Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you think of the proposed AA alliance with CO?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by bspencerco
CO doesn't fly to SYD
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
But they will when the 787 comes online...
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Why? They could do it now from the mainland with the 772ER right now if they wanted to...
I don't believe that's correct. Remember they need to make it from IAH or EWR, they have no interest in LAX/SFO.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Not to mention the PAX/fuel ratio of the 787 might be different. If only 1 787 worth of people want to fly IAH-SYD, putting a 772 on it would be expensive overkill.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by KD5MDK
Not to mention the PAX/fuel ratio of the 787 might be different. If only 1 787 worth of people want to fly IAH-SYD, putting a 772 on it would be expensive overkill.
CO owns the rights to fly to SYD. they used to in the 90's. HNL-SYD. not sure if they did it from IAH or LAX. CO simply has NO extra 772's to waste on the SYD route. currently they fly all of them on their most profitable (and distance required routes).

they have said in the past that they would need to fly a 744 to SYD to make any money. perhaps the 787's efficiency would make it profitable, but currently a 772 is not.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by KD5MDK
Not to mention a 772 does not have the range without substantial weight restriction nor is the route suitable for the 207 minute ETOPS limits.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dlen111
CO owns the rights to fly to SYD. they used to in the 90's. HNL-SYD. not sure if they did it from IAH or LAX. CO simply has NO extra 772's to waste on the SYD route. currently they fly all of them on their most profitable (and distance required routes).

they have said in the past that they would need to fly a 744 to SYD to make any money. perhaps the 787's efficiency would make it profitable, but currently a 772 is not.
US and Australia recently agreed on an Open-Skies agreement, so any US airline can fly to Australia from any US gateway they choose.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
As others have stated I think all in all it would be good if and only if they didn't de-value EXP. If they put the same restrictions of EXP as CO does on their PLTs, it would not be worth it for me to strive for EXP any more. I would probably attain PLT on AA and Silver or GLD on CO.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
IMHO, the AS model is the WORST possible scenario. AS strikes me as an airline wh*re who will partner with anybody they can (except UA) in order to "stick it to" UA.
I don't really see how this is a problem for AS frequent fliers. You get your choice of five different airlines to fly domestically (of which 4 earn EQMs), plus BA, Qantas, CX, LA, AF and KLM internationally (only the latter 3 earn eqms). More partners is a good thing, isn't it?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I don't believe that's correct. Remember they need to make it from IAH or EWR, they have no interest in LAX/SFO.
They *could* do it from LAX if they were so inclined and that was my point. It's not a route that absolutely necessitates the 787. CO currently operates EWR-HKG which is in the area of 15-16 hours flight time. A 772ER could most certainly do LAX-SYD.

CO simply has NO extra 772's to waste on the SYD route. currently they fly all of them on their most profitable (and distance required routes).
This is true.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
They *could* do it from LAX if they were so inclined and that was my point. It's not a route that absolutely necessitates the 787. CO currently operates EWR-HKG which is in the area of 15-16 hours flight time. A 772ER could most certainly do LAX-SYD.
And AA *could* fly CLE-LHR. What's your point?

Without any major LAX presence CO is not about to start up LAX-SYD even if they did have extra 772ER's.

CO will not fly to SYD except from IAH or EWR and therefore will not fly to SYD until the 787 comes online.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 2:59 pm

prevailing winds would make 777 service LAX-SYD problematic, no? perhaps the new LR model would be up to it.

not that this has much to do with an AA-CO alliance, since neither is likely to enter oz anytime soon.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by martin33
prevailing winds would make 777 service LAX-SYD problematic, no? perhaps the new LR model would be up to it.

not that this has much to do with an AA-CO alliance, since neither is likely to enter oz anytime soon.
Not necessarily... UA used to run 777 service LAX-AKL-LAX and LAX-MEL-LAX non-stop using their 777ER's.

- T
Old Apr 30, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, US, SPG, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by martin33

SYD-LAX service is doable with both 772ER and 773ER's. UA has done it in the past, and VA is starting 12/2008 with 773ER service from SYD-LAX with ambitions to expand to SYD-SFO and MEL-LAX/SFO as aircraft deliveries allow.

Overall I would greatly welcome CO as another OW carrier connecting NA and OZ...
Old Apr 30, 2008, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Originally Posted by JDiver
I can live with it - iirc, it would bring GUM, MNL, SYD, CNS and DPS to the AA fold
Don't forget about Hong Kong (HKG)
Old Apr 30, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
And AA *could* fly CLE-LHR. What's your point?

Without any major LAX presence CO is not about to start up LAX-SYD even if they did have extra 772ER's.

CO will not fly to SYD except from IAH or EWR and therefore will not fly to SYD until the 787 comes online.
The prescence is irrelevant. The O&D market between LAX and OZ is enough that CO could support a route with zero connecting traffic. There's a reason why QF derives some 30% of its total revenue from this route alone, and it's a very heavy O&D route.

And there's also a number of problems with routing a SYD flight through IAH or EWR - mainly because you're ignoring the entire western US. Who from the western US will be willing to backtrack 3+ hours to connect to a 16-17 hr flight? Especially with UA, QF and soon V-Australia at LAX? Hence why LAX is the perfect hub for OZ operations, it's west of everything. Being on the east coast or in the middle of the country, LAX is on the way for you. If you're on the west coast, it's even closer.

Oh and BTW, CO is rumored to be placing a decent sized 777 order shortly. A 772 operated SYD route isn't as far fetched as you think.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:46 pm

The prescence is irrelevant. The O&D market between LAX and OZ is enough that CO could support a route with zero connecting traffic. There's a reason why QF derives some 30% of its total revenue from this route alone, and it's a very heavy O&D route.

And there's also a number of problems with routing a SYD flight through IAH or EWR - mainly because you're ignoring the entire western US. Who from the western US will be willing to backtrack 3+ hours to connect to a 16-17 hr flight? Especially with UA, QF and soon V-Australia at LAX? Hence why LAX is the perfect hub for OZ operations, it's west of everything. Being on the east coast or in the middle of the country, LAX is on the way for you. If you're on the west coast, it's even closer.

Oh and BTW, CO is rumored to be placing a decent sized 777 order shortly. A 772 operated SYD route isn't as far fetched as you think.
Ignoring the west coast???
As you mention the west coast has plenty of OZ options, it's the rest of the country that doesn't.
As for LAX being on the way, maybe for AA/UA pax it is, but it isn't for CO pax.

Less than .01% of CO's flights don't originate/terminate in CLE/EWR/GUM/IAH and you're simply dreaming if you think CO is about to start LAX-SYD even if they were to pick up 2 dozen 772's tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.