Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Passenger dies on AA flight Feb 22; family claims lack of oxygen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger dies on AA flight Feb 22; family claims lack of oxygen

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:29 am

Sorry to chime in late, but given the gamut of reactions in this thread, let me preface my comments by saying that I am a board certified emergency physician with 15+ years clinical experience and have responded to a number of in-flight emergencies over the years.

We don't know what really happened in this particular case, but I'd like to address some of the issues brought up.

Resuscitation in general:

There comes a point in a resucitation when efforts become futile. We don't know how long the resusciation effort took, but if you have patient with no palpable pulse, no blood pressure, no spontaneous respiration, no functional cardiac rhythm and no response to rescitation efforts, then there comes the point when any continued efforts are medically futile.

As painful as it may be for the family, sometimes you just have to stop.

Pronouncing patients dead:

I've done this hundreds of times - in the field, in private residences, at the hospital and in an ambulance - and it always depends on where you are and what the circumstances are.

Example 1: Man with known heart disease collapses on a plane. After 30 minutes of CPR, AED, resuscitation drugs (depending on the airline kit), etc. there is no response, and the physician on board pronounces him. Reasonable? Yes.

Example 2: Child falls into icy pond and is dragged out after ten minutes. No pulse or breathing so bystander CPR is started. 20 minutes until EMS unit arrives and another 15 to get him to the hospital. Still no response to resucitation efforts. Stop and pronounce him? No, because the child is hypothermic and in this situation, this child has a chance for survival.

If they tried to resuscitate this woman and could not despite their best efforts, and she showed no response to those efforts, then after whatever time deemed medically appropriate given the patient's condition and the surrounding circumstances, declaring her dead is a reasonable option.

About Good Samaritan laws:

The Aviation Medical Assistance Act of 1998 gives protection for those responding to in-flight emergencies, but sadly, anybody can sue anybody. My conscience dictates that I will always try to help out in an emergency. If someone decides to sue, I can't stop them, and it'll take time and effort to get it dismissed, but at least I'll be able to sleep at night knowing I did the right thing.

This mostly reiterating what others have already posted, but I just wanted to put in my perspective from an emergency medicine standpoint.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by DriveByDoc
...but at least I'll be able to sleep at night knowing I did the right thing.
^^
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Free Agent
Originally Posted by aajones
Originally Posted by pbz "This thinking is not in accordance with the current rules in prehospital emergency care."

I echo the previous query: what exactly are your qualifications to comment on this?
Not pbz, but as a NR EMT for 20 years, this is has been the standard of US prehospital care both in the National Registry Curriculum and the protocols of both states in which I work and have worked for over 10 years.

Never thought my first FT posting would be this....
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Originally Posted by fanch26
Not pbz, but as a NR EMT for 20 years, this is has been the standard of US prehospital care both in the National Registry Curriculum and the protocols of both states in which I work and have worked for over 10 years.

Never thought my first FT posting would be this....
Protocols can be wrong.I repeat if a patient has high carbon dioxide levels in their bloodstream chronically then uncontrolled oxygen therapy can kill them.
There used to be a protocol to give 100% oxygen to premature babies until someone realised it caused blindness.Oxygen is not benign.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Free Agent
Originally Posted by drron
uncontrolled oxygen therapy can kill them.
Technically, it can knock out their hypoxic drive, which if left untreated could kill them. The Prehospital treatment, should this occur, is to provide positive ventilation (Bag ''em) on O2. The hypoxic drive is restored by in-hospital respiratory therapy.

The reason behind the US prehospital protocol change is that the old Deny-O2-to-COPD protocol was killing patients by hypoxia, which was not reversible by any therapy.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:25 pm

This thread needs to be put into the AAMD section. The relevance to AA has become tenuous in the last 2-3 pages.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by secretsea18
IF this family files a lawsuit against the medical professionals who volunteered to assist this emergency, I, (a board certified otolaryngologist who has responded to at least 10 onboard medical emergencies), will have a difficult dilemma on the next flight I am on with an onboard medical emergency.

Try to help and possibly save a life, or expose yourself to getting sued. Hmmm....
Carry a waiver with you and have the ill person or family member sign it before you help ....
Old Feb 27, 2008, 5:52 pm
Suspended

pbz this statement of yours alarms me.Every day somewhere in the world someone is harmed in the back of an ambulance by the indiscriminate use of oxygen for a patient with dyspnoea.Patients with COPD who have chronic retention of carbon dioxide can be killed or subject to more invasive therapy such as intubation if given uncontrolled oxygen therapy.Giving oxygen to these people removes the only stimulus to respiration these people have.So ex-smokers who are obese are particularly prone to this.They simply stop breathing.
Although I was taught this at medical school nearly 40 years ago it is still unfortunately knowledge that is forgotten.The problem is if it happens it is too easy to say the disease was too advanced and everything was done properly
Complete horse$hit when used for short term treatment and extremely rare for long term use. Very few COPD pts have become true hypoxic breathers. The same is true for DKA and the use of oxygen causing harm. Both are outdated and not supported by any peer review studies in the last 5 years.

It's forgotten knowledge because it was flawed treatment (or more accurately, failure to treat) that resulted in many deaths from the withholding of oxygen.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Gold, WN A-List, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by pbz
Oxygen is the first drug any paramedic applies in a chest pain or dyspnea scenario...
pbz this statement of yours alarms me.Every day somewhere in the world someone is harmed in the back of an ambulance by the indiscriminate use of oxygen...
Originally Posted by pbz
Rule 1 for over 10 years now in the prehospital setting has been "never withhold oxygen"... I'm not sure where you got COPD from as I have not seen that anywhere...
Originally Posted by fanch26
...NR EMT for 20 years, this is has been the standard of US prehospital care...
I've been an EMT for nearly 15 years (state cert. EMT-A, state cert. EMT-B, and NREMT-B over the years), and currently work in medical research focused specifically on COPD.

The risks drron mentions aren't news to me. I learned about them in my first EMT class, and they have come up in refresher and continuing ed courses more recently. As pbz and fanch26 pointed out, though, EMS protocols almost never allow withholding oxygen based on a history of COPD since much of the literature suggests that the risk of too little oxygen outweighs the risk of too much of it (easier to artificially ventilate than it is to repair oxygen-starved cells).

I found an article in the American Journal of Emergency Medicine (Volume 15, Issue 7, November 1997, Pages 648-651). The study "examined whether emergency medical technicians withhold oxygen from hypothetical patients whom emergency physicians would treat with high-flow oxygen, particularly COPD patients."

Here's what the investigators found:

The results of this study indicate that EMTs are not likely to withold oxygen, or administer low-flow oxygen, to patients whom emergency physicians would treat with high-flow oxygen. Indeed, it was the physicians who were less likely to administer high-flow oxygen. This may raise the concern that EMTs are giving too much oxygen to some patients. However, at least 50% of the physicians participating in the study would have administered high-flow oxygen in all of the cases that were consistent with COPD.
Just to try to bring this back to the matter at hand... unless I've missed a major release of info, all we know about what happened with the oxygen tanks on that flight come from AA (who says they were used and they provided oxygen), and the patient's family member (who says they were used and they were empty).

Ok, I now realize just how off-topic this was. My apologies... I'm off to post about AAdvantage upgrades in another threat to redeem myself.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hmmm. Law, Oxygen, medical infromation... very little that is AA travel- or miles- related

I'm a certified Rescue Diver, Medic / First Aid and Oxygen Provider - and a Moderator. This thread will now take a well-deserved breather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.