Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ireland Run - Immigration?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:00 pm

Programs: EI Silver, AF Ivory, SPG Gold, HH, IHG Priority Club, Choice Privileges
Greetings all;

Most of the Immigration Officers at DUB are aware of MR's, I am aware that last week, 2 arrived from ORD into DUB and headed out again, with one guy doing it again the same day...yes, thats two MR's tail to tail ORD-DUB-ORD, then ORD-DUB-ORD. Also the same day another Flyertalk member did a PHL-DUB-PHL with US
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Goldpointsplus Gold, Avis First
Boarding Pass for the return from DUB to ORD

If you are going to do this MR and come back right after you land get your return boarding pass in the USA. Once you go through passposrt control in DUB you can go directly to the security without having to see an agent to get you BP. There are at least two different passport control areas. The immigration officers are aware of the MR's being done by us addicts. Just ask where to go for transiting.

I made this run 2 yrs ago and the flight ORD DUB arrived quite late. I went to check in and get my boarding pass and was told that there wasn't anyone available to process me. They are not AA employees and they check-in all the pax as if the flight was leaving on time and then they go to the gate to process the passengers once more. I had to beg to get someone to check me in. The person I spoke knew that what I was saying was fact. I had just arrived from ORD only a few mins before showing up to check-in. I was lucky and got my BP, but I might be telling a different tale here.

You might have to ask more than one stateside agent for the DUB ORD BP. I was refused by the agent in the Flagship lounge but prevailed in the Admirals Club. Don't take no for an answer. Some agents just don't know how to do it.

Once you go through the transit area and arrive at the gate make yourself known to the agents who will boarding the flight back to ORD. They will ask you the usual security questions and put a sticker on the back of your passport. When you start to board you will stopped and interviewed by an agent on the jetway. When they realize that you don't have the sticker they will bring you back in to a laltop they use for this purpose. Save your self more time and tell them you are transiting when you get to the gate. There are others who have arrived on different airlines that have transited to the AA flight so this is not an unusual situation.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA and Marriot
Thanks for some great posts, especially the detail! Definitely very helpful and I'm now confident everything will go smoothly!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:58 pm

Programs: Primary: AA & Marriott; Also Hilton, JetBlue and United
Originally Posted by Need A Beach
If I do have to go through the immigration thing at DUB and he asks why I'm there, how do I explain the whole idea behind a mileage run? Do I simply say, "American offered me a lot of fringe benefits if I flew internationally this weekend?"
I did the same thing about two years ago. A bunch of us on the same flight into SNN from BOS. We went through Immigration and all indicated the MR. I told them I'd be in Ireland for about 3 hours and was just going across the street for breakfast. They laughed and said we were crazy, but they knew all about it.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 6:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Greetings!

I wonder if this poor chap in need of liniment is anyone we know? Seems he should be flogged for not at least overnighting and sopping up a bit of the "black stuff."

Anyway, there we have it - they're on to us!

Originally Posted by flame
Greetings all;

Most of the Immigration Officers at DUB are aware of MR's, I am aware that last week, 2 arrived from ORD into DUB and headed out again, with one guy doing it again the same day...yes, thats two MR's tail to tail ORD-DUB-ORD, then ORD-DUB-ORD. Also the same day another Flyertalk member did a PHL-DUB-PHL with US
Old May 7, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Originally Posted by whynotfly
If you are going to do this MR and come back right after you land get your return boarding pass in the USA. Once you go through passposrt control in DUB you can go directly to the security without having to see an agent to get you BP. There are at least two different passport control areas. The immigration officers are aware of the MR's being done by us addicts. Just ask where to go for transiting.

You might have to ask more than one stateside agent for the DUB ORD BP. I was refused by the agent in the Flagship lounge but prevailed in the Admirals Club. Don't take no for an answer. Some agents just don't know how to do it.

Once you go through the transit area and arrive at the gate make yourself known to the agents who will boarding the flight back to ORD. They will ask you the usual security questions and put a sticker on the back of your passport. When you start to board you will stopped and interviewed by an agent on the jetway. When they realize that you don't have the sticker they will bring you back in to a laltop they use for this purpose. Save your self more time and tell them you are transiting when you get to the gate. There are others who have arrived on different airlines that have transited to the AA flight so this is not an unusual situation.
This is a really good adivce.

BOARDING PASS: It took three requests, but I was finally able to get my return BP issued in ORD, which was a good think since DUB immigration took forever (and I was lucky...those who were slower off the plane or on the long walk to immigration clearly waited well over an hour).

DUB GATE AREA: Since I had my BP issued in ORD, I simply went right back through security...no problems. However, when I tried to board the plane I was stopped since I was missing the extra security sticker. They took me to a different area, booted up a laptop, checked me out and then asked LOTS of quetions. A real hassle. As noted by the poster above, save yourself the time/hassle and let someone know when you arrive back at the gate that you have transited.

Last edited by AA-Platinum; Jan 5, 2009 at 9:28 pm Reason: typo
Old May 7, 2008, 10:10 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
I did a run as part of AADER promotion this past weekend: LAX-ORD-DUB-LHR-LAX-SFO. Although my fare was LAX-DUB-SFO, I was able to get my LAX-ORD-DUB-LHR boarding passes @ LAX.

On arrival @ DUB, you do have to go through immigration. I said I was in transit to LHR on a mileage run that would take me back to the US that afternoon. The officer asked if I had my DUB-LHR boarding pass and what time my flight was. He quickly stamped my passport with an Irish visa that allowed me to connect that day.

I followed the signs to flight connections which put me at a security checkpoint which dumped me airside @ DUB. From there, I could simply head to my gate for the LHR flight.

Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.