Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions for my upcoming J class flight to Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Questions for my upcoming J class flight to Buenos Aires

Hi there! I tried searching out as much info as possible, but all of your "flyertalk" jargon is hard to decipher for a newbie So I am sorry in advance if these questions have been covered.

I am flying on a full-fare first class (F) ticket LAX to DFW on a 738 aircraft, but then flying full-fare business class (J) to EZE on a 763.

Couple of questions:
1) Does anyone know if I will be granted access to the Flagship Lounges or just Admirals clubs? The wording on aa.com is pretty confusing.

2) What is the difference between flying J on a 763 and F on a 777? I was presented both options assuming they were both first class, but now that my ticket is issued, I learned that it is "technically" business class on a 763, even though it is the highest level of service?

I have never travelled first class on an international flight on AA. I have travelled domestic first many times, including LAX to JFK (i believe on a 763), which was an amazing experience. Will it be similar? Any enlightenment to what I should expect would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
First, Welcome to FT. There is lots of great information here and you will soon pick up the jargon.

You will have access to the Admirals Clubs but not the Flagship lounge unless you are Executive Platinum (EXP) which for the rest of this post I am assuming that you are not.

The 763 on this route is a two class airline and so you will be in business. There is no first cabin. It will be the new generation biz class (NGBC) seats which do not lie 100% flat like a 777 flagship suite does.

There have been lots of threads on what people think about the NGBC. IMHO they aren't great but they aren't awful either. I tend to end up sliding down when I try to sleep on them, but still manage to fall asleep. YMMV (Your mileage may vary - in other words, you might have a different opinion or value them differently). Just do a search on NGBC seats
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:31 pm

Isn't the food better on the 767?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
The food (and wine selection) in J on a 763 is better than in J on a 777 but the food in F on a 777 is better than J on a 763.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by RxCapt
The food (and wine selection) in J on a 763 is better than in J on a 777 but the food in F on a 777 is better than J on a 763.
I meant in J but I wasn't clear. I've been watching for awhile but I'm still learning.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
763 J service is substantially better than 772 J service. 763 J and 772 F have basically the same food options, but the presentation is slightly different.

I think you made the right decision to go with the 763 flight via DFW, instead of the 772 flight via MIA. Aside from the obvious (avoiding MIA), the DFW-EZE flight is longer, giving you additional time to sleep (if you are able to sleep in NGBC).

Also, the IDF crews tend to be truly superb--the best ladies in the business, IMHO, true veterans of the industry who love their customers! (it's a very, very senior route, along with DFW-SCL, so most of your FAs will have 30+ years of service to AA)
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by RxCapt
Don't forget the better sundaes too....
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: BA SL, TG SL, Sixt DIA
Originally Posted by amberleigh07

2) What is the difference between flying J on a 763 and F on a 777? I was presented both options
I can not agree with most people in this thread.

If you have the choice between going in J on a 763 or F on a 777 of course you should take the 777, even if it is via MIA, which is not that bad.

Coming from LAX you can even enjoy F on the 777 twice (LAX-MIA and MIA-EZE), or sample the 763 on LAX-MIA and then the 777 down to EZE.

just my 2 cents
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Shanghighx
I can not agree with most people in this thread.

If you have the choice between going in J on a 763 or F on a 777 of course you should take the 777, even if it is via MIA, which is not that bad.

Coming from LAX you can even enjoy F on the 777 twice (LAX-MIA and MIA-EZE), or sample the 763 on LAX-MIA and then the 777 down to EZE.

just my 2 cents
I agree 100%. ^ My options on a recent JFK-EZE flight were J nonstop on a 763 or F via MIA on a 777 and I chose the 777. On the return, I flew back on the 763 from SCL-MIA. I had a more restful sleep on the 777 (no sliding down) and found the overall service to be better on the 777 in F than on the 763 in J.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:43 pm

I don't really think there is any disagreement here. From my reading of the posts everyone is saying 777 F is better than 763 J which is better than 777 J. Espen36 seems to prefer 763 J from DFW over 777 F from MIA based on the crew and longer time to sleep.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I really cannot understand why anyone would choose any J seat over an F seat if cost isn't a factor... The difference is substantial IMO.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by amberleigh07
2) What is the difference between flying J on a 763 and F on a 777? I was presented both options assuming they were both first class, but now that my ticket is issued, I learned that it is "technically" business class on a 763, even though it is the highest level of service?
Since your ticket is full-fare and thus refundable, why don't you look into canceling it and re-booking F on a 777? Although J on a 763 is just fine, there is nothing "technical" about it being business class. It IS business class. It is by no means anywhere near an international F experience. Not sure F on an AA 777 is either, but that's a whole other thread.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:32 am

Programs: AS, Hyatt
Last month I flew to EZE in 767 J and back in 777 F. The F experience is MUCH better because of the seat itself. It turns into a real bed. Miami is not that bad now that everything is in the C-D-E terminals. If you paid for full fare J you may be able to reroute and upgrade for a very few miles, or look around for an EXP's systemwide upgrades.

If you have to travel in J, get an aisle seat, because from the window it is almost impossible to climb over a reclined neighbor in the middle of the night to visit the loo.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In the Unofficial Users' Guide and the Wiki, you can find information and links leading to information, including illustrations, of the differences between classes. The 777 First cabin has the "Flagship Suite" product, truly an international First Class product; the 763 is a two-class aircraft with Business Class seating - no First (except it is called that when the same aircraft is flying US domestic routings.)

If budget is not a concern, have your routing changed to Miami and use the 777 First product. Vast difference.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Just got off EZE/JFK this AM. I was unfortunately in Y two seats back from J. In the bulk head seats were three families with children that screamed and carried on the entire 11.5 hour trip (flight was rerouted around weather in South America).

Children also ran the entire length of J most of the flight. A few of the parents had put their bags in the back of J overheads and kept getting up every few minutes to either get something or put something away.

FA finally came back and said that J paxs were complaining about the noise and interruptions. The parents were of course just insulted, didn't care. So no one in either that front compartment of Y or J got any sleep.

Hope the OP has a much better experience on his/her flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.