Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
SRQ-MIA inaugural flight observations

DEC13 SRQ-MIA #4986 Dep.3:34p ATR72

My itn: SRQ-MIA-ORD-LHR-IST

I was impressed that on the first day American Airlines sign was hung overhead at the outside drop off area. It's at the first door as you pull up to the terminal.

The check in desk was decorated with baloons and had about 5-6 people working. The TAs were airport services employees but they were supervised by couple of AE guys brought in to train them. Each check in had to be approved by an AE agent before finalizing the deal. The AE supervisor noticed my EXP status and took over the check in although the nice lady from airport services did everything correctly so he basically just printed the BPs.

He then informed me that because of my status he will personally walk me through security and to the gate. It wasn't really needed but it was a nice gesture on his part. Security was a breeze as there was nobody there. With all the commotion and having a conversation with the AE supervisor I forgot to take out my ziplock bag full of 3oz. liquids out my carry on. I was never called out on that. TSA at it's best once again.

The gate area was decorated with more baloons. There was a big table set up with complimentary juices, sodas, water, cookies, pretzels, etc. A local TV news crew was filming and interviewing the AE station mngr and the local US congressman who I was told was partly responsible for bringing AA back to SRQ. The AE station mngr asked me if I would agree to a quick interview. I politely refused. The congressman came over to shake my hand. These guys just can't resist little politicking whenever possible...

Sarasota is growing leaps and bounds and is very affluent but sometimes it still has the feeling of a small hick town. I felt like I was on the Andy Griffith show... The TV, the congressman, few airport reps and few AE people to see off ATR72 flight that had ~15-20 passengers on that day, 1/2 of them AE employees going back to MIA.

The boarding took just minutes. The FA informed me that because of my status everything was complimentary. I had a glass of wine. The short flight was uneventful. In fact it was ~15 minutes early arriving in MIA.

The load was also very light during my return a week later but I guess that it's part of a deal on a new route. I talked to a group of French tourists and they had no idea about or any particular preference to AA, AE. It was their travel agent that booked them on this flight to their final vacation destination, Sarasota. The few vacationing Americans also had no preference. They booked their flights on Orbitz, Expedia and this was the least expensive option and that's why they were flying AE to SRQ. I believe that the only other person besides me that specifically picked this flight was a cargo airline pilot working for Atlas Air that lives in Sarasota but is based out of MIA. Atlas has some kind of a deal with AA to transport their pilots.

I hope AA gives this route a chance and perhaps adds another destination (DFW or ORD) at some point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.