Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Priority AAccess Program (Sep 2008) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2008, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
New Priority AAccess Program (Sep 2008) (consolidated)

I just navigated to AA.com where I saw a banner proclaiming:
"New Priority Access:

-Dedicated Check-In
-Priority Boarding
-New, Separate Boarding Lanes"

I clicked on the link, but it states "This Page Coming Soon".

Does anyone know anything about this? This would be welcomed news...

Matt

<edited to add>
The link above is now live and takes one to the AA.com Priority AAccess page
/Moderator

Last edited by dstan; May 13, 2009 at 5:17 pm
Old Sep 20, 2008, 2:24 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More info on the program here:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=2808
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AA/BA
Do you think they'll still invite first to board in advance of lower-tier elites, etc? Like currently on 3-class international flights? Or will this system include all who would have any kind of priority group at the same time?
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:24 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no change in boarding order.

The addition of the Priority Access Lanes will allow qualified passengers to board at their leisure. So if a passenger misses the F or Plat/EXP boarding call they can use the (presumably shorter) line to slip past the other passengers.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
CO, COPA, TACA have had this as long as I have flown in and out of Latin America. Not that they actually OPEN the little queue but it is always there. Delta has one in MGA and SAL as well.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
PriorityAAccess

So, I just got helpful mail from AA telling me about a new program: PriorityAAccess

Details are on the web at: http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...ityaaccess.jsp

_mostly_, they're just branding the existing benefits they offer elites and those traveling up front.

The substantive changes seem to be:

* new dedicated boarding queues
* benefits have been extended to passengers flying with full-fare Y tickets.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Sounds like CO EliteAccess and DL Breezeway, really quite a good step I think.

Can't even tell yu how many times this has helped me when I am running late this year on CO.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Full-fare Y passengers are in Group 1 anyhow, correct?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's just hope that this new program doesn't diminish pre-boarding for EXP/PLT/EMD/SPH/AAirpass members.

There are a whole boatload of GLDs out there! Would really clog things up if GLDs could pre-board (instead of boarding in Group 1)!

So, I guess here's the question: Will this new priority lane change the order of boarding at all? Are we getting rid of the group system and lumping all eligible folks together? Or will the existing boarding priority remain intact? (F, then J, then EXP/PLT/etc, then Group 1, then Groups 2-)
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Let's just hope that this new program doesn't diminish pre-boarding for EXP/PLT/EMD/SPH/AAirpass members.

There are a whole boatload of GLDs out there! Would really clog things up if GLDs could pre-board (instead of boarding in Group 1)!
I don't know how AA will implement it but for an example using CO, I come in after boarding has started, I simply go to EliteAccess and get onboard or even get my new upgraded boarding pass handed to me while other groups are still boarding in the general queue, so you don't even have to go to the counter fighting you way through the looping around the counter general boarding.

BTW to answer your edited question, groups still would happen in general queues.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steph3n
I don't know how AA will implement it but for an example using CO, I come in after boarding has started, I simply go to EliteAccess and get onboard or even get my new upgraded boarding pass handed to me while other groups are still boarding in the general queue, so you don't even have to go to the counter fighting you way through the looping around the counter general boarding.

Yes, I definitely see the huge potential benefit there.

But my concern is that the GAs will interpret this new program to mean that they can ignore the boarding order, and instead simply say, "Okay, now we're boarding all Priority Access..." Because that could mean 90% of the plane on LGA-DFW!
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:18 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Steph3n
It makes the queue to the BP reader shorter, but there's still only one door, so the CF on the jetbridge still exists.

Cheers.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes, I definitely see the huge potential benefit there.

But my concern is that the GAs will interpret this new program to mean that they can ignore the boarding order, and instead simply say, "Okay, now we're boarding all Priority Access..." Because that could mean 90% of the plane on LGA-DFW!

So, I found part of the answer, at least in theory, in the FAQs:

Q: In what order will the gate agent board customers who are eligible to receive PriorityAAccess privileges?
A: As today, we will invite our First and Business Class passengers to board the plane first, followed by our AAdvantage Executive Platinum and AAdvantage Platinum members, then all other PriorityAAccess customers.

So it looks like the correct boarding order should be preserved. But I think it will become mighty convenient for GAs to ignore it by simply saying "All PriorityAccess may board..."
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
It makes the queue to the BP reader shorter, but there's still only one door, so the CF on the jetbridge still exists.

Cheers.
Sometimes you still have to wait in the jetbridge but at least it isn't behind everyone else as well so you can still get some carryon space ^
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also find this one confusing, from the press release:

PriorityAAccess customers will enjoy their own dedicated check-in area at the ticket counter with distinctive signage clearly identifying PriorityAAccess lines. In addition, "PriorityAAccess" will be printed on boarding passes, designating travelers as American's top customers. American will offer PriorityAAccess check-in areas at all of the airports it serves worldwide.

So they are going to add yet ANOTHER check-in line called "PriorityAccess," apart from First Class/EXP, First Class/EXP/PLT, Gold, and Coach? If so, who will be eligible to use the "PriorityAccess" line who wouldn't want to use the F line? Full-fare Y pax only? I just don't get it.

Or are they going to eliminate premium/elite check-in lines and instead have one grand unified "Priority Access" check-in line? BIG mistake IMHO.

I see the need for simplification, but at ORD, it could be a disaster, given that there are so many different lines:
1) International F / EXP / EMD
2) International J / Domestic F / PLT / SPH
3) GLD/RBY
4) International Y
5) Kiosk plus baggage check

Or at JFK:
1) F / J / EXP / PLT
2) GLD / RBY
3) International Y
4) Kiosk plus baggage check

And what about Park Ave at LHR?

I honestly don't know how this system is going to make life better for anybody other than full-fare Y pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.