PLAT Upgrades Going the Way of the Dinosaur

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
PLAT Upgrades Going the Way of the Dinosaur

So this year I was busted back to PLAT after a couple of years of EXP. Getting upgrades this year has been very challenging indeed - Since March, I have scored 3/13 for flights that I requested upgrades. A couple of years ago, I was hitting on at least 2/3. I usually book 5 to 10 days out, flying from SJC with the majority of connections in DFW. I have made anecdotal inquiries with other PLAT's, and they concur that the upgrades have all but disappeared. I suppose this could be a result of the early request (as opposed to check-in) gets the upgrades, or the decrease in flights is forcing us elites into a smaller pool, or AA is more aggressive with Y-UP's. At least I have consistently scored exit rows... I am almost missing the tortellini.
Old May 19, 2008, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
I sure hope this is because of the routes and I wish you the best that it might change soon for you. Because this particular PLT member has been somewhat successful securing the upgrade.

The times that I miss out I've chalked up to 2 factors:
1. Buying the ticket recently and, therefore, having a late request for upgrade
and
2. Flying on EXP-heavy routes
Old May 19, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinium 1.55MM AVIS Preferred Hertz Gold Marriott Platinum
I remember back in the 1990s when golds used to be able to get upgrades

I also remember the year (because of the strike I think) that everyone automatically requalified for an additional year with elite status.

-Mike
Old May 19, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
funny enough i was gold last year and had almost 100% success, ex-Kin, ex-MIA, ex-STL in particular

even got 1J on a 777 from ORD-MIA

everything this year so far has been paid J or F, but I have a Y segment coming up so we'll see how I fare as a PLT under the new system
Old May 19, 2008, 4:01 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'm 1 for 9 this year (usually make my reservations about 6 mos in advance and request then), so my experience is similar to yours. The benefit is not having to buy so many 500-mile upgrades. And I've decided that it makes no sense to upgrade on a 757, anyway.
Old May 19, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
[QUOTE= And I've decided that it makes no sense to upgrade on a 757, anyway.[/QUOTE]

i 2nd that, i dislike the 757s. my fav is the 763 upgrades
Old May 19, 2008, 4:22 pm

Eh. I'm 12/15 this year including 5/8 transcon, and 2/2 LAX-ORD.
Old May 19, 2008, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by millions
Eh. I'm 12/15 this year including 5/8 transcon, and 2/2 LAX-ORD.
When are you booking your tix?
Old May 19, 2008, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miamigrad
2. Flying on EXP-heavy routes
After the demise of the SJC-NRT flight, I expected to see a lot more upgrade availability ex-SJC in 2008, but it has not happened. As a matter of fact, I missed out on some EXP upgrades SJC-DFW when I was enjoying the ride.
Old May 19, 2008, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
When are you booking your tix?
I've only flown 7 segments since the change over to time of upgrade request for the airport list.

Trip to SJU via MIA on 4/29-4/30 was booked/upgrades requested on 4/22; all 5 segments cleared before getting to airport list.

LAX-JFK 5/7-5/10 was booked/upgrades requested on 4/24; just missed upgrade to JFK, JFK-LAX cleared 72 hours out.
Old May 19, 2008, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by millions
I've only flown 7 segments since the change over to time of upgrade request for the airport list.

Trip to SJU via MIA on 4/29-4/30 was booked/upgrades requested on 4/22; all 5 segments cleared before getting to airport list.

LAX-JFK 5/7-5/10 was booked/upgrades requested on 4/24; just missed upgrade to JFK, JFK-LAX cleared 72 hours out.
Hmmm... not only am I having a low success rate, I think only one of my three cleared prior to the airport. Maybe the SJC flights have a very high concentration of EXP's (or Y-UP's), although I also failed to clear last week on two mid-week DFW-RDU segments. Amazingly enough, I have even seen a few empty coach seats lately.
Old May 19, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
I'm getting about 2/3 of mine and I'm gold.
Old May 19, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dfotn
I'm getting about 2/3 of mine and I'm gold.
My husband is gold, too, and gets about the same (flying from SNA or LAX). We just got upgraded both ways LAX/HNL - I was shocked that he could snag the upgrades for both of us as a "lowly" gold.
Old May 19, 2008, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HH DIAMOND, SOUTHWEST RR, HERTZ
Obviously all about the routes... but as PLAT I have cleared almost everything with the exception of one SJU-JFK w/limited availability and then a cancellation the previous night. I've also cleared JFK-LAX @ 72 hrs (this on a Friday afternoon) as well as LAX-SJU and many, many SJU-MIA, MIA-DCA and back.

I don't miss the tortellini - but do like the turkey wraps, pizzas, roast beef/panini and occasionally the dinners.

Reduced flights (and/or cancellations), EXP-heavy areas & the change in upgrade precedence (time of request) may all play into your specific situation.

On the bright side, I try to look at every non-upgrade as an opportunity I don't have to buy/earn more for the next one.

Bottom line - Upgrades are good for PLATs from San Juan, but as I'm relocating to Washington DC this summer - that may well be another story!

Sincerely, - jdburns11
Old May 19, 2008, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
This past weekend, I got 4/5, including transcon MCO-LAX.

I actually was approved for my last flight, but it was cancelled. I was confirmed onto a later flight but was #3 on the list and with a very full flight with 23 standbys waiting.

My next trip doesn't start until June 13th and I booked 4/29, so am curious to see how that pans out, including a couple 763 flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.