Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

UPGRADES: “Waitlisted” “Cleared” “Confirmed” “Pulled” “ …Scammed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UPGRADES: “Waitlisted” “Cleared” “Confirmed” “Pulled” “ …Scammed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Blumie
I still don't get it. Is it just me?
I *think* the doooooooo doooo doooo may have been an attempt toward dramatic effect, something like a soundtrack would add in a film?
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog
Craglist for whatever city you want to deal in
Who is crag? Is he a relative of Craig?

Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
I am Plat who purchased a VIP upgrade from someone (X) on Ebay. I was waitlisted for the upgrade and contacted X when availability opened up. I called the ExPlat desk and “confirmed” that X had applied the upgrade, and it had “cleared.” Also noted that I was in "C" when I looked at my reservation on the AA Web Site. I then purchased two additional upgrades from the same person. Same thing happened, I was waitlisted, and subsequently cleared. A week later I received a call from AA that the X’s account has been frozen, and my upgrades are being revoked. Long story short, even though AA tells you that an upgrade has cleared and is confirmed, it then goes in a queue, and might not get “pulled” from a ExPlat account for 5 to 10 days later, and if at the time AA tries to pull the upgrade, and X has 0 remaining, or if there is a problem with that person’s account, you are out of luck.

In this case my original upgrade did get "pulled" and is still valid, and I am still waiting to get the other upgrades resolved with X. Coincidentally, X’s Ebay account has been suspended as well, so I think it is likely that I may have been scammed.

Safeflyer

PS: No need for the "you deserve it" replies, for trying to purchase the upgrades. I fully accept responsibility, and I’m not crying about it, I just thought the situation was interesting. Actualy, I am , but it could be worse.

PPS: This was a very confusing situation for me, and required several calls to the ExPlat desk. There was a noticeable difference in “friendliness” and understanding, depending on which agent answered the phone. I guess that’s true to a degree everywhere, but the disparity between some folks at the desk was stark.
If only this would happen to those who sell the VIPs here on FT it would be a much better place.

You BOTH deserve what you got.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:25 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Occasionally AA will let elites overdraw their account by slight amounts. Say an EXP has 89,400 miles and needs a 90K ticket. AA can see the account already has 4 trips planned/paid for in the next 6 weeks so lets the customer redeem the award knowing that the miles will soon be in the account.
There is no need to be EXP or to have additional travel booked. As a Platinum AAdvantage member, I was able to "overdraw" for an AAward (about 250 miles in my case) when I had no additional reservations in the system. In fact I did not earn those 250 miles needed to get my account back into the black for another 4 or 5 months. I redeemed 105K miles for an award when I have 104,750 miles in my account. No problem at all, no asking or prompting of the agent was required. I was going to cash-in some 500-mile upgrades to cover the extra 250 miles, but the agent said there was no need as a Plat member is allowed to overdraw to a small negative balance.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
I still don't get it. Is it just me?
I believe it's an attempt at a game show buzzer sound like in: "Dooo doo doo, but thank you for playing."
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Update: X reports that his account did inadvertently go into a negative balance and he is trying to resolve the issue. ...

This was reiterated to me by a different agent this morning:
An upgrade can be processed and a ticket reissued with or without an attached certificate number by an agent; however, there must by an upgrade certificate number in the reservation for the upgrade to be deducted from X’s account and this has to be “settled” somehow. The upgrade might not get deducted from X’s account until sometime in the future, as much as 5-7 days later, so at that time, when the system looks for an upgrade certificate number to apply, if there is one available, then there is no issue; however, if there is not one available, or if X’s account is frozen for some reason, AA will cancel the upgrade, unless the traveler can apply an upgrade certificate number from another person’s account or use miles + co-pay instead of the VIP certificate. This sometimes happens even after the traveler has flown, in which case AA must re-coup the upgrade through a future VIP certificate, or a mile +co-pay, after the flight.

BRP, Do you still think the above is incorrect? I am not sure what to believe anymore, but this has been quite a learning experience.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: X reports that his account did inadvertently go into a negative balance and he is trying to resolve the issue. ..
Do you still think the above is incorrect? I am not sure what to believe anymore, but this has been quite a learning experience.
Whether the mileage account balance was negative or not is not relevant. X clearly and knowingly violated the AA rules by selling the eVIPs on eBay. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:56 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I am not sure what to believe anymore ...
For starters, believe that people who buy and sell awards will eventually get caught.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
For starters, believe that people who buy and sell awards will eventually get caught.
Indeed!

Out of curiosity, I just typed in AAdvantage on eBay - and it is remarkable the # of people selling miles and at least one selling eVIPs. I really can't believe people risk it.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
This was reiterated to me by a different agent this morning:
An upgrade can be processed and a ticket reissued with or without an attached certificate number by an agent; however, there must by an upgrade certificate number in the reservation for the upgrade to be deducted from X’s account and this has to be “settled” somehow.
Others here are much more familiar with the system than I, but I don't believe that is correct. It's been my experience that an eVIP can/will not be processed without a certificate number attached at the time.

This sometimes happens even after the traveler has flown, in which case AA must re-coup the upgrade through a future VIP certificate, or a mile +co-pay, after the flight.
I've never heard of that either. I really don't think you are getting the whole story, neither from the seller nor from AA.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:38 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
BRP, Do you still think the above is incorrect? I am not sure what to believe anymore, but this has been quite a learning experience.
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Others here are much more familiar with the system than I, but I don't believe that is correct. It's been my experience that an eVIP can/will not be processed without a certificate number attached at the time.
Well, I certainly can't say that I know for a fact that this is the case, but I've been told on a number of occasions that the eVIP number (each individual eVIP has its own number) is attached to the reservation even for waitlisting. This, effectively, ties up the eVIP so that it can't, for example, also be tied to another reservation.

It is possible that, even though the number is tied, the eVIP is not "pulled" (whatever that means in this context) until later. Since it has to be valid (one assumes) when the number is tied, and can't be used elsewhere, the only thing I can see happening is what happened to you (and X) where the account goes invalid and a previously good eVIP just disappears.

So, this is an odd scenario, and the events could be accurate. They just wouldn't matter in all "normal" cases.

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by brp
Well, I certainly can't say that I know for a fact that this is the case, but I've been told on a number of occasions that the eVIP number (each individual eVIP has its own number) is attached to the reservation even for waitlisting. This, effectively, ties up the eVIP so that it can't, for example, also be tied to another reservation.
Yes, I think you stated it more clearly than I did above, but that's exactly what I have been told any number of times.

Conversely, never have I been told that (when an eVIP has cleared) they'll wait to pull/assign a number later.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:10 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Conversely, never have I been told that (when an eVIP has cleared) they'll wait to pull/assign a number later.
I don't think that the number is assigned later, even in this case. What may be happening is that the number is assigned immediately, but that there are additional steps to actually "pulling" the eVIP. I always thought of this as the same action, but they could be different, and it would only matter if the assigned, numbered eVIP somehow went away in the interim.

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by brp
I don't think that the number is assigned later, even in this case. What may be happening is that the number is assigned immediately, but that there are additional steps to actually "pulling" the eVIP. I always thought of this as the same action, but they could be different, and it would only matter if the assigned, numbered eVIP somehow went away in the interim.
I agree. That's why I don't understand this statement:

An upgrade can be processed and a ticket reissued with or without an attached certificate number by an agent; .
I have never heard of an eVIP being processed (whatever that means) without a number attached from the very beginning. I would be most interested to know if that is indeed possible because this is the first and only time I recall such a claim.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:28 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
X reports that his account did inadvertently go into a negative balance [...]
[...] I am not sure what to believe anymore, but this has been quite a learning experience.
I'd certainly be suspicious of X's claim that his account "inadvertently" went negative. Even if we accept that he didn't intend to sell or apply more eVIPs than he had, the problems arose in the course of his attempts to do things that clearly contravene AA rules.

he is trying to resolve the issue.
It's up to you, of course, but if you're concerned about the health of your relationship with AA then it might be best to limit your future dealings with X to attempts to get your money back, in other words to cooperate with AA's attempts to "resolve the issue" rather than with X's.

The best you can hope for is your money back, although I wouldn't hold my breath. The upgrades are not going to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.