Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with award ticket JFK-SYD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by CCayley
OP: I know you may be suffering from suggestion overload, but here's my 2 cents anyway. One cool way might be to go for JFK-EZE-SYD. Qantas's new EZE-SYD flight only starts in November so had (when I was looking a couple of months back) some good availability. It also gets about as close as a mainline flight gets to taking you over the South Pole...
Only on a OW ticket though. Not a valid routing for a partner award.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Still trying to nab seats.....

I have now managed to find departing J seats JFK-LAX-SYD on QF, but I am having trouble with return. We need 2 seats, with return date either April 3 or 4th. I have been searching QFF and expertflyer, then calling AA. I am not holding my breath on getting return seats with QF. You have all suggested great options. I have tried SYD-NRT-JFK, SYD-EZE-JFK, SYD-BNE-LAX-JFK, SYD-HNL-LAX-JFK...ETC with no luck.
I have not tried LHR yet as I am wondering if this is worth the hassle????
Any other suggestions or better ways to search online?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by frankcoton
I have now managed to find departing J seats JFK-LAX-SYD on QF, but I am having trouble with return. We need 2 seats, with return date either April 3 or 4th. I have been searching QFF and expertflyer, then calling AA. I am not holding my breath on getting return seats with QF. You have all suggested great options. I have tried SYD-NRT-JFK, SYD-EZE-JFK, SYD-BNE-LAX-JFK, SYD-HNL-LAX-JFK...ETC with no luck.
I have not tried LHR yet as I am wondering if this is worth the hassle????
Any other suggestions or better ways to search online?
You can't find SYD-NRT availibility? I was looking at that a few weeks ago and I saw heaps of availibility. JAL and QF? What about SYD-HKG? CNS-NRT? BNE-NRT on JAL and QF? MEL-NRT? SYD-PPT-LAX?
Old Jul 3, 2008, 4:36 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
2 J awards SYD-HKG on 8th april on QF.Problem is you are in to school holiday times in Australia.Victorian schools on holidays from the 3rd.NSW and QLD from the 10th but private schools usually begin break a week earlier.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Sign up for Qantas Frequent Flyer Club (its free to US residents). There you can check availability for a full calendar period. Keep checking back often, as bookings change and seats open up (and disappear). I fly home to Australia on average once every 18 mths using AA miles on QF, and in the past 10 years have been successful in finding biz award seats, by being flexible and planning ahead. Ive also found seats available only days or weeks in advance of when I wanted to fly. One suggestion is to search for one available seat, as searching for 2 wont give you a match if the system only has one available on a particular flight., Consider even flying on a different day or flight than your travel companion. Its better to spend 22 hrs in biz class alone, than spend 22 hours cramped together in coach...

Once you find your flights. call AA, tell them the exact flights and you they should find them also.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
QF 101 MEL-PVG, has one J and one Y award seat on April 4th. A second J seat may open up as award availability is good on this route. The flight arrives at 18:05 and there is J availability the next day on AA to ORD. The ORD flight leaves at 17.30, so you would 23-1/2 hours in Shanghai (no visa required for less than 48hrs).

Last edited by NWA747SNN; Jul 3, 2008 at 12:45 pm
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by JAppelbee
Its better to spend 22 hrs in biz class alone, than spend 22 hours cramped together in coach...
Old Jul 3, 2008, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWA747SNN
QF 101 MEL-PVG, has one J and one Y award seat on April 4th. A second J seat may open up as award availability is good on this route. The flight arrives at 18:05 and there is J availability the next day on AA to ORD. The ORD flight leaves at 17.30, so you would 23-1/2 hours in Shanghai (no visa required for less than 48hrs).
Does AA awards allow 23 1/2 hours layover? I thought it is only 6 hours on international route, but then the last flight in first flight out rule also applied.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Iirc, another member posted TN is joining the leftover, er, SkyTeam, alliance, and if so, one can't be too sure how AA miles awards will be handled in the long run. But yet another option is Tabua Class on FJ (Air Pacific,) ex-LAX and via NAN / Nadi. Not too bad at all, kind of like a combo Biz and First class.

We've found QF U allocations for two Business seats, using BNE, SYD and MEL, in that order - it does take some persistence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.