Wiki Posts
Search

Finding the reason for a flight delay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM
Finding the reason for a flight delay

I'm trying to help someone figure out why their flight from LA to DFW was delayed a few days ago, as it caused major problems with continued travel. I've seen people post those details before, but can't figure out where to find them. I tried Expert Flyer, but either it wasn't there, or I looked in the wrong place.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Try aacargo.com
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
EF used to have all these details. No more.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:24 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Try aacargo.com
Only seems to go back 7 days tho from what I am seeing ..
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by JGR01
Only seems to go back 7 days tho from what I am seeing ..
Yea - but since OP mentioned a "few days ago" I thought it might help.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Crap, I needed it from 11/18. Are there any other sources? Will AA tell me if I call them? Here's the scenario: boss was on 2442 on 11/18. It was delayed, causing him to miss 2167. Because of that, he missed his connection that he hadn't booked through AA, and had to pay almost double for a new ticket to his final destination. While I know AA is only responsible for getting him to San Jose, I will advise him to write a letter if the delay was mechanical, but will tell him not to bother if it was weather, but I need a way to verify the actual cause.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by JumboD
Crap, I needed it from 11/18. Are there any other sources? Will AA tell me if I call them? Here's the scenario: boss was on 2442 on 11/18. It was delayed, causing him to miss 2167. Because of that, he missed his connection that he hadn't booked through AA, and had to pay almost double for a new ticket to his final destination. While I know AA is only responsible for getting him to San Jose, I will advise him to write a letter if the delay was mechanical, but will tell him not to bother if it was weather, but I need a way to verify the actual cause.
Your boss didn't have a connection at SJO, only at DFW. So there's no point in writing a letter.

BTW, does your boss have no idea why 2442 was delayed? Did AA not make any announcements?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
The a/c was late leaving MSY...it went MSY-DFW-LAX. There is no narrative in the delay report. It definately wasn't crew rest, maybe a small mechanical issue. They left MSY about 30 min late
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
Your boss didn't have a connection at SJO, only at DFW. So there's no point in writing a letter.

BTW, does your boss have no idea why 2442 was delayed? Did AA not make any announcements?
He's still on vacation, and I got this from his asst. (she knows who the travel guru in the office is ), so I don't know the reason for the delay, and I'm not sure she does either. What I am fairly certain of is that he was delayed a day at DFW, so even if SJO were the final destination (which in AA's mind, it was), his vacation was delayed a day.

The bottom line is that he wants to write a letter, so a letter will be written. I just want the most valid argument (delay in getting to SJO), and all the facts, as I will be drafting it for him.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AEpilot76
The a/c was late leaving MSY...it went MSY-DFW-LAX. There is no narrative in the delay report. It definately wasn't crew rest, maybe a small mechanical issue. They left MSY about 30 min late
Hmm... then I wonder whether there was a bigger problem at DFW or LAX, because I was told that 2442 left LAX something like 2hrs late to head back to DFW. Is there any chance it was WX related? I just need to confirm that it wasn't before drafting the letter.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
In New Orleans, 30 minutes late is considered to be on time!

So how late was the turn at LAX? He should have been able to make his connection if the flight was only 30 minutes late.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:03 pm

Hmm... then I wonder whether there was a bigger problem at DFW or LAX, because I was told that 2442 left LAX something like 2hrs late to head back to DFW. Is there any chance it was WX related? I just need to confirm that it wasn't before drafting the letter.
It left 1hr 2 min late from LAX
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

It left 1hr 2 min late from LAX
Do we know why?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

So it just got better: their return flight was delayed out of SJO today, they arrived in MIA late, bags were last off (even though PLT is supposed to have priority on int'l flights), and they arrived at their connecting gate at 5:46 (for what I assume was 649, departing at 6:15, only to be turned away at the gate. I had thought they had until 20min prior to departure to be in the gate area, but is it longer? This was the domestic segment.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:16 pm

Do we know why?

From the late inbound...It was late leaving MSY, then late leaving DFW. They just couldn't make up the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.