Search

Gold and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood
Gold and upgrades

Hi AA newbie question here --

I reached gold just in the nick of time last year (thanks to tips from this forum) and am flying next week as an AA elite member for the first time. (yay!)

Two questions:

1. Should I bother buying a few 500-mile upgrades? How often do golds actually get upgraded? (The flight is JFK-CUN and CUN-DFW.) I submitted the request electronically when I booked online, but am wondering what my chances are and if it's worth the gamble to buy them in advance now.

2. Is there anything I can do to up my chances of getting upgraded? Like I said, I submitted the request electronically when ticketing --

But other than checking again at the gate (in the event I'm denied earlier), is there something I can do / calls to make?

Thanks so much. I love this forum.

Brigitte
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:39 am

Programs: AA/CO/UA Marriott
It will be impossible to get an upgrade. When I was Gold my success rate was about 2%. However, you odds may be better flying to CUN rather than LAX or SFO. I wouldn't buy upgrades... but that's just my opinion.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
I wouldn't be so sure about not being able to get UG'ed to CUN. Leaving that aside, coming from other posts... your chances are best within your group based on check in time. So if you're the first one checked-in in GLD with an upgrade request, it's about as best you can do. Still all the EXP and PLT requesting them will be ahead of you, but the only thing you can do about that is become EXP or PLT. Best of luck
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ValiantFlyer
I wouldn't be so sure about not being able to get UG'ed to CUN. Leaving that aside, coming from other posts... your chances are best within your group based on check in time. So if you're the first one checked-in in GLD with an upgrade request, it's about as best you can do. Still all the EXP and PLT requesting them will be ahead of you, but the only thing you can do about that is become EXP or PLT. Best of luck
Does checking in electronically count? Meaning if I check in as soon as I'm allowed to do so online that would up my chances?

Or do you mean when I arrive at the airport?

Thanks -- and my apologies if these are mundane questions. ;-)
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by neptuno3
Does checking in electronically count? Meaning if I check in as soon as I'm allowed to do so online that would up my chances?

Check in online as close to the 24-hour mark as you can. That check-in time will count.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Try flying at off times or off days. Its easier to get an upgrade when its not Monday morning or Thursday evening, because on those flights, many business people with higher status are flying to and from work.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy
Try flying at off times or off days. Its easier to get an upgrade when its not Monday morning or Thursday evening, because on those flights, many business people with higher status are flying to and from work.
True of most flights. However, OP is flying to Cancun meaning that avoiding business crowds is not a primary concern.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG GLD, MR GLD
I too am a newly minted Gold and actually was successfuly in getting my first elite upgrade on 12/29 DEN-DFW. I would buy a few upgrades to have in the bank. I think one of the key things you have to do is check in online right at 24 hours before. There are numerous threads with other great strategies too. Most of the experienced AA flyers on FT will tell you there's not much hope for Gold upgrades, but it never hurts to try!
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:25 am

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
I have not been gold in a long time but last time I flew to Cancun in April there were several empty first class seats. Vacation destinations seem to be easy to ger upgraded.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:28 am
Original Poster

And purchased 500-mile upgrades never expire, correct?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by moldavian
It will be impossible to get an upgrade.
Not true at all. Very much depends on route but I think I was about 75% when I was gold.

If you don't want to fork over the moeny right away for the stickers, wait and see if you go through at the 24 hour mark to buy them. You can also check loads at EF and get an idea of what your chances are.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by neptuno3

You won't be able to checkin online for CUN.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As far as future flights for the OP, as other posters have indicated traveling at off peak times will help with UPGs. I travel typically off peak and even as a prior GLD from 2002 through 2004 my UPGs usually cleared and I got a fair number of OP UPG (the best kind.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:58 am
hm3

Programs: AA Gold, 1 mm
Originally Posted by tazi
Not true at all. Very much depends on route but I think I was about 75% when I was gold.
I agree. In 18 round trips BDL/POS over the last few years, I have only failed to upgrade on one segment of some 76 possible. On other routes it has been very rare no matter what tactic I pursued.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
I was a 10% success rate as a GLD... however, most of my flights involved travel to and from SFO, SJC, or OAK out of DFW. These routes get a lot of EXPs and PLTs and it is hard to get the upg.

Of course, 51K miles in '07 will hopefully translate to a lot more PLT UPGs in '08!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.