Wiki Posts
Search

A few noob questions - first flight on my own

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hi, Ayer. Welcome to Flyertalk.

I believe that all of your questions have been addressed except the last one, who to see if your flight ORD-LGA is cancelled. If you are at the gate, and the gate agent announces the cancellation, they will normally handle re-routing or direct you to someone who will. If it is just posted on the monitors, look for AA service desks, sprinkled throughout the terminal, or any AA employee at any gate who doesn't look busy can help you.

Is your camp by any chance a band camp?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by gemac
Hi, Ayer. Welcome to Flyertalk.

I believe that all of your questions have been addressed except the last one, who to see if your flight ORD-LGA is cancelled. If you are at the gate, and the gate agent announces the cancellation, they will normally handle re-routing or direct you to someone who will. If it is just posted on the monitors, look for AA service desks, sprinkled throughout the terminal, or any AA employee at any gate who doesn't look busy can help you.

Is your camp by any chance a band camp?
Hehe, I did answer that one, but you've done a better job answering it than I did

Enjoy camp, OP!
Old Jun 29, 2008, 4:53 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Take a cell phone with you, because if a problem does develop with your flight, it's pretty much guaranteed to be faster making alternate arrangements by calling American Airlines reservations than waiting in line for a gate agent. Fortunately, at smaller airports, hubs (like ORD and DFW for AA), and late flights when there are few others, if a plane is taken out by a mechanical failure, the Gate Agents (GAs) usually make arrangements for the entire plane. Have the AA reservation phone number programmed in the phone.

If you are going to be away for long enough and have to check a bag, might as well make it a big one, with wheels. If it's big enough, when you reach your destination airport, you can put your carry-on bags inside the large bag so you are only pulling one bag on wheels.

You are allowed two carry-on bags. With the Regional Jet first leg, I would suggest having a smaller, flexible sided bag for taking on board things that you want with you on the flight and/or things you do not want to be possibly broken from handling/shifting in turbulence/etc.--like electronics/computer. Again, the smaller bag can usually reside inside the carry-on bag, to be pulled out only when needed (like regional jets, or unreasonable airports like London-Heathrow was last year).

Have a copy of your itinerary in every bag you take, both checked and carry-on. I type one up in a word processor, including my name, my cell phone number (so I can be called directly), my flights, my ultimate destination and dates I'll be there (including mailing address and phone number in case it's found and guidance needed when I'm not available to take a call--like while riding in a plane), and a "permanent" contact (usually my parents or other family member who is familiar with my trip and needs, but not going anywhere and so is always available--in case it takes longer than I will be staying where I am visiting).

Also, I like to have a snack available if I'm in the mood. An apple and/or pretzels do nicely. If it's meal time, I often pick up something from McD's or another restaurant and bring it aboard with me.

While you cannot take a full water bottle through security, I always take an empty bottle through security with me (only once was I even asked if it was empty; the rest it's not even blinked at through the x-ray), and fill it up from a water fountain near the gate. Especially regional jets react more to turbulence, in which case the pilot will not let the Flight Attendants (FAs) up to bring drinks to passengers, so having a water bottle handy is nice (also when sitting fairly far back in coach on a mainline jet, waiting for the FAs to work their way back to you).

And definitely be signed up in the American Airlines AAdvantage program before you fly (you can sign up fast on the AA.com website, down in the lower right), and be sure your Frequent Flyer number is on your boarding pass (ask the Ticket Agent at the airport to be sure, if you don't see it). It has to be connected with the flight before it gets posted in their system. Check back with us later for suggestions how to keep those miles safe from disappearing in 18 months, and add to them for free (like at OpinionPlace.com).

After your trip you can think about tracking your travels on FlightMemory.com

Enjoy your flights and camp!

Steve
Old Jun 29, 2008, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your replies! I'm heading out for the airport soon.

Once I get internet access in New York, I'll tell you how everything went
Old Jun 29, 2008, 6:31 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
It may be too late for this but... always make sure your cell phone is fully charged before you travel. Sometimes, during irregular ops (cancelled, weather, delays, etc.) you can incur long hold times while waiting for AA to take your call. But those long hold times may still be shorter than the wait in a airport line. BTW, you do both. Get in the line at the airport and also get on the phone to AA; almost always the phone has been quicker for me.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 7:37 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who goes to camp in NYC?

[ non TOS violating content censord for unknow reason ]

Last edited by HNL; Jun 29, 2008 at 9:07 am Reason: no need for speculation
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:38 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ayer
I'll tell you how everything went
I'm sure that you will.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by HNL
[ non TOS violating content censord for unknow reason ]
We can only speculate.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:32 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Blumie
We can only speculate.
Juilliard?

Last edited by dayone; Jun 29, 2008 at 9:47 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by HNL
Who goes to camp in NYC?
Did the poster say his ultimate destination was "New York City"?

Despite widespread misconceptions, even among residents of that city, New York is in fact both a large city and a quite substantial state, which includes such things as Niagra Falls, Adirondack Park (the largest state-level protected area in the United States), the Finger Lakes, a substantial stretch of the Appalachian Trail, the Hudson valley, the Delaware Water Gap, and probably several thousand summer camps, a portion of the above as convenient to Laguardia airport as any other.

Also there are a few trees and lakes and other non-paved over areas. Come visit some time!
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:09 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c_stanley
Did the poster say his ultimate destination was "New York City"?

Despite widespread misconceptions, even among residents of that city, New York is in fact both a large city and a quite substantial state, which includes such things as Niagra Falls, Adirondack Park (the largest state-level protected area in the United States), the Finger Lakes, a substantial stretch of the Appalachian Trail, the Hudson valley, the Delaware Water Gap, and probably several thousand summer camps, a portion of the above as convenient to Laguardia airport as any other.

Also there are a few trees and lakes and other non-paved over areas. Come visit some time!

You are quite right, upstate New York is home to many scenic attractions.

But that begs the question of our young traveler as to why they did not fly to ROC, ALB, BUF, or another upstate airport. The OP was flying to LGA.

BTW - anyone catch wehre the OP is traveling from? e.g. where s/he lives.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

I arrived in Laguardia with no issues thanks to all of your helpful posts.

Well we landed four hours late, but other than that, no issues at all.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:21 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by ayer
I arrived in Laguardia with no issues thanks to all of your helpful posts.

Well we landed four hours late, but other than that, no issues at all.
Rough weather day with some big T-storms in the afternoon slowing things down - glad you made it! Have a great time at camp!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.