Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan Airlines Coach vs AA Coach from NRT: which is best?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Japan Airlines Coach vs AA Coach from NRT: which is best?

Hi all,

Main question: how much hassle/$ is JAL economy worth over AA economy from NRT?

I am looking at booking an award return from NRT. I had NRT-DFW-SEA which got me in at 2pm, but Japan Airlines opened some seats NRT-SFO, so I jumped on that - but the first Alaska flight from SFO doesn't get in until 11pm.

I am contemplating buying 2 one way tickets SFO-SEA on the 12 noon flight (~$250 right now), but hoping that something comes available between now and then (even a connection through Portland) - if so I would lose $100 of the one way ticket values (basically an insurance policy). I will have done an overnight flight from another destination in Asia, a 12 hour layover in Tokyo (gonna go into the city), and then getting on the flight to the US - so comfort is key (for economy) and I do not want to do another layover in the states.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Not sure I understand your question. What is your AA alternative? If SEA is your origination/destination you might try JAL direct into Vancouver and make your way to/from SEA by land.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

YVR is not an option unfortunately...right now it is just SFO..

Basically I am interested in the quality of the JAL coach product versus AA for such a long flight...whether its worth [potentially] paying $100-$250 in order to get back to SEA at a reasonable time
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Starwood Gold
How tall are you and do you have status with either airline? JAL's IFE is vastly superior but you'll have less legroom, especially if you have AA status and can get a row 31 seat on the 777.

JAL's food is also is also head and shoulders above AA's.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:31 pm

IFE is better on JAL, but I prefer AA because it has power ports, so I can use my laptop to watch DVDs.

In Y, I never noticed a major difference in food between JAL and AA. JAL usually gives you ice cream, but I actually kind of like AA's mini pizza before landing in NRT.

JAL flies a 747 on that route which is 3-4-3 across in coach. AA is a 777, 2-5-2. At least if you're on one of the sides in AA, there's no middle seat issues.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:52 pm

Free liquor on board with JAL.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by AlexS
IFE is better on JAL, but I prefer AA because it has power ports, so I can use my laptop to watch DVDs.

In Y, I never noticed a major difference in food between JAL and AA. JAL usually gives you ice cream, but I actually kind of like AA's mini pizza before landing in NRT.

JAL flies a 747 on that route which is 3-4-3 across in coach. AA is a 777, 2-5-2. At least if you're on one of the sides in AA, there's no middle seat issues.
As far as the food issue goes, I may be biased because I love JAL's snack mix. Love it. Would order it by the ton if I could. The service is also more attentive with JAL; even in coach, they're coming by with another beer or soda as soon as you're finished with your current one. So, overall, I give JAL a big edge in overall food/beverage enjoyment but perhaps there isn't a huge gap in the quality of their entrees.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dan5000
As far as the food issue goes, I may be biased because I love JAL's snack mix. Love it. Would order it by the ton if I could.
You're absolutely right--JAL does have excellent snack mixes. I don't recall which one they serve on board international flights, but their snack mix in the domestic Japan lounges (my favorite), international Japan lounges, and lounges outside Japan are all great. And yes, they're all different!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by AlexS
You're absolutely right--JAL does have excellent snack mixes. I don't recall which one they serve on board international flights, but their snack mix in the domestic Japan lounges (my favorite), international Japan lounges, and lounges outside Japan are all great. And yes, they're all different!
I've only been to JAL's J lounge in Narita and didn't have any snacks so this is huge news to me. I may have to arrange a trip to Tokyo just to try all the different snack mixes. Thank you, Alex!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 7:24 pm

I'd book the JL to SFO, and the late flight to SEA; you very well could standby for an earlier flight.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
hard product: AA
soft prodcut: JAL
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Definitely go with JAL: let's not forget the Sky Time Yuzu
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JL includes 2 x 32 kilograms (70 pounds) of baggage allowance vs. AA's 2 x 50 pounds. Not sure how long you're gone for, what you need to pack, what you want to bring to associates, family and friends, or whether you'd rather carry one bag over 50lbs vs. two bags each under 50 lbs, but you could save up to $200 in AA luggage fines by choosing JL.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:01 pm

I find that JL keep their cabins too warm, and that their pitch in Y is too narrow. AA does charge for booze in Y, but I have no objection to that, and AA does have a far wider selection of drinks. Haven't found JL's English language IFE to be any better than AA's. I prefer AA.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 6:15 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by Spounce
AA does charge for booze in Y, but I have no objection to that
Really? Usually when I'm offered a choice between free booze and "pay-as-you-go" booze, I opt for the free booze! But that's just me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.