: the Sat pm redeye.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA/BA
To me it looks like the poster was only looking at and asking about miles upgrades in his post.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by passinginterest
To me it looks like the poster was only looking at and asking about miles upgrades in his post.
Wasn't really clear IMO.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:41 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Where did you see that? I read the OP several times, and didn't see any indication of upgrade instrument.

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
The original post was specifically concerning miles, etc.. but the issue of sticker upgrades has been raised numerous times in the thread. Since I fly this route about once a month, I thought it might be useful to provide add'l information based on my personal experience vis-a-vis upgrades.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP didn't mention the possible upgrade instrument, but it's apparent they were thinking miles, given the clues in the thread. The first is the discussion of A and C inventory, which are relevant to miles and certs but not stickers. The second clue was the OP's statement about O fares not being upgradeable (which is correct if one is thinking miles or certs).

I agree that mentioning stickers is relevant. There's a chance the OP could upgrade with stickers.

A dissertation on the "3 class sold as 2 class" would not be relevant. But that won't stop someone from posting it as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.