Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

VIP: can't confirm domestic portion of international trip first?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

I've on several occasions had the domestic portion of an international trip confirmed prior to the international part clearing. In one instance it was the only thing that kept the VIP alive. Agent said today that I couldn't do that. Is this now true (rule change?) or misinformed agent?
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Originally Posted by sts603
I've on several occasions had the domestic portion of an international trip confirmed prior to the international part clearing. In one instance it was the only thing that kept the VIP alive. Agent said today that I couldn't do that. Is this now true (rule change?) or misinformed agent?
I'm pretty sure you can do it--in fact, I currently have a reservation in which the upgrade on the domestic sector is confirmed, and the upgrade on the international sector is still waitlisted. The point is that I had to be willing to burn the VIP for the domestic sector even if the international sector never clears.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by card1953
I'm pretty sure you can do it--in fact, I currently have a reservation in which the upgrade on the domestic sector is confirmed, and the upgrade on the international sector is still waitlisted. The point is that I had to be willing to burn the VIP for the domestic sector even if the international sector never clears.

I have two reservations right now that I was only able to secure the upgrade on the domestic portion at time of booking (SFO-Brussels / Barcelona-SFO). International u/g has cleared on both already. I have done this on every international flight I have been on and only had one person tell me she wasn't supposed to do it, but I was persistent, telling her that I was willing to take a chance that the international u/g may not come thru (it's so worth it to me to guarantee the SFO - JFK portion!).

cat22
Old Nov 24, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
i have done this recently in october. You just have to be willing to burn the VIP even if the intl leg doesn't clear. The agent was fine with doing this...and i do not believe there has been a policy change.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
VIPs do NOT have to be used on international itineraries, they can be booked on any flight that is eligible, including purely domestic itineraries. You may not want to burn one on a short domestic trip, but this is most definitely valid.

I used a few that way recently (MM level plus requal plus the special 25th anniversary bonus, all at the same time that I had to cancel at least two transoceanic trips that I normally take, lead to an excess of eVIPs this year).
Old Nov 24, 2007, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by eightmillionmiler
VIPs do NOT have to be used on international itineraries, they can be booked on any flight that is eligible, including purely domestic itineraries. You may not want to burn one on a short domestic trip, but this is most definitely valid.

I used a few that way recently (MM level plus requal plus the special 25th anniversary bonus, all at the same time that I had to cancel at least two transoceanic trips that I normally take, lead to an excess of eVIPs this year).
As i understand it, the OPs issue is not one of using the eVIP for a domestic route, but rather that s/he can only confirm the domestic portion now and has been told that the eVIP cannot be waitlisted for the int'l upgrade.

In my experience, this is not the case, so you should probably call and talk to someone else. Before doing this however - do you have an long gap between the domestic and int'l flights - this could be complicating the issue perhaps.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bdemaria
As i understand it, the OPs issue is not one of using the eVIP for a domestic route, but rather that s/he can only confirm the domestic portion now and has been told that the eVIP cannot be waitlisted for the int'l upgrade.

In my experience, this is not the case, so you should probably call and talk to someone else. Before doing this however - do you have an long gap between the domestic and int'l flights - this could be complicating the issue perhaps.
I usually fly internationally on a 'B' fare, using 10K miles each way to upgrade (only Plat, so I don't have EVIPs). I have always been able to secure the domestic portion, and confirm that I am waitlisted for the Int'l portion, so I know it works that way as well.

cat22
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I would never confirm the domestic leg before the international part clears, but maybe that's just me. The only exception would be if I were trying to extend the validity of my eVIPs on the last day of February.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2+MM
Originally Posted by vasantn
I would never confirm the domestic leg before the international part clears, but maybe that's just me. The only exception would be if I were trying to extend the validity of my eVIPs on the last day of February.
It's not just you. On the domestic routes that I fly, I've had very good luck with complimentary EXP upgrades, so I won't burn an eVip for that. So far, I've been successful on every eVIP upgrade, though some of them clear at the airport.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL D, AA LTP 2.6MM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
If you cannot confirm the UG when you book, you can request that only the international portion of your flight be covered by the EVIP.
I have had several flights where the Domestic portion of my flight clears at 100 hours and the international piece later.
If you split the domestic and international, you don't need to be concerned that you burn the EVIP on the domestic segment(s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.