Wiki Posts
Search

Whither the A300s?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Gold; OnePass; SkyMiles
Question Whither the A300s?

I just searched for prices & schedules for a September trip to SJU & was surprised to fine that all of the MIA-SJU flights are now on 757s, with not a single A300 listed. Does anyone know whether this indicates a general retirement of the A300 fleet or just a SJU anomaly? I know I'm in a minority, but I have always found the A330s to be more comfortable that the 757s.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
A few A300s were going to be taken out of service but this was not announced as affecting the actual flight selection.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 2:05 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The A300s are gone completely from MIA-MCO too.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is that the schedules are still very fluid and subject to constant change; they most certainly are not carved in stone.

I've heard rumours that perhaps 10 or more AB6s will be parked this fall - leases on 3 of them terminate this year and 3 more next year. Additionally, AA owns 10 of the 34 AB6s (the other 24 are leased) and some or all of the owned AB6s may be parked.

Fuel hogs, maintenance hogs and too many seats to support high fares. In a couple of years, most or all of them will be gone.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
1 of the 5 JFK/MIA dailies is changing from an AB6 to a 757 in the fall, but there will still be 3 running AB6 (and 1 762 as today)
Old Jun 10, 2008, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
My guess is that the schedules are still very fluid and subject to constant change; they most certainly are not carved in stone.

I've heard rumours that perhaps 10 or more AB6s will be parked this fall - leases on 3 of them terminate this year and 3 more next year. Additionally, AA owns 10 of the 34 AB6s (the other 24 are leased) and some or all of the owned AB6s may be parked.

Fuel hogs, maintenance hogs and too many seats to support high fares. In a couple of years, most or all of them will be gone.
You described the A300 perfectly. The question is the cargo still profitable at $135 oil. AA has to flood the market with cheap fares to fill the 265 seats on each flight. My guess is too that within a few years these a/c will be replaced by 757/738, unless the cargo is really that profitable.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mdusry
I just searched for prices & schedules for a September trip to SJU & was surprised to fine that all of the MIA-SJU flights are now on 757s, with not a single A300 listed.
September often brings seasonal drawdowns which are used for maintenance.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
It is still listed as far out as February on the MIA-MGA route, albiet a later times than in the past.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 5:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I wonder whether "whither" should be wither. Oh well, whichever and whatever.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by mdusry
... but I have always found the A330s to be more comfortable that the 757s.
I strongly agree...but, have only flown NW's.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
I wonder whether "whither" should be wither. Oh well, whichever and whatever.
There is a dictionary vs. suggesting they were wrong when you cannot even be sure.

whith·er (hwr, w-)
adv.
To what place, result, or condition: Whither are we wandering?
conj.
1. To which specified place or position: landed on the shores whither the storm had tossed them.
2. To whatever place, result, or condition: "Whither thou goest, I will go" Ruth 1:16.

If the A300's dry out and they could wither, too, I suppose.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I suspect that pretty quickly, the remaining AB6s will be deployed to SDQ and SJO pretty much exclusively to haul t-shirts and other cAArgo up from CAFTA-DR factories.

I agree with the earlier comment--there are simply too many seats on the AB6 for AA to sell the seats profitably. The average passenger on an AB6 pays hundreds of dollars less than the average passenger on an ERJ.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
There is a dictionary vs. suggesting they were wrong when you cannot even be sure.
Since you enjoy playing dictionary...

Wither \With"er\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Withered; p. pr. & vb. n. Withering.]

[OE. wideren; probably the same word as wederen to weather (see Weather, v. & n.); or cf. G. verwittern to decay, to be weather-beaten, Lith. vysti to wither.]

1. To fade; to lose freshness; to become sapless; to become sapless; to dry or shrivel up.

Shall he hot pull up the roots thereof, and cut off the fruit thereof, that it wither? --Ezek. xvii. 9.

2. To lose or want animal moisture; to waste; to pin? away, as animal bodies.

This is man, old, wrinkled, faded, withered. --Shak.

There was a man which had his hand withered. --Matt. xii. 10.

Now warm in love, now with'ring in the grave. --Dryden.

3. To lose vigor or power; to languish; to pass away. ``Names that must not wither.'' --Byron.
Perhaps you'll agree that the A300s have languished and are likely to pass away.

PS. My post was intended to be playful, not critical. I'm sorry that my alliteration was lost on you.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My sources' rumoured estimates were close; Tulsa maintenance GM says 10 AB6s and 20 MD-80s to be parked:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080623/ok_ai...ival.html?.v=1
Old Jun 23, 2008, 4:48 pm

My sources' rumoured estimates were close; Tulsa maintenance GM says 10 AB6s and 20 MD-80s to be parked:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080623/ok_ai...ival.html?.v=1
280 MD80's and ~15 A300 still need to be parked to reduce fuel per per passenger per mile

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.