Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Fake AA E-mail Warning! Phishing, malware, fraud, bogus, spoof etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE Wikipost instructions: members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may update it.

AA warns of phishing attempts to secure personal information for fraudulent activity. Many look like an e-mail with an attached ticket the recipient has allegedly purchased.

DO NOT CLICK on any links, including to the attachment, and do not call any number or follow any instructions, within the e-mail.

● DO forward a copy of the email, including the header to [email protected] so that AA can investigate further.
1. Keep the original subject line in the forward, and include the full text body.

2. Include the complete e-mail header if possible, -- Email programs often display abbreviated headers, but this link will show you how to see most full e-mail headers.
Link to aa.com page on phishing and fraud attempts

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Fake AA E-mail Warning! Phishing, malware, fraud, bogus, spoof etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
It is due to their inner guilt. They want to give you as many hints as possible that this is a fake email. Then if you still fall for it, they do not feel so bad when they take you to the cleaners.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dstan
Why is it that phishermen can't seem to right rite?

Also interesting that people sometimes complain here about the grammar police yet still expect their error-filled posts to be taken seriously...
LOL! For starters, I assume you meant "write" instead of "right" and "right" instead of "rite".

LOL
Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:35 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NYC1K
LOL! For starters, I assume you meant "write" instead of "right" and "right" instead of "rite".
Yes, I think your write hear.

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Their not teaching students to speak English too good in Russia, Romania, Negeria, China and those places where most of them erriginate. We can blame it on the edjikational system.

Originally Posted by dstan
Why is it that phishermen can't seem to right rite?

Also interesting that people sometimes complain here about the grammar police yet still expect their error-filled posts to be taken seriously...

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 5, 2010 at 4:27 am Reason: add header display help URL edit
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by JDiver
Definitely forward those e-mails, fellow members.
What address should they be forwarded to?

I got one today that is better than most, in that it's worded with fewer mistakes, and the link looks very close ("aa.americanesairlines.com" instead of "americanairlines.com").

It's clearly phishing: if you follow the link, it asks for an AAdvantage login.

Here's the email, if interested. I assume it's the same as what was posted above, but I thought the details of the domain in the link would be interesting.
Subject: American Airlines Message

Greetings from AA.com

Welcome to the American Airlines AAdvantage(R) program, the first and largest loyalty program in the world! We are proud to inform you that today June. 23 /2008 AmericanAirlines.com launch a new reward program. Please log in to your American Airlines account and take the 5 questions survey. For your effort you will be rewarded with $50

Your 50 dollars bonus code is AA-001NXX-2008NX22. Please log in to: http://aa.americanesairlines.com/bonus/ and follow the steps.

Thank you very much for your help and your patient and hope you will enjoy the American Airlines reward program in the future

Sincerely,
American Airlines Reward Department
Please do not reply to this auto-answer message

Discover the rewards that come with AAdvantage membership and start earning miles toward AAdvantage elite status today. Members can also earn miles at more than 1,500 participating companies including:
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
New phishing email...

Here's an interesting phishing email I received, one that targets AAdvantage accountholders:

Dear American Airlines Member,

The AAdvantage® program is American's travel awards program.It was the original travel awards program, established more than 25 years ago, and today is the world's largest program. AAdvantage members earn miles each time they purchase an eligible published-fare ticket and fly on American Airlines®, AmericanConnection®, American Eagle® or any of our more than 20 airline partners.
They also earn bonus miles for flying on an eligible purchased-fare Business Class or First Class ticket on American Airlines or any of our airline partners as follows:

An additional 25% of flight mileage flown in Business Class, or
An additional 50% of flight mileage flown in First Class.

In addition, members earn miles when staying at AAdvantage hotel partners or when renting a car from a partner company. Currently over 30 hotel partners representing more than 60 brands and all seven major car rental agencies are AAdvantage partners.
Because not everyone is a frequent traveler, miles can also be earned through non-travel-related partners including assorted financial and retail partners.
Miles can be redeemed for a variety of travel awards around the world on American Airlines, AmericanConnection, American Eagle and our airline partners.

Today American Airlines AAdvantage program, gives you the amount of $ 1500.00, through the AAdvantage Fidelity Program.
To receive the award of the above, please follow these steps:

Log to: http://aa.airlinesassistance.com/ with the AAdvantage Number/Password.
Submit the bonus code: AA-001NXX-2010NX22

Thank you very much for your help and your patient and hope you will enjoy the American Airlines reward program in the future.

Sincerely,
American Airlines Assistance
[email protected]
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So I'm guessing that they ask for credit card info once you get to the site? They can't just be planning on robbing us of our FF miles??

I don't want to click on the site in case it has bad juju (cookies, viruses, etc.).

I love how these phishing thieves also hoist themselves on their petard with their bad use of English, once they can't cut and paste from AA.com anymore:

Today American Airlines AAdvantage program, gives you the amount of $ 1500.00, through the AAdvantage Fidelity Program.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
$1500.00 not much of an offer....

Nigerian Airlines offered me $6.6 million last week
Old Feb 5, 2010, 1:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
I see that it is the last example on the aa.com phishing page.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 4:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Re-posted and moved from previous post

Definitely forward those e-mails, fellow members.

As it says on the Fraudulent Emails page on aa.com, "If you receive this type of email, you should not click on any links, open any attachments, call phone numbers listed or follow any instructions in the email. Instead, forward a copy of the email, including the header to [email protected] so that we can investigate further."

1. Keep the original subject line in the forward, and include the full text body.

2. Include the complete e-mail header -- Email programs often display abbreviated headers, but the link below will show you how to see the full e-mail header, at least with most e-mail programs:

http://www.haltabuse.org/help/headers/index.shtml
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
phish (not) from american airlines

friend of mine got this one...he figured out it was a phish after he logged in when they asked for his ss#, but thought i'd share in case it's making the rounds. (for me, the typos gave it away. )

edited to add: just in case i wasn't clear, it's a fake. DO NOT LOG IN TO THE FOLLOWING LINK AND GIVE ANY INFORMATION.

The AAdvantage® program is American's travel awards program.It was the original travel awards program, established more than 25 years ago, and today is the world's largest program. AAdvantage members earn miles each time they purchase an eligible published-fare ticket and fly on American Airlines®, AmericanConnection®, American Eagle® or any of our more than 20 airline partners.
They also earn bonus miles for flying on an eligible purchased-fare Business Class or First Class ticket on American Airlines or any of our airline partners as follows:

In addition, members earn miles when staying at AAdvantage hotel partners or when renting a car from a partner company. Currently over 30 hotel partners representing more than 60 brands and all seven major car rental agencies are AAdvantage partners.
Because not everyone is a frequent traveler, miles can also be earned through non-travel-related partners including assorted financial and retail partners.
Miles can be redeemed for a variety of travel awards around the world on American Airlines, AmericanConnection, American Eagle and our airline partners.

Today American Airlines AAdvantage program, gives you the amount of $50 & 15.000 miles, through the AAdvantage Fidelity Program.

Log to: http://www.aa.aadvantagesurvey.com/ with the AAdvantage Number/Password.
Submit the bonus code: AA-1028917109

Thank you very much for your help and your patient and hope you will enjoy the American Airlines reward program in the future.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Suspect but funny headers on the phish email

Hi gang:

Subject line: Only American Airlines makes you to fly

Had giggle about that!

Also, the From line:

All in all, not a very convincing job.

Little bit of advice: I only read my email in ASCII/Unicode (i.e., plain text). Helps to expose hidden and deliberately mislabeled links.

Cheers and safe travels all,
DocD
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: American Airlines
What To Do If You Receive A Phishing Email

American Airlines will never ask you to perform security-related changes to your account in this fashion or send emails to collect user names, passwords, email addresses or other personal information. Anyone who receives an email claiming to be from American Airlines, that asks for account information, should consider it fraudulent and an attempt to obtain personal information that may be used to commit fraud.

If you receive this type of email, you should not click on any links, open any attachments, call phone numbers listed or follow any instructions in the email. Please visit http://www.aa.com/phishing for more information.

AA.com Webmaster
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: American Airlines
Please be aware of a Fraudulent email circulating which is phishing.

Originally Posted by AAWEBMaster

Today American Airlines AAdvantage program, gives you the amount of $50 & 15.000 miles, through the AAdvantage Fidelity Program.

Log to: http://www.aa.aadvantagesurvey.com/ with the AAdvantage Number/Password.
Submit the bonus code: AA-1028917109

Sincerely,
American Airlines AAdvantage
[email protected]
-----
Please do not reply to this auto-answer message

Discover the rewards that come with AAdvantage membership and start earning miles toward AAdvantage elite status today. Members can also earn miles at more than 1,500 participating companies including:

* over 20 participating airlines
* leading hotel chains
* car rental agencies
* credit/debit cards
* dining
* financial services
* retail and gifts
* telecommunications companies
* vacations and cruises
What To Do If You Receive A Phishing Email

American Airlines will never ask you to perform security-related changes to your account in this fashion or send emails to collect user names, passwords, email addresses or other personal information. Anyone who receives an email claiming to be from American Airlines, that asks for account information, should consider it fraudulent and an attempt to obtain personal information that may be used to commit fraud.

If you receive this type of email, you should not click on any links, open any attachments, call phone numbers listed or follow any instructions in the email. Instead, forward a copy of the email, including the header to [email protected] so that we can investigate further. You may also visit http://www.aa.com/phishing for more information.

AA.com Webmaster

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 9, 2010 at 3:21 pm Reason: set phishing example apart more clearly
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by DocD
...Little bit of advice: I only read my email in ASCII/Unicode (i.e., plain text). Helps to expose hidden and deliberately mislabeled links...
That's a bit drastic. Modern e-mail programs show the target of a link when you hover over it, before you click. Granted, you have to think to look, but to me that's a small sacrifice compared to giving up all the other stuff (which often has content, not just appearance).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.