Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$20 Fee For EXP Buying Award For a Friend?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
$20 Fee For EXP Buying Award For a Friend?

I've just been advised by an AA ticket agent in Barbados that I will have to pay $20 for each award ticket that I am purchasing for friends. Is this one of the new fees which now apply to EXPs? I'm asking as the agent was surprised that it was being charged to an EXP and is querying it with Dallas.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Fees that are waived for EXP have always applied if the EXP is not traveling. I'm not sure where the figure of $20 comes from (I thought awards were now $5 if outside the 21 day period), but the existence of normally-waived fees in this case is not new.

I wonder if part of those fees are the taxes?

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by brp
Fees that are waived for EXP have always applied if the EXP is not traveling. I'm not sure where the figure of $20 comes from (I thought awards were now $5 if outside the 21 day period), but the existence of normally-waived fees in this case is not new.

Cheers.
Would the EXP be able to get around this by booking award tix for the both himself/herself and the friend... and then canceling his/her own ticket? Just curious.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
Would the EXP be able to get around this by booking award tix for the both himself/herself and the friend... and then canceling his/her own ticket? Just curious.
I think so, provided they pay the $150 fee to redeposit the miles

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Jul 1, 2008 at 12:52 pm Reason: because the fees are changing too fast...
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
I think so, provided they pay the $100 fee to redeposit the miles

Cheers.
I redeposited miles yesterday and it cost me $150.

Last edited by auditd0rk; Jul 1, 2008 at 12:50 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
I've always had to pay $15 for my better half when using my miles.

Guess it will have to be $20 in the future.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magic111
I've always had to pay $15 for my better half when using my miles.

Guess it will have to be $20 in the future.
Ah...$15 phone fee plus the new $5 award fee...makes sense now.

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
OP said he was told of the fee by the Barbados "ticket agent". So he's not getting the tix online. $20 is the phone fee per award ticket.

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...cessingFee.jsp

Last edited by swag; Jul 1, 2008 at 12:54 pm Reason: link
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Fees for claiming the awards ("expedite" fees) are waived when the miles are coming from an EXP account, regardless of who is traveling.

However, if the traveler(s) include non-EXP(s), then the other fees (phone ticketing, etc.) will apply for all non-EXP(s).
Old Jul 1, 2008, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Ah...$15 phone fee plus the new $5 award fee...makes sense now.

Cheers.
Plus the September 11 Security Fee (up to $10). And checked bag fee (if the elite member isn't flying).

I can't keep up with the new fees. I guess if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 1:10 pm

Its just $20. Suck it up and pay it.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses - I think it's clearer now! Unfortunately I have to go to the AA office here to pay the fees & taxes as I don't have a credit card with a US address. My Barbados and UK cards are not accepted online or by the EXP desk (except once, bizarrely).
The $20 fee is in addition to the regular taxes which came to US$ 115 for each ticket (CPH-BGI-CPH partner award on BA). Incidentally, if you buy the same economy fare on BA, the taxes are an incredible $540, including the fuel surcharge.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyAA
Its just $20. Suck it up and pay it.
I wasn't complaining about having to pay the $20; just wondered what it related to as the AA agent had no idea herself. The system was down when I tried to complete the ticketing so the agent called subsequently to warn me that I might have to go back and pay the extra $40. She's now called again to advise that AA have decided not to charge the fee this time as neither the agent nor I had been advised about it. It will definitely apply in future though.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 1:37 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Fees for claiming the awards ("expedite" fees) are waived when the miles are coming from an EXP account, regardless of who is traveling.

However, if the traveler(s) include non-EXP(s), then the other fees (phone ticketing, etc.) will apply for all non-EXP(s).
Not exactly. The new $5 appears no to be waved as it is not an "expedite" fee. I'm not sure if the actual expedite fees (inside 21 days) are waived if the EXP is not traveling (but using her/his miles), but that doesn't sound right.

Also, if non-EXP are on the same PNR as EXP, the fees do not apply to the non-EXPs.

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I recently bought an award ticket for my wife (separate PNR from me) for SFO-ORD and was charged $20 even though the miles came from my account.
Then I got charged $5 tax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.