Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renew AC membership - do they help ACs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Renew AC membership - do they help ACs?

My AC membership is up for renewal in August. I want to give thanks to this "investment" that I made. This little card helped me in times of irrops, delays, and requesting last minute changes.

Does renewing at a specific AC benefit them in anyway? Do I have to go my favorite AC (HNL) of choice, or can I call them and renew it over the phone with them, despite the fact that LAX is my home airport?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:37 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a long held FT myth that AC renewals help give "credits" to various clubs in the eyes of management. Turns out not to true.

Regardless - I still call my fav club (HNL - no surprise there) to renew by phone.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by HNL
It's a long held FT myth that AC renewals help give "credits" to various clubs in the eyes of management. Turns out not to true.

Regardless - I still call my fav club (HNL - no surprise there) to renew by phone.
According to the AAngels at SJC, the high # of renewals at that clus was one factor that was considered when the club's lease was renewed last winter. It wasn't the only factor, but it was definitely a factor.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:41 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
As HNL noted, the renewal does not help the individual club (yet I still go to SJC and do it in person). What does help is "swipes." The more people that visit, the better. When I travel back into SJC, for example, I go to the club to swipe, even though I'm not staying.

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by HNL
It's a long held FT myth that AC renewals help give "credits" to various clubs in the eyes of management. Turns out not to true...
While it may no longer be true, it's much more than an FT myth. At the BOS AC a while back the desk agent noted that my membership was about to expire and asked if I'd like to renew. I said I'd do it online later. She asked if I could possibly do it at the club, then or later, as it helped them. (I don't recall what I did, not that it matters for this thread.)

This was someone I had dealt with several times before, who knew me by name as a regular customer, and had no reason to invent something like that.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone should tell the AC gatekeepers at the smaller outposts that renewals don't matter - since I've been hit up recently at five of them to renew my membership that expires at the end of August. They all seem to think it helps.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Efrem
While it may no longer be true, it's much more than an FT myth. At the BOS AC a while back the desk agent noted that my membership was about to expire and asked if I'd like to renew. I said I'd do it online later. She asked if I could possibly do it at the club, then or later, as it helped them. (I don't recall what I did, not that it matters for this thread.)

This was someone I had dealt with several times before, who knew me by name as a regular customer, and had no reason to invent something like that.
Ditto, I've heard the exact same thing from the fine folks at the RDU AC. I've always renewed in person there and they've always been very thankful.

Originally Posted by HNL

Me too. I love the getting the personalized thank you card.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Another point...

I was recently told in STL that ACs receive more (or better?) credit if entrance is based on taking an international flight as opposed to being a member.

ZakkW
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:32 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bdemaria
According to the AAngels at SJC, the high # of renewals at that clus was one factor that was considered when the club's lease was renewed last winter. It wasn't the only factor, but it was definitely a factor.
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Someone should tell the AC gatekeepers at the smaller outposts that renewals don't matter - since I've been hit up recently at five of them to renew my membership that expires at the end of August. They all seem to think it helps.
When I went to renew at the SJC AC, I asked my go-to AAngel there (someone I trust completely) about this. She told me that the renewals didn't count for the club, only the swipes.

Bottom line is that we're getting inconsistent information from similarly-placed sources, and it sure ain't gonna hurt to renew at a favorite small club.

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by ZakkW
I was recently told in STL that ACs receive more (or better?) credit if entrance is based on taking an international flight as opposed to being a member.

ZakkW
Plus we'll get free drink chits when entering for an int'l flight instead of as an AC member.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by brp
When I went to renew at the SJC AC, I asked my go-to AAngel there (someone I trust completely) about this. She told me that the renewals didn't count for the club, only the swipes.

Bottom line is that we're getting inconsistent information from similarly-placed sources, and it sure ain't gonna hurt to renew at a favorite small club.

Cheers.

Perhaps somebody should email [email protected] to find out the official word?

I've heard conflicting info as well. The AAngels at HNL were so grateful when I called out there to renew last December! I got a lovely thank-you note.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:05 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An agent asking you to renew in person or they are grateful when you do renew (in person or phone), does not mean the renewal is helping insure the clubs viability. Maybe they are just happy to have you as a continued customer.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:06 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Perhaps somebody should email [email protected] to find out the official word?

Sounds like you are volunteering for duty
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:48 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I had an ac membership for two years and let it lapse, when aa opened the door to amex plats to use the ac's (and dl, co, nw lounges when flying on a same day ticket.)
I mentioned to one of the ac club angels, that I had switched to amex (since their offer was too good to pass up--$100 credit on my card for switching from business gold to business plat; 20,000 reward points) she noted that her husband was planning not to rewew ac but go amex route also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.