Community
Wiki Posts
Search

can you cancel award flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
can you cancel award flights?

Sort of a trick question, because of course you can cancel your flight simply by not going. The real questions, what are the rules for gettign my points back?

I'm trying to plan family vacation and ma being torn between the dual priorities of booking early to find award seats (to SCL) and booking late in order to have all required information.

Sorry for the n00b question and appreciativew of all help.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Once you claim an AAward, you have one year from the ORIGINAL DATE OF ISSUANCE to use it. As long as the routing does not change, you can changes dates and times as much as you want. But travel MUST be completed within one year of the original date of ISSUANCE, NOT the original date of travel. It's an important distinction.

If you prefer to cancel the ticket, you will need to pay the $100 "redeposit" fee. Nobody is exempt, not even EXPs.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Since this is a long flight the redeposit fee may be worth it. Is it per ticket or per booking? (I'm trying to book 3 tix to SCL for thanksgiving.)
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Many alleged mysteries are addressed quite directly in aa.com.

Please see 'Reinstating awards' for the details of redeposit fees.

http://www.aa.com/content/AAdvantage...dDetails.jhtml
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by lessthanzero
Is it per ticket or per booking?
It's per account. The link provided in post #4 will take you directly to the page on aa.com with the answers to your questions.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by lessthanzero
Is it per ticket or per booking?
It's per account. The link provided in post #4 will take you directly to the page on aa.com with info on mileage awards.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
When requesting a reinstatement, a $100 USD processing fee will be charged per account for the first award. Any additional awards reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 USD per award add-on fee.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:00 am
Original Poster

thanks all! this is very helpful.

And to 3Cforme, thank you for also showing me where on their website I could find this information.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:22 pm

Related question, if you cancel an award flight, does the taxes paid get refunded to you (less the $100 reinstatement fee)? On some international flights, the taxes, security fees, etc. can run well over $100 per ticket.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyAA
Related question, if you cancel an award flight, does the taxes paid get refunded to you (less the $100 reinstatement fee)? On some international flights, the taxes, security fees, etc. can run well over $100 per ticket.
Good Question! Anyone?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by AndyAA
I have had taxes and fees refunded when cancelling an award ticket.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:09 pm

Location: Based in London but away ~4 months a year, often in Bali
Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ESpen36
If you prefer to cancel the ticket, you will need to pay the $100 "redeposit" fee. Nobody is exempt, not even EXPs.
If I'm not mistaken, I heard that some have *sometimes* found the fee waived when they are redepositing in order to then, with good reason, immediately make another similar booking. E.g. you *might* get lucky if upgrading from business class to first class in order to get seat availability on a date change.

Certainly not something to rely on, and I've not done this myself. But I'd ask politely about it if I wound up booking 10 months before a flight and some months later needed to shift the return to a modest amount after the 1 year mark.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manar
If I'm not mistaken, I heard that some have *sometimes* found the fee waived when they are redepositing in order to then, with good reason, immediately make another similar booking. E.g. you *might* get lucky if upgrading from business class to first class in order to get seat availability on a date change.

Certainly not something to rely on, and I've not done this myself. But I'd ask politely about it if I wound up booking 10 months before a flight and some months later needed to shift the return to a modest amount after the 1 year mark.
There used to be language on AA.com that specifically exempted an award "upgrade" (i.e., change from a coach to first class award) from re-deposit fees. The language was removed some time in the last year or two.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by lhj1723
I have had taxes and fees refunded when cancelling an award ticket.
That makes sense, but I cancelled an AA/QF J ticket and *didn't* get them back.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP-2MM, AC
Originally Posted by ESpen36
As long as the routing does not change, you can changes dates and times as much as you want.
That's for a MileSAAver award. For an AAnytime award, you can change the origin, destination and routing too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.