Wiki Posts
Search

2 segments, 1 flight number, different tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Question 2 segments, 1 flight number, different tickets

I returned last night from a 1 day trip to Houston. The return flight (IAH-DFW) was AA1035.

While I was in Houston, I learned that I might need to make an unexpected side-trip to California. I immediately placed DFW-SJC-DFW on hold, noted that I would have a somewhat tight connection (from IAH-DFW to DFW-SJC), and started planning an emergency clothes run.

In the event, I was not needed in California, so I simply canceled the registration. (Mobile site worked great for this!) It was only when I got to the gate in Houston that I realized that the DFW-SJC segment would have been on the same flight number as IAH-DFW. Based on the announcements they made as we were taxiing in at DFW, the aircraft was also the same, so I guess I needn't have worried about the connection time.

I can't help wondering how this would have posted. Obviously, the two segments would normally post as a single IAH-SJC segment, but is this the case with two separate tickets?

Anyone ever done this? How did the segments post?

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2008, 8:56 am

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
I returned last night from a 1 day trip to Houston. The return flight (IAH-DFW) was AA1035.

While I was in Houston, I learned that I might need to make an unexpected side-trip to California. I immediately placed DFW-SJC-DFW on hold, noted that I would have a somewhat tight connection (from IAH-DFW to DFW-SJC), and started planning an emergency clothes run.

In the event, I was not needed in California, so I simply canceled the registration. (Mobile site worked great for this!) It was only when I got to the gate in Houston that I realized that the DFW-SJC segment would have been on the same flight number as IAH-DFW. Based on the announcements they made as we were taxiing in at DFW, the aircraft was also the same, so I guess I needn't have worried about the connection time.

I can't help wondering how this would have posted. Obviously, the two segments would normally post as a single IAH-SJC segment, but is this the case with two separate tickets?

Anyone ever done this? How did the segments post?

Thanks!

This is referred to as a "Change of Gauge". Since you were on two diff. tkt numbers, it *should* post as two seperate flights.
Old May 7, 2008, 11:35 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
A through-flight (or direct flight) is not always the same aircraft. I've been on a flight such as SFO-LAX-DEN on the same flight number. SFO-LAX was late, so LAX-DEN went ahead and left approx. on time.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
For that matter, I was on 1274 from DEN-DFW-AUS and we had to change from one MD80 to one at an adjacent gate to continue.

I think changing planes ought to count as a segment, but I'm biased.
Old May 7, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, HH, *wood
Originally Posted by trinity_in_texas
This is referred to as a "Change of Gauge". Since you were on two diff. tkt numbers, it *should* post as two seperate flights.
actually, if the OP remains on the SAME A/C, then technically, it is not a Change of Gauge. A Change of Gauge refers to the same flight number but different aircraft, hence the change. based on the OPs comments, this would be a direct flight as SquareDanceGuy mentioned.

the two different tickets should post separately, is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.