Wiki Posts
Search

Plastic wrap at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:36 pm
jji
Original Poster

Plastic wrap at JFK

There used to be a luggage plastic wrap service in the old terminal 8. Is this still available in the new terminal?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I didn't see it when I was there in December, but I went straight to the FC check in area, so I didn't really look around. It's not by the FC check in area, at least.

/cp
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
I haven't seen the wrap service since they closed the old terminal. (not to say it's not available, I just haven't seen it)

btw OT: They have started to tear down bits of the old terminal....^
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I spent a couple of hours wandering around the new terminal towards the end of last year and didn't see anything either
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I haven't seen it either and I spent a long time wandering around the terminal 3 weeks ago.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
not only have I not seen it but I wonder what good it is.. If TSA can go thru the luggage anyway don't they just take it off.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 2:56 pm
jji
Original Poster

Thanks, I haven't seen it either, but like the rest I haven't exactly looked. Planning on taking a folding bike on my next trip and the plastic would be a decent way to keep all the bits together (and keep its size small enough to avoid the bike fee). Before I have taken it on Eagle, but then I just take it through security (it fits on the x-ray belt) and gate-check it.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
btw OT: They have started to tear down bits of the old terminal....^

Hopefully they won't destroy the glass mural??? Or are they still going with the keychain idea?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Hopefully they won't destroy the glass mural??? Or are they still going with the keychain idea?
Keychains or not-to not dismantle that mural and find a new home for it is a shame-it is a JFK landmark just like the Saarinen TWA terminal.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by pgppetch
Keychains or not-to not dismantle that mural and find a new home for it is a shame-it is a JFK landmark just like the Saarinen TWA terminal.
And perhaps equally disfunctional.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
And perhaps equally disfunctional.
The mural is disfunctional?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
interesting read here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/23/ny...ty/23glas.html

When American Airlines Terminal 8 opened in 1960 at what was then New York International Airport at Idlewild, its most striking feature was the great stained-glass facade. The structure, made of red, sapphire and white glass tiles, wasn’t just public art; it also allowed light into the terminal, while keeping those inside from broiling in the south-facing building.

But next May, the 317-foot-by-23-foot translucent wall will come down. American Airlines is razing Terminal 8 as part of a $1.1 billion expansion that will create one terminal to serve all its customers at John F. Kennedy International Airport. “The cathedral,” as the abstract mosaic has sometimes been called, will vanish..........

and

........... “They should preserve it,” said Craig Kozan, a supervisor, who said the artwork reminded him of a calmer time in air travel.

But John Farrell, another pilot, said: “In this age, you can’t afford too much sentimentality. There are razor-thin margins in this business, and I don’t think anybody ever buys a ticket because American Airlines has a very nice stained window. ”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.