Search

Layover in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Layover in Chicago

Moderator: Not sure if this is a Travel Destination post or AA post -

Looking at flight itineraries to go LAX to EZE or MVD; AA offers an attractively priced flight that has an 8-hour layover in ORD.

Is that enough time to get into the city to grab lunch, go up the Hancock? tower, or something, then get back? I assumed we'd be ticketed all the way to EZE we we check-in at LAX?

I think another itinerary routes through JFK with a long layover.
Old May 16, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I think 8 hours would be fine. The blue line takes ~45 minutes max to downtown, but I am not sure about now with the construction. One of the Chicago locals would have to chime in on that.

Have fun.
Old May 16, 2008, 9:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lance6
Moderator: Not sure if this is a Travel Destination post or AA post -
As it has nothing to do with AA, but is about a specific destination, it probably belongs (and may well be moved) there.

Cheers.
Old May 16, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
I think 8 hours would be fine. The blue line takes ~45 minutes max to downtown, but I am not sure about now with the construction. One of the Chicago locals would have to chime in on that.

Have fun.
I live in Chicago and I agree with your assessment. Within an hour, you should be able to get to downtown on the blue line (even with construction). Figure about 2-3 hours for lunch and Hancock tour, and you'd still have plenty of time to return to the airport for your flight.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
and if u have at least plt status or ac member, come back, take a shower and enjoy ur flight
Old May 16, 2008, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Provided no delays, yes, it's doable. It's a 45min-1hr subway ride to downtown, and you wouldn't spend more than 1-2hr at the Hancock (unless you eat there too).
Old May 16, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by brenc3
Provided no delays, yes, it's doable. It's a 45min-1hr subway ride to downtown, and you wouldn't spend more than 1-2hr at the Hancock (unless you eat there too).
If it's a weekend, you need to allow at least 90 minutes for that subway ride to downtown-- there is construction on the line and they occasionally insert a bus ride into the middle of the trip on Saturdays and/or Sundays. But you should still have enough time to play!
Old May 16, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Love the views from the Sears Tower!
Old May 16, 2008, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Definitely do-able in a day. I've done it several times. Hop on the CTA and head downtown. Leave yourself enough time for a shower at the AC before your flight to EZE. If you are EXP, you could use the Flagship Lounge as well.
Old May 16, 2008, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1.95 MM, SPG gld
ORD Layover

I live in Chicago, and agree that you'll have plenty of time. The only problem with the Blue Line is that it comes in way west of the Hancock and Mich. Avenue. Your best bet is to take it all the way downtown, get off at Lake or Washington, and either cab it up to N. Michigan, or switch to the Red Line and get off at Chicago Avenue-- then you're only a few blocks west.
Old May 16, 2008, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
If money is not a huge concern and depending on your arrival and depature trimes, a car service is often a better opton. And yes as many have said, you have more than enough time to go into the city.

The Blue Line does not drop you within easy walking distance of anyting you'd likely want to see and has been delay ridden with construction.

Worse case, traveling to downtown ( or the reverse) via car takes about an hour and half and best case can be done in 30 minutes. All depends on time and day of week.

CTA has gone way down hill in recent years with all the budget cuts, so not an ideal option in my view any more.
Old May 17, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Be aware....we had a 3 hour + loop to airport trip on the blue line last week (after midnight) because of the construction. We were unloaded and had to take a bus between two blue line stops.

Last edited by 236Dakota; May 17, 2008 at 3:57 pm
Old May 17, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: AA PLT
I've done this before and it worked out fine. Good luck
Old May 17, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: AA PLT
Lesser known tip: There is a restaurant on the 95th floor of the Handcock with the same fantastic views as the observation deck. If you eat lunch there, you'll save yourself the observation deck fee. Admittedly though, the restaurant is rather over-priced.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:11 am
FSU

Originally Posted by Tambreet
Lesser known tip: There is a restaurant on the 95th floor of the Handcock with the same fantastic views as the observation deck. If you eat lunch there, you'll save yourself the observation deck fee. Admittedly though, the restaurant is rather over-priced.

Was just about to recommned the same thing. You get the same great views and lunch while paying only slightly more. I would suggest making a reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.