Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite qualifying (extra time to qualify due to stoppages)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2008, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Elite qualifying (extra time to qualify due to stoppages)?

Do you people think AA will add another week to the year as far as qualifying for elite status since there's been so many disruptions?
Old Apr 12, 2008, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by AdaQuonsett
Do you people think AA will add another week to the year as far as qualifying for elite status since there's been so many disruptions?
It's a valid point, but I doubt it. If this had happened towards the end of the year, maybe.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Hmmm, interesting point. I suspect if there are any changes to the qualification requirements, I don't think it would be to add a week more b/c then in 2009 there would be only 51 weeks.

Rather, there could be greater leeway granted to people who come close to the minimums but don't quite make it.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
As noted, up-thread, if you're close come end-of-year you may be able to appeal based on lost travel...but I wouldn't count on it being successful unless you can prove you were impacted significantly by the past few weeks of disruptions in AA's schedule (e.g., multiple itineraries you had bought were un-flyable due to the maintenance cancellations).

Given there are roughly 8 months remaining, I think it's expecting a bit too much. Get original routing credit for any re-routes or endorsements to other carriers now, while AA is in a conciliatory and generous mood; the "honeymoon" is unlikely to last longer than a few weeks.

cheers!

Last edited by AAir_head; Apr 12, 2008 at 2:01 pm
Old Apr 12, 2008, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last time AA melted down like this was mid-February, 1999, when the APA staged a sickout over the RenoAir purchase. Pilot absences caused several thousand flight cancellations until they were ordered back to work by a judge.

To help say "we're sorry" to the customers, AA offered DOUBLE EQMs for the rest of that month, about a two week window. Hasn't done that since then.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
AA has bigger concerns

AA should worry more about customers that have switched and are never coming back. I am certain they have burned a lot of goodwill.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Why would you want to fly and acquire status on an airline that you think is going to be bankrupt?

mike
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.9 MM; HH Diamond; Bonvoy Platinum; WOH Discoverist
Originally Posted by AAir_head

Given there are roughly 8 months remaining, I think it's expecting a bit too much. Get original routing credit for any re-routes or endorsements to other carriers now, while AA is in a conciliatory and generous mood; the "honeymoon" is unlikely to last longer than a few weeks.

cheers!
Exactly. One of the things I have learned on FT is to just call or write AAdvantage customer service if I have a concern...they're usually very reasonable. I lost two AA EQS on an involuntary reroute through United this week; instead of fretting about it (my normal tendency), I emailed and asked if I could receive the two EQS which would have resulted from travel on AA. As suggested in other AA threads, I used the phrase involuntary reroute. Less than two hours after I wrote the email, I was notified I would receive the original EQM and EQS. Plus, I got one segment in my Mileage Plus account for the United flight.^

So, if the OP was rerouted or bagged a trip due to cancellation, he should be able to get the miles/segments. In the current circumstances I can't believe AA would make any fuss about it, at least for the next few weeks.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 5:33 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by AA53
AA should worry more about customers that have switched and are never coming back. I am certain they have burned a lot of goodwill.
I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of promotion for FF's to help repair the damage done by this fiasco. Especially for FF's in markets where AA doesn't have a lock and they could easily move their business to like (oh I don't know like UA at ORD, or DL at JFK, or UA or DL at LAX etc).
Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
what was the practice in 2001 with the stoppage after 9/11; I don't believe AA gave any ground did they?
Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
what was the practice in 2001 with the stoppage after 9/11; I don't believe AA gave any ground did they?
AA (as did some other airlines) simply extended everyone's status by one year (expired 2/28/03 instead of the expected 2/28/02).
Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Really not a valid point. A few days here or there is not a reason to extend it.

And, if you fly that much that these last few days make a difference to you, then you will requalify for EXP by May anyways...
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Methinks you have a very short memory.
Yes, I was just searching for the same post that I believe you are referring to, and couldn't find it.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ndhapple
I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of promotion for FF's to help repair the damage done by this fiasco. Especially for FF's in markets where AA doesn't have a lock and they could easily move their business to like (oh I don't know like UA at ORD, or DL at JFK, or UA or DL at LAX etc).
There is a lot of buzz about companies reducing travel...much is unnecessary and the lost time/money from this travel is huge. Big corporations are using HALO rooms and other technology in lieu of travel. This debacle could be a catalyst.

The mass apology sent by email last night from AA was sad. This company is lost.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The last time AA melted down like this was mid-February, 1999, when the APA staged a sickout over the RenoAir purchase. Pilot absences caused several thousand flight cancellations until they were ordered back to work by a judge.

To help say "we're sorry" to the customers, AA offered DOUBLE EQMs for the rest of that month, about a two week window. Hasn't done that since then.
Are you sure about that? I first made GLD in the post-9/11 part of 2001, and I could have sworn that double EQMs was the carrot that got me there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.