Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LPB (La Paz, Bolivia) -- Hard place to get to

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
LPB (La Paz, Bolivia) -- Hard place to get to

Hi all,

I'm in planning stages for a vacation to Bolivia in Sept time frame. Options to LPB look extremely limited. On the outbound, AA has an overnighter from MIA and that's about it. Getting back to PHX looks like a 4 segment ordeal. Farecompare type websites aren't giving me any affordable options either. I thought maybe I could go through LIM and then fly TACA or LAN, but those flights are pricing out around $700.

Even at that fare, this might be the better option as it wouldn't cost me as much to upgrade (no copay) if I go into LIM.

Any regulars here that fly this route and know of any alternatives?

TIA...
Old Jun 2, 2008, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I think you might be thinking right to go through LIM. I would never pay a copAAy to upgrade on a 752. And I would try to avoid a redeye on a 752 at all costs.

Returning LPB-MIA, the aircraft has to make a stop at Santa Cruz to take on fuel (because LPB airport is so high in elevation that it cannot take off with a full load of fuel).
Old Jun 2, 2008, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I had the same problem about two months ago. i flew to cusco and out of La Paz. My routing home to Fresno was LPB-(santa cruz)-MIA-DFW-FAT. Took all day!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What's wrong with a $700 fare to a destination that's not immensely popular? This is hardly NYC-LON in terms of competition and frequency, and it is 4500 miles each way...
Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The $700 is the roundtrip fare from LIM-LPB.... an hour and a half flight on TACA or LAN.

This is on top of the $1000 fare PHX-LIM, the LIM airport taxes, the LPB airport taxes, the $100 Bolivian visa, and what appears to be a mandatory yellow fever vaccination.

The alternative is the complicated routing PHX-MIA-LPB-VVI-MIA-DFW-PHX cited earlier which rounds out at about $1200.

No wonder why it's not immensely popular.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yup:

"Effective December 1, 2007, U.S. citizens seeking to enter Bolivia as tourists must have an entry visa. Bolivian tourist visas can be applied for by mail or in person at Bolivian consulates in the U.S., as well as at Bolivian ports of entry, such as at Bolivia’s international airports and at land border crossings. Bolivian tourist visas are valid for five years from the date of issuance and allow the bearer to enter the country three times in a year for a cumulative stay of not more than ninety days. The cost of the tourist visa is $100 U.S. dollars. The $100 fee can be paid in cash, by deposit to the Bolivian Consulate’s bank account or by money order. Tourists applying for their visa upon arrival to Bolivia must pay this fee in cash to immigration authorities. In addition to the $100 fee, the applicant must present a visa application form with a 4x4 color photograph, a passport with a validity of not less than 6 months, evidence of a hotel reservation or a letter of invitation in Spanish, proof of economic solvency (credit card, cash or a current bank statement), and an International Vaccination Certificate for yellow fever."

(my emphasis)

Source:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1069.html
Old Jun 2, 2008, 11:40 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
wow, i'm surprised about the yellow fever jab being required.

glad you mentioned it though - looks like I'll be getting mine in Cartegena later this month.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Probably starting to get off topic here, but yeah, I think it's pretty strange as well, considering 95% of the tourist destinations are high elevation where there are no mosqies.

Personally, I'm thinking of just going to Peru instead of dealing w/ all of this.

You'd think the poorest country in the western hemisphere would be a little more interested in promoting tourism. I can sympathize with the Visa reciprocity issue, but there is such a thing as shooting oneself in the foot.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by kabroui
You'd think the poorest country in the western hemisphere .....
You said you are flying to Bolivia, not Haiti.

Maybe you mean Paraguay, or Honduras, Nicaragua, Dominica, Grenada, St. Vincent, nope, all poorer on per capita GDP than Bolivia......

And this appears to be less a reciprocity fee vs. them not liking the USA very much - all the documentation and such is not typical as much as meant to annoy. They have no visa or fee for Canadians, whereas Chile has one for us and US.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
If you are flying Economy, try using Kayak to check the D fares as well. I played around looking at options for LPB just last week and noticed that the difference was very low.

On the other hand, on a D/A RTW, most of the flights are Economy only *except* the MIA flight. So for my DONE4, for example, I shuffled around from originally going LIM-LPB-SCL-somewhere else to using the Miami flight to enter South America since that is a two-class flight.

Good luck... I hadn't realized the $100 visa, but that's par for the course lately. I've been spending a lot of money on visas these days.

Anyone who travels to off-the-grid places will probably have a yellow fever card anyway, since you need it for most of Africa.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:46 pm

Anyone who travels to off-the-grid places will probably have a yellow fever card anyway, since you need it for most of Africa.
I've got the yellow fever card but the injection was done over 10 yrs ago - I think that's the lifespan. I'll check CDC to see if I need to have another jab now.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by alief
I've got the yellow fever card but the injection was done over 10 yrs ago - I think that's the lifespan. I'll check CDC to see if I need to have another jab now.
Yup. It's 10 years. You'll need a new one.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Yup. It's 10 years. You'll need a new one.
Any reason I shouldn't have it done in Cartagena when I'm there?

Figure it will be cheap and easy but wouldn't know if it kept cool as needed...

I've had vaccinations in Cape Town and Bangkok - should I be any more concerned about getting one in Cartagena?

(sorry to hijack thread - tell me to start another one if that is more appropriate)
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.6 million+
Flights to La Paz are weight restricted because of the high altitude which is why AA uses a 757 and why they are overnight and land around 6am. They are usually pretty full and often seats are blocked to reduce weight. Luggage can also be pulled to control weight and sent the next day. The AA planes on the route can be old a rather dumpy. My return flight a few weeks ago had a broken toilet, broken reading lights and no audio on the right side of the plane.

The $100 visa is now good for 5 years with multiple entry. Personally I find it easier and cheaper this way since return often. The government is officially ant-American but you will feel welcome there officially and un-officially. One thing to know is English is rare so unless you speak Spanish communication can be more difficult than in most Latin countries. I do not but still manage okay working there.

Yellow fever is only prevalent in limited lowland areas which most tourist never visit. I have never been asked to show my vaccination card but with tropical diseases better safe than sorry.

It is not the easiest place to get to but if you do it I am sure you will enjoy it very much and is worth the trouble.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Originally Posted by kabroui
Hi all,

I'm in planning stages for a vacation to Bolivia in Sept time frame. Options to LPB look extremely limited. On the outbound, AA has an overnighter from MIA and that's about it. Getting back to PHX looks like a 4 segment ordeal. Farecompare type websites aren't giving me any affordable options either. I thought maybe I could go through LIM and then fly TACA or LAN, but those flights are pricing out around $700.

Even at that fare, this might be the better option as it wouldn't cost me as much to upgrade (no copay) if I go into LIM.

Any regulars here that fly this route and know of any alternatives?

TIA...
I priced out random dates in September on LAN's website and coming out at $1255 ai PHX-LPB outbound is around 16 hours and return is worse almost 24 hours. But the price is not bad.
Itinerary
From Departure Arrival Flight Cabin Baggage
Tuesday 09 september 2008 07:08 Phoenix (PHX) 14:20 Miami (MIA) AA500
Economy-L 2P
17:15 Miami (MIA) 21:45 Lima (LIM) LP515
Economy-L 2P
00:25 Lima (LIM) 03:05 La Paz (LPB) LP567
Economy-L 2P
To
Wednesday 24 september 2008 11:55 La Paz (LPB) 16:40 Santiago de Chile (SCL) LA965
Economy-L 2P
21:15 Santiago de Chile (SCL) 06:10 (Thursday) Dallas (DFW) LA5630

Operated by American Airlines Economy-L 2P
07:40 Dallas (DFW) 08:10 Phoenix (PHX) AA1123
Economy-L 2P
Sam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.