Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Survey: Would you like an upgrade on OneWorld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Just received an email survey from AA. It had me rate OneWorld and Star Alliance (although not SkyTeam, curiously) on my satisfaction with benefits, treatment, and upgrade opportunities. Then it asked a series of iterative questions about my preferences for a OneWorld upgrade instrument. (similar to United systemwide upgrades that can be applied to Lufthansa).

Specific questions:
1) Do you think such an instrument would add benefit, or detract from your experience because other OneWorld elites would now compete for upgrades on American?
2) It asked a standard gamble question about my desire to AA-only upgrade instruments, oneWorld upgrade instruments, companion upgrades, AAnytime/blow the budget awards, others.

Personally, I would find a OneWorld upgrade instrument to be very valuable. I did state in comments that elites on their own metal should have first priority (eg AA EXP before BA Gold on AA metal).
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:04 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Interestingly, BA is running a similar but not the same survey about Miles For Upgrades.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
I would like a OneWorld upgrade instrument, too -- though I completely agree that each carrier's elites should have first priority... It would be very nice though.

I suspect the merger between BA and AA is near completion if they are both sending out surveys?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by WalruSara
I suspect the merger between BA and AA is near completion if they are both sending out surveys?
Is suspect you mean Anti-Trust Immunity application rather than merger - the latter is hindered by the relative market caps. of the two carriers together with the 25% max. foreign ownershhip rule.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Upgrading with miles or eVip - please, please, please.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt PLT, Marriott Silver, National Exec
I woulid like the ability to upgrade as long as the carrier's elites have first priority
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Just received an email survey from AA. It had me rate OneWorld and Star Alliance (although not SkyTeam, curiously) on my satisfaction with benefits, treatment, and upgrade opportunities. Then it asked a series of iterative questions about my preferences for a OneWorld upgrade instrument. (similar to United systemwide upgrades that can be applied to Lufthansa).

Specific questions:
1) Do you think such an instrument would add benefit, or detract from your experience because other OneWorld elites would now compete for upgrades on American?
2) It asked a standard gamble question about my desire to AA-only upgrade instruments, oneWorld upgrade instruments, companion upgrades, AAnytime/blow the budget awards, others.

Personally, I would find a OneWorld upgrade instrument to be very valuable. I did state in comments that elites on their own metal should have first priority (eg AA EXP before BA Gold on AA metal).

Having thought about this again, there's virtually no risk of BA Golds competing with AA EXP's to use free systemwide upgrades modeled on eVIP's because BA hands out very, very few of these - the qualification level for GUF2's is 1.6x the Emerald qualification level and even then it's only for one round trip for two.

It could be that BA is thinking of handing out more, though that would seem to go against their business model of selling premium cabins, and trading people up whenever possible.

I suppose AA could pay BA to carry its elites in premium cabins though that seems hard to imagine.

Overall it sounds like mileage upgrades would be a lot easier to transfer between the partners than eVIP / GUF2 / systemwide upgrades.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by bernardd
Is suspect you mean Anti-Trust Immunity application rather than merger - the latter is hindered by the relative market caps. of the two carriers together with the 25% max. foreign ownershhip rule.
Yes, you're right. Forgive me for ever using the words of CNN again... I know better than that!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by InTheAirORD
I woulid like the ability to upgrade as long as the carrier's elites have first priority
I'm sure BA (etc) won't accept eVIPs any time soon. So we're talking about miles––and there's no priority for elites using miles to upgrade at the moment, is there?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by jamespvg
I'm sure BA (etc) won't accept eVIPs any time soon. So we're talking about miles––and there's no priority for elites using miles to upgrade at the moment, is there?

Got the same survey. That was one of the questions:

- prefer to have upgrade abilities of members with similar status on OW airlines (same would be true on AA)?

- prefer for a carrier to accommodate its own elite members first (same on AA)?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by InTheAirORD
Do you mean that an AA Gold (lowest tier) should have priority on AA over a BA Gold (highest tier)?

I'm not sure I agree with that...and if you treat EXP and PLT as "a tier" for comparison purposes, I'm sure I don't. If we want reciprocal benefits, we have to offer somethign up...
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by CO FF
Do you mean that an AA Gold (lowest tier) should have priority on AA over a BA Gold (highest tier)?

I'm not sure I agree with that...and if you treat EXP and PLT as "a tier" for comparison purposes, I'm sure I don't. If we want reciprocal benefits, we have to offer somethign up...
Would think they were referencing ruby sapphire emerald for comparison.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I would love the ability to use miles or evips to upgrade on other carriers.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by mvoight
I would love the ability to use miles or evips to upgrade on other carriers.

I totally agree with that. Using an eVIP for SAT-DFW-NRT-BKK would be a great benefit rather than the last 6 hour leg in coach...
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamespvg
So we're talking about miles––and there's no priority for elites using miles to upgrade at the moment, is there?
There certainly is priority for waitlisted upgrades to clear based on elite status. If inventory is available, then it's first-come-first-served. I have no idea what % of mileage upgrades are secured in advance vs. via waitlist, but I suspect the waitlist percentage is meaningful.

So while it absolutely makes sense to prioritize AA elites ahead of other OW elites on a waitlist (though whether that's all AA elites first or just within a comparable status level is another topic), it's less clear whether it makes sense to somehow further limit confirmed upgrades to non-AA OW members. Perhaps non-AA OW pax could only confirm an upgrade within 30 days of the flight, or something. There generally isn't a lot of available inventory at that point anyway, so that would force them to waitlist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.