Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta pressures on AA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Delta pressures on AA

My partner just flew Delta for the first time yesterday and as luck would have it, he flew on a wide body SEA to Atlanta that had gourmet food choices, in seat entertainment and, to hear him tell it, every amenity ever presented to man.

Now he want's me to start flying Delta everywhere we go. Not a chance I say I'm nearly platinum this year.

Oh the pressure, oh the humanity.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
This happened to me as well. I had to put my partner on a DL flight for less than $500 in F, when the corresponding AA flight was nearly $900 in Y. She's a heavy AA flyer (EXP/PLT/soon-to-be-EXP 2006-2008) but has been raving about how wonderful the in-flight service was, and suggesting that maybe we should fly more on DL. I'm trying to nip this in the bud right quick.

And DL now actually serves snacks for purchase in F outside of traditional meal windows! Go figure.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Obviously neither of you has a partner as well-trained* as mine.

* I can say this because mine doesn't read FT.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally Posted by vasantn
And DL now actually serves snacks for purchase in F outside of traditional meal windows! Go figure.
They charge for those now in F??? Wow!!!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Not surprised to hear. DL now generally has a superior product in Y vs. AA. They've done some major investments in new interiors, inseat entertainment etc over the last couple of years. Their buy on board product is also miles ahead of the chips and nuts I hear they sell in the back on AA. Fortunately, I'm rarely back there so AA's Y product doesn't bother me

DL's flight crews are also generally not the drill sergeant’s we've become accustomed to on AA.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:12 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by grahampros
Not surprised to hear. DL now generally has a superior product in Y vs. AA. They've done some major investments in new interiors, inseat entertainment etc over the last couple of years. Their buy on board product is also miles ahead of the chips and nuts I hear they sell in the back on AA. Fortunately, I'm rarely back there so AA's Y product doesn't bother me

DL's flight crews are also generally not the drill sergeant’s we've become accustomed to on AA.
thats funny, every time i fly other carriers in Y i feel the same way of why i am with AA. but i never seem to leave i think most of the benefits I get overshadow the entertainment/food options from other airlines
Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:37 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
DL's main drawback, from a FF point of view, is their upgrade processing. On DL, fare class counts more than status. On AA, status counts more than fare class.

I'm sticking with AA.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:45 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
DL's main drawback, from a FF point of view, is their upgrade processing. On DL, fare class counts more than status. On AA, status counts more than fare class.

I'm sticking with AA.
And upgrading in general is easier on AA than DL (though it can cost you more if not EXP). Their elite ranks are more bloated becasue of the MQM offers and the lower requirment (75K) for top teir. Numerous accounts that even as a PLT, upgrades can be hard to come by.

Like you, I stick with AA. I almost always get the upgrade and that outways a better onboard product in Y (or even F) from DL. AA "knows why I fly" and in this case they are correct. Without the ugrades, my loyalty would vanish.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:55 am

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
I am with AA becoz of the OW alliance as I do a fair bit of travel to Asia and CX is my preferred carrier to Asia.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Have you checked the Delta board? They're up in arms about the "meals" in first class. They're glowing in praise of AA's offerings.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've been with AA a while, so I think I'll stick around. Not to mention, the proposed DL-NW merger will possibly put a few sticks in the spokes of this bicycle. It's one thing to upgrade the DL widebodies, but now they will have to struggle for parity upgrading Northworst's metal. That should make for a nice money sink, not that fuel prices aren't already one - given DL and NW horrible losses for Q1 just reported. This story isn't over by a long shot.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 24, 2008 at 9:52 am Reason: add "proposed" as afterthought
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:25 am

I flew DL for the first time since 1993 to get home from NY during the S80 problems. The flight was great. I have to say that it has got me thinking seriously about switching.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by dfotn
My partner just flew Delta for the first time yesterday and as luck would have it, he flew on a wide body SEA to Atlanta that had gourmet food choices, in seat entertainment and, to hear him tell it, every amenity ever presented to man.

Now he want's me to start flying Delta everywhere we go. Not a chance I say I'm nearly platinum this year.

Oh the pressure, oh the humanity.
Funny you should post this...I just finished a Delta trip in First
and am not looking forward to flying AA again next week (fortunately Co priced itself out of trip - so no issue with coorporate police). If it wasnt for the current double bonuses there is no way I would have flown AA.

Edit to add - yesterday was the first time I was ticked off that a flight was not delayed - man, I wish we circled for atleast 30 mins. I was watching the ManU-Barca Champions League semifinal LIVE - had to get off the plane with about 30 minutes remaining.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by Abidjan
Have you checked the Delta board? They're up in arms about the "meals" in first class. They're glowing in praise of AA's offerings.
Grass is always greener
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Just be aware that DL's frequent flyer program is in for a major award chart pricing overhaul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.