Wiki Posts
Search

why no flights to Manchester (NH)?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
why no flights to Manchester (NH)?

I find it interesting that AA doesn't fly to MHT. Every other "major" (CO, DL, NW, UA, US) as well as Southwest and Air Canada fly to Manchester, NH. Why no flights from Chicago? UA even runs full size (737) aircraft there.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AGSF
I find it interesting that AA doesn't fly to MHT. Every other "major" (CO, DL, NW, UA, US) as well as Southwest and Air Canada fly to Manchester, NH. Why no flights from Chicago? UA even runs full size (737) aircraft there.
AA doesn't see a financial need to put another airline at MHT.
Not too long ago, WN didn't even serve SFO.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mvoight
AA doesn't see a financial need to put another airline at MHT.
Not too long ago, WN didn't even serve SFO.
I don't disagree with you that there must be no financial benefit in serving MHT. Otherwise AA would be there. The question is, how/why does UA run multiple flights into MHT every day from ORD? Is all of that traffic going to or coming from the destinations that AA doesn't serve from ORD?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:17 am

I don't disagree with you that there must be no financial benefit in serving MHT. Otherwise AA would be there. The question is, how/why does UA run multiple flights into MHT every day from ORD? Is all of that traffic going to or coming from the destinations that AA doesn't serve from ORD?
I'm no airline expert, but I think that the Southwest presence at MHT makes it consistently and considerably cheaper to fly from to most places in the US than pretty much any airport in New England, sometimes dramatically so. I've used it myself. If AA wants to let the other guys fight over small potatoes, so be it.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
You could also ask why AA runs four flights a day from ORD to TOL, but UA runs none.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
You could also ask why AA runs four flights a day from ORD to TOL, but UA runs none.
Klinger is an EXP?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 4:00 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would sooner see mainline on ORD-BDL than service into MHT to be honest. Minimal mainline into BDL indicates to me one of two things: AA doesn't have a lot of insurance contracts, or they have insurance contracts that only fly via destinations from DFW
Old Jun 4, 2008, 5:48 am

Programs: AA PLT
Think you may have answered your own question
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Given today's news, I wouldn't count on those flights much longer.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Another reason could be that AA already has a significant presence at BOS
Old Jun 5, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Member, (4MM+) Starwood Preferred, Marriott Rewards, Hertz Gold Plus
Greetings All,

Have got relatives who live 5 mins from MHT and would love to see AA's service return here. Years ago AA Eagle had landing rights from LGA (Turbo Prop) and ORD (Regional Jet), but seems like many of the flights we booked years past on AA...were either cancelled due weather (although US Airways was flying the same day), or cancelled due mechanical....or cancelled due light passenger bookings.

At present, our relatives either drive to BOS to pick us up when we fly nonstop from DFW to BOS, or when I can find a lower fare into MHT via a US Airways city, like PHL, DCA, IAD, ORD, EWR.

With the way that AA is cutting back these days, I would think that MHT would not be on their list to re-start up service. But, we can always still hope that AA might someday return to MHT.

Cheers
Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:45 pm

Programs: Earned: AC SE, AA PLT - Comped: DL PLT, Avis PC, Hertz Platinum
I find it interesting that AA doesn't fly to MHT. Every other "major" (CO, DL, NW, UA, US) as well as Southwest and Air Canada
Air canada? Are you saying AA should fly a beech 1900 from ord?

UA even runs full size (737) aircraft there.
Used to be 757's and 319's as well..I was flying ORD-MHT weekly a few years back..got a status match AA->UA...and haven't flown aa since

....but I've got a plt challenge coming up, yippee!
Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
IIRC, MHT was WN's first foray into the Boston market in the typical WN style of using less convenient airports that do not have flight delays. One suspects it has lower yield that BOS flights, or might even reduce BOS yields and loads because some BOS passengers would fly out of MHT. In any event, doesn't make sense.

As for ORD-BDL, wish I understood why flying to BDL on AA is more expensive than flying to LGA and why AA is the only airline in the increasingly decrepit terminal but my suspicion is they assume some hardcore AA loyalists will pay a premium to fly AA to BDL but there's only enough of those folks to justify DFW-BDL on mainline and the rest on Eagle. That terminal has to be the worst in the AA system. Then again, maybe its just the contrast with the terminal that all the other airlines fly in which is very nice.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinium 1.55MM AVIS Preferred Hertz Gold Marriott Platinum
[QUOTE=C17PSGR;9833734]One suspects it has lower yield that BOS flights, or might even reduce BOS yields and loads because some BOS passengers would fly out of MHT. In any event, doesn't make sense.QUOTE]

I grew up 1/2 way between MHT and BOS. About 45 minutes from each. I agree that flights at MHT would take away BOS passengers. Although it would be nice to have an alternative to BOS, I don't believe it would be a good investment on AA's part.

-Mike

PS I acutally got my pilot's license at MHT.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 9:29 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
As for ORD-BDL, wish I understood why flying to BDL on AA is more expensive than flying to LGA and why AA is the only airline in the increasingly decrepit terminal but my suspicion is they assume some hardcore AA loyalists will pay a premium to fly AA to BDL but there's only enough of those folks to justify DFW-BDL on mainline and the rest on Eagle. That terminal has to be the worst in the AA system. Then again, maybe its just the contrast with the terminal that all the other airlines fly in which is very nice.
i would argue that SMF is right up there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.