Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade possibilities on ORD-DEL route

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2007, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-2MM, AC
Upgrade possibilities on ORD-DEL route

What are the chances of an eVIP upgrade at booking time for flights booked about two months out (travel in Feb 2008). EF shows C0, but there is supposed to be expanded C availability for EXP. Flights currently show J7 and some also D7.

I can confirm BA Economy Plus for close to economy prices, but that is not nearly as nice...
Old Nov 22, 2007, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by yul2005
What are the chances of an eVIP upgrade at booking time for flights booked about two months out (travel in Feb 2008). EF shows C0, but there is supposed to be expanded C availability for EXP. Flights currently show J7 and some also D7.

I can confirm BA Economy Plus for close to economy prices, but that is not nearly as nice...
Done the RT 4 times, 3 of them with a companion. Upgrades have never failed to clear. At booking? You'll have to call.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
6 roundtrips ord-del . . . 12 evips, all cleared, never middle seat, usually 3 days before flight . . . YMMV
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Have done the RT solo and also with four family members (including myself), totaling 10 eVIPs. All cleared. Have another on waitlist for early Dec and am not worried at all that it will clear.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:46 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
2 for 2 here.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:51 am

business awards easy too?

Are business awards on this route as easy to get as the upgrades? I would book at -330, am lifetime Gold (does status matter for awards?).

Sylvia
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
Are business awards on this route as easy to get as the upgrades? I would book at -330, am lifetime Gold (does status matter for awards?).

Sylvia
MileSAAver awards are harder to come by than upgrades, based on what I've heard. Status doesn't come into play unless you're on a waitlist.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
2 for 2 here.
4 for 4 here - DEL does seem to be one of the easier destinations to use e-VIPs.

Unrelated to the topic, but relevant to the destination - remember that Feb is the tail end of the "fog season" in DEL when planning any connections to/from ORD-DEL.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:02 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Outbound cleared shortly after purchase/request in August for 12/8 trip. Return just cleared today! HOOOORAY! I was starting to sweat! Not only that...but an aisle seat came open for a split second and was able to get that too...Thanks to an AAngel! I'm a happy camper today! Thanks to EVERYBODY! woohoo!

Have to say though...as this was my first EVIP waitlist (and last I hope now that I have EF thanks to FT!) never got a "C" alert from EF. I thought seats always went into "C" if only for a minute before being processed. So I remain ignorant....BUT happy!^
Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by phlashba
Outbound cleared shortly after purchase/request in August for 12/8 trip. Return just cleared today! HOOOORAY! I was starting to sweat! Not only that...but an aisle seat came open for a split second and was able to get that too...Thanks to an AAngel! I'm a happy camper today! Thanks to EVERYBODY! woohoo!

Have to say though...as this was my first EVIP waitlist (and last I hope now that I have EF thanks to FT!) never got a "C" alert from EF. I thought seats always went into "C" if only for a minute before being processed. So I remain ignorant....BUT happy!^
When I've set alerts for either eVip Intl C inventory or mileage domestic A upgrades on EF, I have NEVER received the alert as I clear the waitlist. I suspect (but have no proof) that when RM clears any form of upgrade, in advance, it is cleared into a 'masked' bucket (simliar to the 'C' inventory the EP desk uses for the expanded availability) and hence EF will never alert these clearing, as it cannot see the inventory. I've heard EF does help a lot in the last 24 hours and/or under AP control. (Happily, I've always cleared the waitlist before that time!)
Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:21 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Makes sense! That would certainly explain it. I learn something new at least once a day.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
When I've set alerts for either eVip Intl C inventory or mileage domestic A upgrades on EF, I have NEVER received the alert as I clear the waitlist. I suspect (but have no proof) that when RM clears any form of upgrade, in advance, it is cleared into a 'masked' bucket (simliar to the 'C' inventory the EP desk uses for the expanded availability) and hence EF will never alert these clearing, as it cannot see the inventory. I've heard EF does help a lot in the last 24 hours and/or under AP control. (Happily, I've always cleared the waitlist before that time!)
I have received C alerts twice in the last year (JFK-CDG and GRU-MIA), and been able to call and grab the seats. But those were exceptions to the rule. My assumption has always been that EF polls for C inventory infrequently (I assume there is a cost involved), so you have to be lucky to get the alert.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Originally Posted by vasantn
My assumption has always been that EF polls for C inventory infrequently (I assume there is a cost involved), so you have to be lucky to get the alert.
Vasantn's assumption was confirmed for me in a response from EF customer serice, after I wrote them about receiving upgrades without getting an alert (happens to me a lot).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.