Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better to buy new tickets or change old ones?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), Hertz 5 star
Better to buy new tickets or change old ones?

I booked a trip for myself, my wife and 2 kids to go to MSY leaving on 9-12.

OOPS

The last hurricane really beat the place up, and the NHC is calling for tropical storm conditions tomorrow.

Unfortunately, MSY is not covered under a Hurricane Watch Policy, or any other weather related policy from AA

Cost to change all 4 current tickets = $600. (Original reservations were $138 +$21 tax = $159)

Cost for new reservation = $636 (same pricing as above in Decemeber.

Is there any advantage to be gained by buying new tickets vs. the using the old ones?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
If I understand you correctly, then you'll save $9 per ticket if you use the old ones. That's about it.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
If I understand you correctly, then you'll save $9 per ticket if you use the old ones. That's about it.
I just get the feeling I am missing something....some trick, some angle...something!

Oh - the hurricane WARNING extends to within 70 miles of MSY tommorrow...(Morgan City, LA)
Old Sep 11, 2008, 6:52 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Well right now it said Gustav if your flying though todays date to MSY, have you tried to call and see if they will extend it one more day? Or maybe they will shut down some flights out of DFW tomorrow....
Old Sep 11, 2008, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by john398
Well right now it said Gustav if your flying though todays date to MSY, have you tried to call and see if they will extend it one more day? Or maybe they will shut down some flights out of DFW tomorrow....
yes -I have tried calling 1-2 times a day, practicing the "ask someone else until you get the right answer" strAAtagy...no dice

The best advice I got so far was to wait until the last minute to see if any of the flights cancel...
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
You'll have a much easier time getting into Pat O'Brians for a hurricane.

Hope your travels or changes work out. Stay away from coastal TX whatever you do!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benzguy80
You'll have a much easier time getting into Pat O'Brians for a hurricane.
I wouldn't be caught dead at Pat O's.

You more likely to find me on Frenchmen's street, Tipitina's, Camelia Grill, or at Jacques-Imo's, Praline Connection, etc....
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DallasAudiGuy
I booked a trip for myself, my wife and 2 kids to go to MSY leaving on 9-12.

OOPS

The last hurricane really beat the place up, and the NHC is calling for tropical storm conditions tomorrow.

Unfortunately, MSY is not covered under a Hurricane Watch Policy, or any other weather related policy from AA

Cost to change all 4 current tickets = $600. (Original reservations were $138 +$21 tax = $159)

Cost for new reservation = $636 (same pricing as above in Decemeber.

Is there any advantage to be gained by buying new tickets vs. the using the old ones?
The final answers:

1) The flight (AA1820) left on time, even though MSY is reporting tropical storm warning and periodic tornado warnings

2) The advantage of buying new vs. keeping old is that the useful (useless???) life of the tickets is a year from the later purchase date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.