Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight cancellations on AAward - advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; SPG GLD; Hilton GLD
Flight cancellations on AAward - advice needed.

This September, I'm due to fly LHR-YVR-SFO and back SFO-YVR-LHR-MAD-OPO for my wedding and honeymoon (with my wife to be of course), all in F.
We ticketed this back in October on a combination of BA/AS/IB. Now, due to AS dropping YVR-SFO altogether, we're stuck flying YVR-SEA-SFO. This isn't much a problem on the outbound (only get in one hour later), but it is a bit on our return.
We were originally supposed to leave SF around noon, but now we've been rescheduled to depart at 9:30, connecting through SEA with the SEA-YVR leg on QX. As we're getting married in Napa and staying there the night before we leave, this poses a bit of a problem, especially given that we'll be flying out on a Monday. Furthermore, I'm a bit concerned about us and our bags making it through 4 connections on 4 different carriers.
Its now 7 months after ticketing and there aren't any Z seats available on AA. The EXP desk sent a request to revenue management to open seats on LAX-LHR, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way to approach this? Any advice is much appreciated!
Old May 15, 2008, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Try calling the EXP desk again. Since the schedule you booked no longer is available and the new itinerary does not work for you, you might prevail on an EXP agent to treat you as an "involuntary reroute" and give you revenue inventory seats.
Old May 15, 2008, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Sorry to hear that your plans are in disarray prior to such an important trip. Hang tight a bit. Having the EXP desk go to revenue management worked for us in the past. I got a call the next day and was told the seats we needed were now available and they were mine. I suspect that we got some extra consideration because we were in the situation due to the cancellation of a service route.

BTW, I tend to agree with you that the chances of your baggage showing up remotely on time after passing through the hands of 4 carriers on a single trip are not good.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Are the seats you've requested through AA revenue mangement for one of the 2 daily BA flights from SFO - LHR, or really an AA flight from LAX - LHR?

My wife and I value the AA Suite higher than BA FIRST, but most people disagree that assessment. I also wonder why you would be requesting a 2 legged trip (SFO - LAX - LHR) versus a direct nonstop...

Hope that everything works out.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
My wife and I value the AA Suite higher than BA FIRST, but most people disagree that assessment.
I think BA's service is better, but I agree that the AA suite is more comfortable than the BA seat. And to me, the seat comfort is more important than the service.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice.

We'd be fine with BA nonstop, but I assume that AA couldn't open up seats because of the US-UK restriction. Does this change with the schedule change?

We'd also happily fly back on AA as it seems to get the best of both worlds - better service for our day LHR-YVR and a better bed (and slightly longer flight for sleeping) on the return.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jkirsch
Thanks for all the advice.

We'd be fine with BA nonstop, but I assume that AA couldn't open up seats because of the US-UK restriction. Does this change with the schedule change?

We'd also happily fly back on AA as it seems to get the best of both worlds - better service for our day LHR-YVR and a better bed (and slightly longer flight for sleeping) on the return.
I doubt a schedule changes is enough to drop the BA restrictions, since there are quite a few other routings from the SF bay area to the UK.
Old May 16, 2008, 2:40 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Usually AA is very accomodating with opening seats on any of their flights. However, I have never had luck with other airlines opening seats for AA. Try to move as many flights to AA as possible.
Old May 16, 2008, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MiAAmiNice
Hang tight a bit. Having the EXP desk go to revenue management worked for us in the past. I got a call the next day and was told the seats we needed were now available and they were mine. I suspect that we got some extra consideration because we were in the situation due to the cancellation of a service route.
An update: checked my reservation on AA.com and we'd already been moved to the early LAX-LHR flight confirmed in Z ^ with an SFO-LAX connection departing at 1:30.

Will still be a long haul to OPO, but at least a lot better than before.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old Jun 4, 2008, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy

Sorry to reopen this thread.

After sorting this all out two weeks ago, Horizon shuffled and canceled flights at YVR resulting in us losing our YVR-SEA-SFO connection (in fact, no options at all to SFO after 2PM).
I called AA and this time have run into many more issues.
1) AS apparently (via the AA liaison) refuses to book us on another flight on 9/13, even the 5:45PM via LAX - despite the fact that there are seats available.

2) Instead, the earliest flight we can get on is via LAX on 9/14 with a 6 hour layover, not arriving SFO until 11PM.

3) So far, AA YM hasn't opened up seats on LHR-LAX or any other routings, though we've put in an "appeal"

I'm a bit astonished, having gone from a quick 2 hour flight YVR-SFO to a 30 hour mess. At the very least, if we don't sort out another option, I'd expect for AS or AA to cover a hotel in YVR for the night (seems to be in their contract of carriage), though it seems crazy that we can't get another option to get into SFO on the same day.

Whats the best way to handle this? I think I've gotten unlucky as the EXP desk has been of limited help!
Bummed as we were looking forward to BA F, but will consider any options at this point.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
At the very least, if we don't sort out another option, I'd expect for AS or AA to cover a hotel in YVR for the night (seems to be in their contract of carriage)
I highly doubt that this is provided for in the contract of carriage. The language regarding accommodations for forced overnights and the like is for situations that come up on the day of travel, not schedule changes that happen months in advance.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Sorry to reopen this thread.

After sorting this all out two weeks ago, Horizon shuffled and canceled flights at YVR resulting in us losing our YVR-SEA-SFO connection (in fact, no options at all to SFO after 2PM).
I called AA and this time have run into many more issues.
1) AS apparently (via the AA liaison) refuses to book us on another flight on 9/13, even the 5:45PM via LAX - despite the fact that there are seats available.

2) Instead, the earliest flight we can get on is via LAX on 9/14 with a 6 hour layover, not arriving SFO until 11PM.

Whats the best way to handle this? I think I've gotten unlucky as the EXP desk has been of limited help!
Bummed as we were looking forward to BA F, but will consider any options at this point.
The cancellation of SFO-YVR service by AS is resulting in a mess. I'm going to end up switching some of my travel to UA or AC and dropping my AS Board Room membership as a result of this decision. I can't leave YVR before 2 pm and/or take the extra connection time in SEA, PDX or LAX every time I need to go up to my favourite Canadian city.

I'm sorry it is a mess for you. Since you are using partner carriers, it is more difficult to fix things (as you have discovered). I think hoping for a reroute to LHR-LAX is the best option as AA can still get you to SFO. Your EXP status is coming in very handy right now.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
I highly doubt that this is provided for in the contract of carriage. The language regarding accommodations for forced overnights and the like is for situations that come up on the day of travel, not schedule changes that happen months in advance.
Sorry - misspoke. What I meant to say was that accomodation on any other AS flight was - at least by my interpretation of the below - and we should be able to get out of YVR in less than 24hours.

Change in Schedule: When a ticketed, confirmed passenger will be delayed because of a change in AS's schedule, Alaska will arrange to:

1. Transport the passenger over its own line to/his/her next stopover point or transfer point (without stopover), in the same or higher class of service, on an alternate AS flight at no additional charge, or
2. Refund according to Rule 260. Exception 1: When an AS schedule results in the cancellation of all AS service between two cities, AS will reroute passengers holding confirmed reservations on AS between such cities over the lines of one or more other carriers at no additional cost to the passenger. Exception 2: Change in schedule does not include force majeur events as defined in Paragraph I).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.