Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

American Airlines flight attendants honored for life-saving efforts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines flight attendants honored for life-saving efforts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Thumbs up American Airlines flight attendants honored for life-saving efforts

American Airlines honored 19 of its flight attendants this afternoon for administering life-saving medical attention using onboard defibrillators.

The so-called "Golden Heart" awardees were honored at a private ceremony at the C.R. Smith Museum in Fort Worth.

According to the airline, 82 people have been saved since American installed defibrillators on its aircraft in 1997.

"Our flight attendants are the best trained in the industry, and their outstanding efforts during medical emergencies are further evidence of the meaningful ways in which they touch passengers' lives every day," said Lauri Curtis, American's Vice President - Onboard Service.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...t-atten-2.html
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:01 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
Great, but, how do they define "saved"? For example in both of the stories mentioned in the article they just state the person was transported to the hospital. Even if a pulse was restored, was the patient ever discharged from the hospital? Is there quality of life?

Not trying to rake mud but these are issues of significant interest. Defib save rates on the street are quoted as anything from 1% to 10% but the question that must be asked is, are we congratulating ourselves for a save when we restore a pulse in a pt. who remains brain dead and can never regain a normal life? Or is the person actually released from the hospital and goes on to live some years?

I congratulate them on their saves and I don't claim that nothing is accomplished. Defibrillators do indeed "work". I just wish these fluff pieces would have some real detail.

PS I am especially curious about the efficacy of bystander CPR and defibrillation where there is a prolonged delay before delivery of ACLS.

Last edited by pbz; Apr 2, 2008 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1.95 MM, SPG gld
I think that the "real detail" pertaining to the efficacy of bystander CPR, etc., would more likely be published in a medical journal than in an AA press release.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
I have had two co-workers use the AED's.... in one case the family of the passenger kept AA in the loop regarding his outcome and they even arranged for the passenger to have lunch with the crew the following year (everyone cried the whole time).

The second co-worker's "victim" was taken to the hospital, but the family never followed up with AA and she never found out if they lived or died. It is the family's decision.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by SMTORD
I think that the "real detail" pertaining to the efficacy of bystander CPR, etc., would more likely be published in a medical journal than in an AA press release.
Yes, that's a very good point.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
i think thats awesome! however they define it, i hope they lived because of some sort of effort of these FA's.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Kudos to both the FAs, the airlines and whoever mandated that airlines carry defibrillators and oxygen.

Recognition for life-saving people! ^
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Yes, and perhaps better debated there than on FT.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Kudos to both the FAs, the airlines and whoever mandated that airlines carry defibrillators and oxygen.
The FAA mandated defibrillators for all U.S. carriers for both domestic and international flights. They were required to be installed by 2004.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:24 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
What this whole thread does not mention, however, what I think is the most noteworthy. Linda Lutz-Rollow, one of the FA's being awarded the Golden Heart Award refused the award and instead went into a long tirade and speech about how AA planes are unsafe. AA called her comments "rude, inappropriate, and out of line" after she finally gave the microphone back to them. I've actually seen her before, but something tells me she won't be with the airline too much longer.

Source: KNBC Channel 4 Los Angeles, 11 PM newscast tonight.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:12 am

I watched this last night.

Not only was her tirade out of line but factually incorrect since she hasn't even been on a plane for over 2 years according to AA.

She reminded me of the dang musicians and Hollywood types who use their concerts or award ceremonies as a soap box for their personal agendas
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:51 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
It is true but unfortunate. I think people should know the hard facts. Baywatch convinced a generation of people that all they have to do is push on someone's chest a few times and they suddenly sit up, spit out the water, and go on with their lives. You know how much effort it takes to reverse misinformation like that?

The same thing happens with a press release like this. If your heart stops, a defibrillator is not a magic machine that always brings you back. Even if it's applied within 30 seconds or a minute. More often than not, when people die, they stay dead. Articles that gloss over the technical details lead to spurious claims and public impressions of product failure anytime a defibrillator does not advise a shock or the shock fails to convert the rhythm and regain a pulse.

/pbz
Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:37 pm

Deleted..

Last edited by jrhone; Apr 3, 2008 at 4:38 pm Reason: TOS violation without a doubt
Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyt
What this whole thread does not mention, however, what I think is the most noteworthy. Linda Lutz-Rollow, one of the FA's being awarded the Golden Heart Award refused the award and instead went into a long tirade and speech about how AA planes are unsafe. AA called her comments "rude, inappropriate, and out of line" after she finally gave the microphone back to them. I've actually seen her before, but something tells me she won't be with the airline too much longer.

Source: KNBC Channel 4 Los Angeles, 11 PM newscast tonight.
I watched that, and can only speculate as to the reasons she hasnt flown for two years. Some kind of dependancy problem was my first thought.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by jrhone
I watched that, and can only speculate as to the reasons she hasnt flown for two years. Some kind of dependancy problem was my first thought.
I saw an interview with her today and have to say I was speculating in the same direction. Very strange, imo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.